Arguing or Disagreeing as Captain and FO

Comments

• RedPillLearningRedPillLearning My Technology EnclaveSilver Member Posts: 134
    This is a very interesting read as I am a recovering beta-dishwasher (wife also a SAHM).

Sorry, but will someone tell me what is meant by A&A?  I checked the glossary of terms but I don't see it listed.
    “The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others.” - Nietzsche

http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/10161/redpilllearning-s-introduction
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    A&A is agree and amplify

it is a response tactic for when she says something accusatorily negative to / about you .. you agree with it in an exaggerated playful way that makes it clear you are dismissing it as ridiculous .... and then you amplify - take her accusation to an even wilder extreme exageration

e.g. her: " you only want me for sex"

you: "duh - of course i want you for sex. lots of it. but also i want you to go get me a sandwich."
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================
    TenneenewredpillrecruitAngeline
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    Good job, @MiddleMan‌ !
  • MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
    Thanks, @Katt! This comes on the heels of some pretty good sex last night. I wonder if her request is in any way (even unconsciously) related.

I'm not accusing her at all and I'm assuming only good, non-ulterior intentions on her part. It's just the sort of thing I think about now that I'm MAPping.
    newredpillrecruitKattOlddog
  • hoping4betterhoping4better Member Posts: 1,223
    Great job.  This shows good progress.  maybe a little formal but that's just my take, maybe you guys talk like that.

Doubly good for not caving post sex.  The key to retraining is being consistent.  So stay consistent.

see women love having all these crazy fantasy ideas and they really love when a man reals it back in for them, because most of the time they can't do it themselves....   So again, great job.

She will start coming to you more and more for approval with all kinds of mundane shit.  It can be really annoying but just keep in mind everytime she does you are reinforcing yourself as the leader of the relationship.

also don't get thrown when she comes to you, probably very soon, with one of these kinds of tests and then goes apeshit and does not smile and back off of it.  Be ready.  be calm and be consistent and don't take her shit.

Nice.
    Tennee
    Is there an "Internet Fist-Bump" button? I'd like to click that for you, @hoping4better‌. Thanks for the encouragement.

My wife and I sometimes talk like that. We usually write like that. (Years of college and grad school.) And above all, I just wanted to be neutral and factual, as opposed to emotional, in my response. If this were in person as opposed to in an email, it would have been a lot more difficult.

I will be ready for the next test.
    AngelineKattOlddog
  • ZoroasterZoroaster Silver Member Posts: 735
    My wife and I "argue" about politics all the time, but that's more a shared hobby than anything else. We have few real fights, because we plan out our goals first, agree on them, and then it's all about the best path to get from where we are to where we want to be.

Then again, I looked long and hard for a partner who was both smart and habitually low-drama.
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    She will start coming to you more and more for approval with all kinds of mundane shit.  It can be really annoying but just keep in mind everytime she does you are reinforcing yourself as the leader of the relationship.
    Yep!  Pay attention - this is easy to brush off/ignore if you're not listening.   Don't miss this opportunity to Captain.  I flubbed this a bit, because I wasn't paying attention.  

Today:

W:  Can I count shopping / walking today as a gym visit?
    Me:  No, if you blow it off today you have to make it up tomorrow.
    W:  Ok, I'll go in the morning

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    I don't remember the exact words, but she told me that she was feeling insecure that I wasn't satisfied with our sex life. I told her "I'm through talking" and started kissing her. But she decided to interpret this as me cutting off all discussion and not listening to her! (Just like the issue she raised in my initial post on this discussion.)

I went with amused mastery. I kept eye contact with her and told her to tell me where she's coming from. I told her that if she's worried about my attraction to her that she should pay attention to my actions; they speak louder than any words. I quickly got to a point where she and I agreed that there wasn't any current problem. I even joked (in a playful, confident tone) that "When you replay this conversation to yourself later, you're going to feel silly."

And this worked very well. She felt heard, there were no hard feelings, I maintained a confident, amused frame, and we proceeded to bed where I gave her a full body massage before some pretty decent sex.

OK - to recap for others...  she gave you the "tell me i'm pretty" shit test, a form of LMR...  and instead of being literal, and telling her, or supplicating and killing attraction or worse arguing with her, getting defensive, frustrated and angry...   You went with amused mastery, kept joking in a confident way, held frame and had sex...  Perfect man!

