Complimenting Your Wife's Looks? Beta or Alpha?

PupPup Silver Member Posts: 346
I've been married over 7 years to a great woman.  She's always (since her early teens) been a little (sometimes a lot) heavier than she'd like and in her late 30's still has some body image issues.  She has had 3 kids and is pregnant with another and just starting to show.  She's 5'7" and about 165-170 lbs.  Her body is not a problem for me, (I tell her I love her big butt, her legs, grab, feel them, etc.) but she did look better when we got married and she was about 145lbs.

Enough background...

She typically has difficulty finding an outfit she thinks she looks good in in the morning when getting ready for work.  Sometimes it takes her 20 minutes worth of trying on different clothes before settling on one she can live with.  I try to "help" her feel better about her looks in the morning by telling her she looks nice, looks good, etc.  She always seems distantly, mildly appreciative.  This morning I told her enthusiastically that the outfit she wore "makes her look thinner."

After the words came out of my mouth I immediately thought..."Was that a "neg" that I just gave her?"  Could something like that spin her hamster into wondering if I meant that as a compliment or if it means she's usually frumpy and fat looking?

She believes I am the better looking of us, but that she has the better personality.  I won't disagree, although I think she has a very pretty face.

I want my compliments to be received by her as a more attractive Alpha accepting her as "worthy" or fuckable...NOT as a desperate Beta hoping to win her favor.  How can I maintain my frame and still reassure my wife that she looks nice.  Or is it out of frame to do that?

Questions:

1) Is issuing compliments DHV?  Is it DHV or DLV to issue frequent/regular compliments on appearance to a good and loving wife who has body image issues, who seems to be getting numb to compliments after years of receiving them?
2) Is it a "neg" to say that an outfit makes a woman "look thinner"?  With a vain woman, this would be the man's answer to the "does these pants make my butt look big" question.  She's not the type to ask if this outfit makes her butt look big, and accepts her body.  She has NEVER asked how she looks, but often expresses dissatisfaction at how she looks.  She is not vain at all and I love her.
3) Can the complimenting of appearance be DHV if given as a neg, and DLV if given simply to show that I accept and love my wife?
4) How can I "help" my wife feel secure with what she's wearing/her body image without DLV? Or should I even want her to feel secure???
5) Is complimenting my wife's appearance sabotaging my MAP efforts to grow a gap between our looks (me looking hotter than her) in her mind.

Comments

• PupPup Silver Member Posts: 346
    A follow up comment/question:

As I re-read this, I realize that one sentence I wrote above may be more telling/significant to my MAP than anything else:

"She believes I am the better looking of us, but that she has the better personality."

I have been going to the gym and am already a couple/few points better looking than Mrs. Pup.  In the MAP book Athol says we should not try to get small improvements in areas we are already green, and go for the yellow and red areas first.  Should I really start focusing on my personality, and how to I do that?  How can I be the charming, charismatic jerkboy I used to be?  The one that was more secure than her back in the good old days?
    liquid
    edited March 2014
    @Mandrill Thanks for correcting me on the word "vain" and for your insights. 
    @liquid Yes, I am trying to help make her feel better about her growing body because she's pregnant.  I feel myself trying to offer a little more comliments so she will feel attractive/pretty.

However, as Mandrill has said in some of his responses, she's not asking how she looks...I wonder if I am undermining my own MAP by trying to make her feel more secure. 

Also, the looks department is probably getting more focus than it should when I really need to be working on my personality...which is probably way harder.  She said I can be "abrasive" - which is true.  I also don't feel as attractive from a personality point of view.  I would like to be more attractive on a non-physical level.  How the hell do I do that???
  • seriouslyseriously The mittenSilver Member Posts: 1,134
    Good - "Babe, you look great."  Smile, walk away.

Great - No words, stern look, whip out your boner.  "Yup, you look hot."  Molest the hell out of her.

Bad - "Uh, umm ... sweetie, you look fine, really, I'm serious."  Stand there looking like a gimp, with no confidence, waiting for her reaction.

