Beard or no beard....

Comments

• TimitzTimitz Silver Member Posts: 820
    Maria said:
    A:Trimmed beard: Manly
    B:Three-day-beard or scrub: Hot
    C:Long beard: Grandfather or wood gnome: So not sexy
    D:Beard as form of art: Affected.

I'm going to file this away, for if I ever visit Austria again...

I'll also take it as confirmation, to continue my habit of not shaving on the weekends.
    "You must be like water which always seeks the easiest and best path around obstacles." Sun Tzu
    MariaAngelineAlphaBelle
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    My husband's is like A, maybe a tiny bit longer, at least when it's been a while since his last trim. 

H was clean shaven throughout all of dating and the first couple years of marriage. He first grew the beard for a halloween costume our 3rd year married, but then decided to keep it through the winter. I was torn. I liked the look but not the feel. He got rid of it for a while. Tried a goatee (no mustache) for a while (meh) and eventually grew back the beard. I still like the look and have grown to like the feel. It's staying now.
    cdddd
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited March 2014
    @Timitz said:

Again?
    You've been here and  not dropped by?  [-(
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    liquidAngelinePurpleBetaGeek
    Maria said:
    @Timitz said:

Again?
    You've been here and  not dropped by?  [-(
    It was when I was younger, probably 12 years ago. Now if I drop by I have to worry about being killed by an angry Austrian husband, because I was flirting with his wife like the rogue I am.  :ar!
    "You must be like water which always seeks the easiest and best path around obstacles." Sun Tzu
    MariaAngelinePurpleredheaded_woman
    @Maria, I know where I'm going if things don't work out with my wife.
    MariaPurple[Deleted User]
  • GeekyGuyAZGeekyGuyAZ Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 384
    @liquid: I have the blond hair/red beard thing going on. Wife enjoys it as well. 
    liquid
  • TemplarTemplar WashingtonSilver Member Posts: 3,371
    My 20 year old grew his beard at college. Says "chicks are diggin it."
    Angeline[Deleted User]
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    I think the beard is a significant part of the reason I get the attention I do. Most guys here my age are overweight and those younger tend to be skinny, pale, preppy types. There weren't a large percentage of guys with beards in the winter and as spring hits, I notice more of my coworkers shaving.

I've gotten exclusive with one girl but based on the reactions while I was spinning plates, I can imagine that late spring and summer would be a smorgasbord. At least here, there seems to be a far greater percentage on women who like men with facial hair than men who wear it.
  • SalukiSaluki United StatesSilver Member Posts: 649
    Slightly off topic: Facial hair in historical perspective.

"Why chase a girl that doesn't want to get caught?" - Don Draper
    "As long as you can get it up, I'll want it in." - Mrs. Saluki, just before marriage
    "I said that?!" - Mrs. Saluki 20 years later
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited April 2014
    Saluki said:
    Slightly off topic: Facial hair in historical perspective.

Very interesting graphs.
    As much as I love short, trimmed beards and scruffs I am insanely happy that sideburns seem to be a thing of the past.
    Please, whatever you do - don't revive them!

Btw, did you know that people thought beards were linked to genitalia until the 18th century? Beards were thought to grow from extra heat in the testicles - so the more impressive your beard the "hotter" you were (or your testicles). No joke!
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    [Deleted User]HildaCornersAlphaBelle
  • themacnutthemacnut Philadelphia, PASilver Member Posts: 404
    It's been my experience that if a man's clean shaven when he meets his wife, she'll expect him to stay like that pretty much for life. Same if he had facial hair when they met. If the man with facial hair shaves one day or the clean shaven guy starts growing a beard, their wives will be upset at the change.

The man has to decide for himself if it's worth the upset, conflict and possible grudges that may result from going with a facial hairstyle against his wife's preferences.
    Husband of over a decade, stepfather of 3, creator of the superhero webcomic The Vanguard.
  • BigglesworthBigglesworth AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 127
    themacnut said:
    It's been my experience that if a man's clean shaven when he meets his wife, she'll expect him to stay like that pretty much for life. Same if he had facial hair when they met. If the man with facial hair shaves one day or the clean shaven guy starts growing a beard, their wives will be upset at the change.

The man has to decide for himself if it's worth the upset, conflict and possible grudges that may result from going with a facial hairstyle against his wife's preferences.

I find it interesting that my mother asked (told?) my dad to grow a moustache before she would consider marrying him. So he did.

My now wife suggested when we were boyfriend/girlfriend that I should grow a goatee, so I did.

Shaved it off on 2 occasions in the last few years and get the reaction "what have you done to your face?!"

Grew it back because shaving is just a pain, forgotten how to shave above my top lip! :))

.... And the kids didn't recognise me.... :(
  • MrGrimmMrGrimm Silver Member Posts: 971
    It was at least five years post marriage before I ever tried facial hair.  Wife had never suggested it either.  Started with the Vandyke for the heck of it.  I'd shave it come spring because it got too itchy.  She also didn't like the prickly kisses.  Then after a couple years of that cycle I went with just the goatee.  She liked the look of the Vandyke, goatee not quite so much, but still more than no hair.  Finally a few months ago I decided to try full facial hair.  After my FIL's girlfriend told me I looked hot (it was maybe 1/8" long at that point), my wife agreed.  It doesn't really fill in enough to do a proper beard.  I've been buzzing it back to 1/8" every few weeks when it gets a but unruly.
  • SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    Hey, the women want you to take it off:

• CountryDudeCountryDude ThailandMember Posts: 115
    She probably liked it cos it was more manly, why else?

Just give it her. Or even a mustache or goatee. Facial hair is "in" again.

Aside from that, what is the hair on your head like? The old fashioned slick back is "in" again. And the modern variation (slickback undercut) works great with facial hair.

www.hairstyleonpoint.com is a great site for trendy cuts and beard combos.
  • CallmeCatCallmeCat DownsouthSilver Member Posts: 236
    Jason Statham is hot hot hot. But yea I love beards on men. I have been married 31 years and my hubby has been clean shaved until about 3 years ago. Then he decided to grow a beard and I love it on him. And it tickles (wink)
    frillyfun
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    The first 10 year of my relationship I had a mustache, I would occasionally shave it off and my my (wife) then girlfriend would tell me to grow it back. 

Now if I bring up growing it back I get a hard no from her. She doesn't like the three day scruff as it feels like sandpaper and we do (even after 30yrs) make out like teenagers. 

Now that I have some snow on the roof, I don't really want it on my face.