This is the best default frame state to have IMO, because you get to stay confident at first and if it is a situation that really is serious and you need to get serious, you have that out readily available at little to no cost.  Just be sure your amused mastery doesn't veer into snarky, outright hurtful, sarcastic etc... and you can play it off if you need to bail, and then get bonus points for "really being there" etc.  Others should learn from this, develop their frame and bitch less...

MAP on...
    IOW's...  this is what James Bond would do.image
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    @hoping4better‌ "she gave you the "tell me i'm pretty" shit test, a form of LMR"

LMR???
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
  • OlddogOlddog CanadaSilver Member Posts: 743

Bump - Maybe it's time to update this thread? :)

You mention she has control issues - submissiveness thread.

So I'm curious, how is the arguing going?  Are you leading/communicating better? Are you achieving goals together, somewhat smoothly? Have you cut back on the win-at-all-costs style of arguing?

(I was married to an all-star debater. Not good. So I say this as someone whose been in your wife's shoes: I was not submissive with him. YMMV...)

"STOP.THAT." - Tennee
    "So it seems to me, that you can in fact, you can teach an old dog new tricks" - Jamie Hyneman
    "So that's like a foursome every time you guys get it on!  - Monkeys_Uncle h/t Katherine Kelly

We haven't been arguing much lately. It's definitely a fine line between always being right and simply holding frame.

Tennee
  • OneEyedDrunkOneEyedDrunk Out West Silver Member Posts: 1,808

Look at the great sets of Captains/FO's out there and see how they do it. 

Picard/Riker

Adama/Tigh

Kirk/Spock

I think my style as a Captain is somewhere between Kirk and Picard. My wife agrees I would be ready at times to jump in to a fight with Phaser at the ready depending on the circumstances. However, most situations are not like that. Some things I say to get some discussion are as follows:

"Options #1" (I often already know the options, but this gives good dialogue. When her and I come up with a plan, then I say "Make it so". This is how Picard leads. 

"What are your thoughts?"

Again, I'm the Captain. My decision stands. It's also a decision that we have discussed fully depending on the situation. That gets more "buy in" and less resistance. If it's an emergency? I don't discuss jack shit. I act. Then she sees what just happened.

oneeyeddrunk.weebly.com
  • OlddogOlddog CanadaSilver Member Posts: 743
    MiddleMan said:

We haven't been arguing much lately. It's definitely a fine line between always being right and simply holding frame.

Going back to the OP, do you think she is feeling she's being 'heard'?

"STOP.THAT." - Tennee
    "So it seems to me, that you can in fact, you can teach an old dog new tricks" - Jamie Hyneman
    "So that's like a foursome every time you guys get it on!  - Monkeys_Uncle h/t Katherine Kelly
    Tennee

I do. We had a talk about our Love Languages that was constructive and productive, for example.

Olddog
  • RedfordRedford The Great White NorthSilver Member Posts: 679

Yes, but that is in great parts for your benefit. Do you think she feels heard about things that affect her more than is affects you?  Or do you shut her up while justifying it as debating?

Tennee
  • soa2005soa2005 United statesSilver Member Posts: 631

I know this happened awhile ago but the conversation about fostering a puppy was handled perfectly. Often times, when I'm leading well, my wife will defer all types of questions like this to me. They're really easy wins and help reassure me that I'm on the right path. 

@leticia

Brings up a great question. How do you handle your wife when she discusses emotions as opposed to real life problems? They are two different things completely and need to be handled differently. 

For example: When your wife asked you about the puppy she was looking for guidance. She also may have been testing you. You responded strongly and gave her a "leading" type answer. In my opinion that was perfect. 

But how do you handle scenarios where your wife discusses her feelings? In the past my wife would state "I'm sad right now because xyz" or "I'm unhappy because xyz". Sometimes, assuming we were in a good place at the moment, I would be shocked by her feelings. Because I felt we were in a good place I would attempt to argue her out of her feelings. ( fucked up huh?). I would use logic to invalidate her emotions. (" how can you be sad right now, we did dinner and a movie Friday night and Saturday night we went to your friends party?"). My logic would prevail and she would bottle up the emotions she felt because I never validated her feelings. 

Long winded, I know. My advice to you is that if this sounds familiar make it a huge priority to stop yourself from this behavior. Feelings are not right or wrong , they're just feelings. Nowadays if my wife wants to discuss her feelings I listen. I no longer try and talk her out of those feelings. Usually after discussing her feelings, she'll end up coming to me the next day and telling me thank you and that she feels better. 

AngelineOlddogTennee