Athol Kay on the "Art of Charm" Podcast

Comments

• Mr_BrownMr_Brown east coastSilver Member Posts: 3,636
    I really think there are enough podcasts out there that you could join up with as a guest. It's all about getting your name out there and selling your services. I've noticed a lot of podcasts out there that were a pay for service ended up just offering the content for free.

Would I pay? Yes. Probably $0.99 a podcast. But that is because I think that your theories are spot on. And the nuggets of wisdom are worth it. Had I not known about you and your products, probably not.
    Been an uphill battle, both ways, in three feet of snow, with newspapers for shoes, but I'm a better man for it!
    Kickboxer
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    With my long commute, I devour podcasts.  I'd probably chip in $25-30 a year for a biweekly podcast.
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    haniel said:
    the most interesting podcast for me would be just listening to you coach someone. i think that's where you really shine. plus I'm getting to the point where I've enough theory for a lifetime.
    Long term that's the only way to do a very regular show.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

Reborn
  • FlyingDutchmanFlyingDutchman CaliforniaSilver Member Posts: 602
    edited March 2014

My wife used to listen to Dr. Laura constantly.  Her show was always engaging because she was talking to live callers.  The problem, of course, is that she would throw out pretty dramatic advice after hearing only a sentence or 2 from the caller.  I agreed with a lot of Dr. Laura's advice in general, but she was just too abrupt and didn't really listen to or understand the callers actual situations.  It often went like this:

Caller: "My boyfriend and I ...."
    Dr. Laura:  Immediately cuts her off "You're not married!  Are you living with him?  Are you sleeping with him?"
    Caller: "uhhhmmm..."
    Dr. Laura:  "Ok, repeat after me 'You are shacking up!'"
    Caller: "but, let me explain.."
    Dr. Laura: Interrupts again "Say it!  'I am shacking up!"
    Caller: "Can I just say something?"
    Dr. Laura: "No!  I've heard enough."  Then goes on to give life changing advice

If Athol combined his way of getting to know his clients via the triage/forum/coaching and then had podcast of actual sessions where his clients explain problem areas in their relationships and Athol giving them specific advice. I would be listening to that!
    JellyBeanMiddleMan
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    @FlyingDutchman, I agree that would be cool as hell.  I just can't figure out how somebody in Athol's position could ever approach clients and ask their permission to record and share the intimate details of their sex life with the world.  I imagine he has a lot of coaching clients who are clients specifically because they weren't comfortable sharing those kinds of details in a public forum.

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Scarlet
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    @FlyingDutchman, I agree that would be cool as hell.  I just can't figure out how somebody in Athol's position could ever approach clients and ask their permission to record and share the intimate details of their sex life with the world.  I imagine he has a lot of coaching clients who are clients specifically because they weren't comfortable sharing those kinds of details in a public forum.

Last I checked 54% of my coaching clients do not have a forum membership, and a further 24% have only a very token one.

That sort of thing wouldn't be attached to the coaching at all.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

Monkeys_UnclePurple[Deleted User]
  • FlyingDutchmanFlyingDutchman CaliforniaSilver Member Posts: 602
    @Monkeys_Uncle

Yeah, keeping everything anonymous would be a concern.  Athol would have to use fake names of course.

And for his most private clients, he can offer them a voice changing Darth Vader helmet from Toys-R-Us...

Now, its really getting interesting...
    Purple
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    edited March 2014
    I am game for podcast stuff.

Also.. folks..maybe it would be a GREAT freakin idea for a podcast because...hearing it in a different manner and all.
    Besides, the devil is in the details.  Repetition is the Mother of perfection

@mongrel:  that was on the blog about a few months ago Feb 12...I particularly liked the "Well, I have already had your cherry..so peach it is"   Great stuff
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
  • Jen_KayJen_Kay Posts: 374

/rant on

This is an interesting thread...it's taken me a while to come to terms with the old adage "you can't please all of the people all of the time".  For all of the "yay! podcast!" reactions, the first two blog comments on the podcast announcement were "podcasts suck, where's the transcript?". 

For all of the, "nah, I want my information for free (or 99 cents, which is basically free)" we get, we also get a few "you saved my marriage- I'd pay real money to see you in a video webinar, or live in a seminar...you're cheaper than a divorce lawyer, an ineffective marriage therapist, and misery".

There are new products and new ideas coming. Everything has a plan to it, and we can't develop seven things simultaneously and do it all justice.  (plus Athol is just one man, and contrary to rumor he is human) There's the whole "this is our job, there are mouths to feed" aspect. How do you balance free content for valuable fans/friends with making a living and giving paying customers new content and the one-on-one attention they pay for?

The more Athol's fans/friends/clients/peeps support what is going on now, the more ability we have to make bigger and better things happen in the future.  That's just the way the business works. (For instance, "everyone" wants a one-day conference/seminar/thing- anyone have an extra $15,000+ floating around to start making that happen? And you know when we schedule one in NYC, there will be people who are offended that we didn't do it in Dallas, or LA, or Toronto. Venues won't give you space for your event for free, y'all.)

I do really appreciate your support of what Athol does...even when I'm in a pessimistic-about-the-world mood like today and can only see the critics. Usually I'm Pollyanna...no, really!

/rant off

Okay, I really need to be heading to the gym, not running on and on here.

SnoopyAngelineAlphaBelleal2682
  • CelesteCeleste Member Posts: 18
    Wow!  That podcast was my very first intro to the world of "game" so many years ago.  Their basic toolbox (first five or so episodes) are really good for some basic social skills.
    al2682
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    @Jen_Kay - I think everyone here realizes that you can only have so many irons in the fire, especially as a small business, and obviously you and Athol have a much better feel for what would provide the best ROI - moreso than any of us in the peanut gallery.

I'm speaking solely as an outsider who listens to podcasts daily - there is a big gaping hole out there for someone (whether you guys or someone else) to do a proper red pill/manosphere/whatever podcast that focuses on LTRs.  I've actually thought about doing it myself - I've got the equipment/tech savvy and voice for it - just not the material or the necessary credibility :) 
    [Deleted User]
  • Woman38Woman38 UKSilver Member Posts: 55
    @Athol_Kay‌ @Jen_Kay‌

It was a brave decision for both of you to give up your jobs but all the blood, sweat and tears will be worth it in the end I think. At the heart of MMSL are 2 hardworking, genuine people with a great marriage, a desire to help others and the knowledge to do so. You'll get there.
    JellyBeannewredpillrecruitTemplarRico
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    I listened to the podcast on my drive to a super-secret destination to do a super-secret thing. ;)

I enjoyed the podcast a lot. The format of it being a 3-way conversation was engaging. I'd love to hear more.

Enneagram type 9w1
    Woman38Templar