Seriously's way - "Hmm, let's have a look."  Serious inspection, turn her around, look her over head to toe, especially anterior mid torso (breasts) and posterior (butt)  ...  start to slip her out of her clothes, while saying "you look too good to ignore."
    PupHildaCornersJellyBean
  • liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    Basically, what@Mandrill said.

"When you were a "charming, charismatic jerkboy" were you too abrasive? Have you become more abrasive?"

I was in my prime.  I had "passion" about things like politics and our country, but I don't think I was angry or abrasive back then. 

Since then I have had to take on more responsibility for a family, kids, etc. Job sucks, even though I make 2x more.  I get short with the kids.  I am critical of my wife when she displeases me.  I get petty about things that shouldn't be a big deal.  I also get pissed about how our country is going down the shitter and I get angry about things I can't control.  I guess she sees that as abrasive.  She's right, I'm not an attractive personality.

My wife hasn't changed, I have become less attractive as a person, and probably am trying to compensate for that by being more attractive visually.  I don't think it works that way though...I want her to be more attracted to who I am, and I can't seem to figure that part out.  Complimenting her looks probably does nothing to help me.

• sting129sting129 Silver Member Posts: 488
    over-thinking it
    Pup[Deleted User]TPokeredheaded_woman
    edited March 2014
    sting129 said:
    over-thinking it
    Textbook for me...Over think everything, which gets me into more trouble then it solves.  Part of me wonders if any of my "efforts" (over thinking my relationship with my wife) have helped more than hurt...I guess working out can't hurt.  INTJ (my type) sucks in interpersonal and especially romantic relationships
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    The_Dude said:
    "I also get pissed about how our country is going down the shitter and I get angry about things I can't control." I used to do this too. I quit a few years ago. Still read the news. Still know what's happening. Just stopped obsessing about it. It's a giant negative energy drain on you and those around you for no good reason. And it's not attractive.
    This a hundred times!
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    JellyBean
  • MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
    Kheldar said:

About 10 years ago, I just flat stopped watching TV "news." It has helped me dial down the anger about the country going down the shitter. I scratch my civic itch by focusing on state and local issues where I can personally get involved if I choose. Newspapers are usually less emotionally manipulative -- TV just wants to get you angry or scared enough to keep watching through the next commercial. 

Abso-farking-lutely. TV "news" has no informational value at all anymore. They just try to spin you up to keep you watching.

It's a bit sad, but you can probably get better news coverage from watching The Daily Show than a regular "news" program.

But I agree that it's pointless to complain. If there's a cause or an issue you believe in, do your best to influence it however you can. But it's necessary to acknowledge that your influence will likely be small (unless you make it a full time job).
    Monkeys_Uncle
  • KheldarKheldar IndianaSilver Member Posts: 1,565
    Well, and the other thing to realize is that things are probably nowhere near as bad as the media, pundits, and politicians peddling misery would have you believe.  If you look at the stats, in many respects, our country is in better shape than pretty much any time in the past. (There are other indicators that are slipping from previous highs, to be sure -- but it's a mixed bag.) For example, if I just watched TV news, I'd be excused for thinking that crime was high and the country was a more dangerous place than it used to be "in the good old days" when kids were raised right and knew the value of an honest day's work. Look at the crime statistics, and you'll find that they are a lot better than, say, 30 years ago.
    MiddleManAngeline
  • thealphacodesthealphacodes USASilver Member Posts: 82
    @Pup
    1) Is issuing compliments DHV?  Is it DHV or DLV to issue frequent/regular compliments on appearance to a good and loving wife who has body image issues, who seems to be getting numb to compliments after years of receiving them?
    <br> 
    It's relative to the frame/mindset, intent, delivery, and congruency of the compliment. Excuse the run on sentence... If your frame is she's not responding to me and I feel bad, your intent is I am complimenting her so I can "get" X from her," if your delivery is weak and not truly congruent with how you feel, then that's DLV. 
    2) Is it a "neg" to say that an outfit makes a woman "look thinner"?  With a vain woman, this would be the man's answer to the "does these pants make my butt look big" question.  She's not the type to ask if this outfit makes her butt look big, and accepts her body.  She has NEVER asked how she looks, but often expresses dissatisfaction at how she looks.  She is not vain at all and I love her.
    Intentional negs are statements made to reduce the perceived high value (think men put women on a pedestal) of a woman.  In other words, if there is a major spread between your sexual value, yours being the lower, a neg can be applied to reduce the "perceived value" and close the gap between. You can also call this a compliance compliment. She must comply with your expectations to meet your standards in order to feel "x." 
    3) Can the complimenting of appearance be DHV if given as a neg, and DLV if given simply to show that I accept and love my wife?
    Expression of appreciation and love for your wife is not  DLV. If dominance (power or influence over others) is expressed in the compliment, and it is a form of positive conditioning/rewarding for positive behavior that "you" feel she's demonstrated then it's DHV. You are directly influencing the behavior you want to see. If you are rewarding her by giving her compliments when she has poor diet, poor health decisions, poor body image, you are effectively conditioning her to reduce your perceived value. She places greater value on her own appearance than you do. She doesn't have to rise to the occasion or meet your standards (and your standards are healthy and good for her)-you lower the bar for her basically saying…this will do.  Hence the numbness and lack of responsiveness. Her standards and perceived value are higher than yours. 
     4) How can I "help" my wife feel secure with what she's wearing/her body image without DLV? Or should I even want her to feel secure???
    If she places value on being thing/weighing less then you complimenting her regardless of her "poor outcome" just demonstrates that you have lower standards….lower value. It's her job as a woman to follow through with the things she places value on. You can encourage behavior…not control it. Ignoring the negative behavior and rewarding the positive behavior is a start. Shape the behavior you want to see. I love how great you look in those yoga pants…I love to see you sweat…so sexy…blah blah. You are rewarding positive behavior. You absolutely want her to feel secure. If there is a major spread between two people's value shit hits the fan. If your value is a 8 and her's is a 2, then there is a high possibility you'll seek higher value as she'll seek lower. Massive discrepancies between sex ranks will ultimately produce bad situations. 

5) Is complimenting my wife's appearance sabotaging my MAP efforts to grow a gap between our looks (me looking hotter than her) in her mind.
    Complimenting her or rewarding poor behavior only increases the demonstration of the behavior. Also, if your entire frame for mapping is ALL about her reaction and not for your personal growth and development, you are simply making your entire world all about her reaction. DLV. Appreciate her for the value she brings into your life….DHV. 

Be authentic in your statements, compliment the positive behavior, and align with her personal value on the issue at hand. DLV complimenting is coming from a supplicative mindset of I am "trying/hoping" to do this (x) to "get" you to do this (y). 
    **Of course pregnant, swelling, bloating, gas, weight gain, discomfort don't exactly set the tone for "damn I feel hot". 
    Pup
  • project2501project2501 Silver Member Posts: 137
    I think if you want to get back to that playful ass you once were, then you need to get out and do something you enjoy other than work (wait you said you didn't like your job, maybe that is seeping into your overall attitude?) or working out. I know for me personally that I get a nice rush from hitting up the pool table and whooping ass in some 9 ball. It is even a bigger rush when I beat out a complete stranger who has been owning the table for half the night. Usually this sparks some conversation. Go out once a week to a place that is semi-familiar to you and chat up 5 strangers. Getting outside of your comfort zone for a bit should help rekindle your spirit.
    AngelinePup
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    AFA TV, I gave it up 12 years ago. Even while married with my skids, they didn't miss it (though they had it dad's). Straight A students, too.

So far, what I would've paid for cable has paid for 2 trips to Africa.
    The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
    Angeline
    edited March 2014
    What does this mean.

Wife during a recent fight: "I know this is really unhealthy, but I would understand if you cheated on me."

Rationale was one of... because she thinks she's not attractive enough, affectionate enough, fun enough...

She said she would completely understand if I told her I had been out to happy hour and kissed some girl.

Is this divorce bait, a low self esteem wife, loyalty test, my fault, etc?

Edit: She has said things like this a couple of times in the past.  In the frame of "If that's what you needed to be happy, if that's what you need I'd be okay with it.