Guilt and Shame

2»

Comments

• GeekengineerGeekengineer Sandy EggoGold Men Posts: 1,720
    @betazoid

In contrast, the story of Christ, the new Adam, is about a man who maintained his frame during the mother of all shit tests.  (Take note men, how did he do it?  He STFU!)  The scriptures say that, "for the joy that was set before him (he) endured the cross, despising the shame..."  He took responsibility and did what needed to be done, not letting external ideas of shame change his course.  This is not the blue pill story you learned in church!

Have you read Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal?  It's a great book.  It's a fictionalized account of jesus's's 30-ish "missing" years, and it came across being pretty red pill.

My family is catholic, and I attended a few lutheran schools from 5th through 8th grades.  My mom ditched the church when I was an infant, and never took me.  She figured if I wanted to attend a church I could make that decision myself.  My time in those lutheran schools cured me of any possible religious feelings.

The shame and the guilt and the hating of oneself were prevalent at these particular schools.  Every Wednesday we would shuffle into the chapel and be inundated with sermons about how bad we were.  Really, they were horrible, screeching lectures.

And for one day, and one day only, my 8th grade teacher taught about sex.  It was 15 minutes of an explanation of the basic, most general workings of "sperm meets egg, which becomes a person 9 months later," followed by 3 hours of why having sex before marriage makes you worthless and horrible and stupid and evil... ugh.

It was a really negative approach to a very important subject.  While attending those schools, I learned that talking about one's feelings without first thinking about how those feelings would make god feel was just not the right thing to do.  It was god first, and you... what's after last?

JellyBean is my wife.
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
    edited March 2014
    Are we going to play True Confessions?  lol

Sometimes I've let my mind go places it shouldn't. Especially during our really bad times. It doesn't particularly worry me, but an area where I still need to improve is self-discipline. 

@Serenity‌ What would you consider "sexual sin"? Obviously EA & PA, but you said you "mess up sexually from time to time." I'm scratching my head over here.

[Deleted User]redheaded_womanbetazoid
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
    edited March 2014
    Just as an aside, I was raised in a secular household. My parents were nominally Christian, but no church, no Bible, no praying, no mention of God. I remember going to church at my grandma's church once or twice on Easter, but that's it.

However, it's not only churches that try to instill guilt about sex. My dad was a maniac about me and my sister having sex with a boyfriend. Constant fears that we would be  'bad girls' and get pregnant. Interrogations after we'd get home from dates. The man was nutz about the topic. (Not so for my brothers, incidentally.)

He did his best to instill guilt in me about being a sexual person.

Um .... it didn't take. lol
    betazoid
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    betazoid said:

In contrast, the story of Christ, the new Adam, is about a man who maintained his frame during the mother of all shit tests.  (Take note men, how did he do it?  He STFU!)  The scriptures say that, "for the joy that was set before him (he) endured the cross, despising the shame..."  He took responsibility and did what needed to be done, not letting external ideas of shame change his course.  This is not the blue pill story you learned in church!

You should check out the book "No More Christian Nice Guy" - it deals with this topic in depth
    betazoid
  • liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    betazoid said:
    Thanks @liquid.  It is hard to put into words, but it does make sense.

Do you think that the bad habits had anything to do with the guilt?

In my own experience I see that many of the bad habits I had developed were reinforced by the constraints that I placed on the relationship in an to attempt to mitigate the guilt.  I wonder, if my relationships had been free to form more organically, would those bad habits have taken root to the extent that they did?

I think that the bad habits were very simple - sex was all about him. His goal became getting me aroused enough for enjpoyable piv. If I needed more...well, I needed to figure that out. He was doing his part.
  • betazoidbetazoid Silver Member Posts: 67
    mrs_h said:
    When we started making out all the time, usually the strongest temptations came right after talking things through, and when we both thought our relationship would not end in marriage.  So, the our physical part of our relationship became a false comfort.  Happily, now that we are married, sex is a true comfort, a sort of confirmation of our vows, after conflict.
    Thanks for your reply.  If I read this correctly, you felt a need to be physical when the relationship was at its weakest points?  Why do you think this was?  I ask because I've felt it in my relationships too.  Is it just an attempt to bond so the relationship stays together?
    Anyway, I'm with @Serenity, in that sex sins shouldn't be seen as particularly worse than other sins.  However, maybe I'm misunderstanding the definition of guilt and shame, which aren't bad in themselves.  I should feel ashamed of being unkind, etc., but not after confession and absolution/forgiveness.
    Is there a time when unkindness is necessary?  The "nice guy" in me says no, but then I don't feel much shame when I hang up on telemarketers.  Being unkind to someone who has shown me kindness is shameful.  But why?  Is is because the church or the Bible told is so?  Or because we know we aren't living up to our own standards?
    "If we are strong, our strength will speak for itself.  If we are weak, words will be of no use."  -JFK
    mrs_h said:
    Did the guilt play any role in your relationship before you married? Not sure what you mean here. We definitely went through the cycle of "trying to do better," which was naive. We couldn't practice self-control w/o outside help and accountability. We were on the same page about what we were not supposed to be doing. Was it a positive force or negative?

Not sure what you mean, here, either. Guilt after legitimate sin is good when it ends in repentance and forgiveness. Guilt is bad when it doesnt end and you ultimately want to keep it (God can't forgive me) and dwell on it and make it your identity. It becomes an idol. We also went through the resolve/fail cycle, but pride kept us from getting outside help. Often (usually) sheer will is futile, because you're fighting both sinful nature and biology (not the same thing, by the way).
    What I was trying to get at was whether or not the guilt made the relationship better or worse.  Did the guilt of your actions drive you and your husband to make changes that made your relationship stronger or weaker?  Did it call into question or reaffirm your decision to marry each other?
    the biggest problem I see with the first relationship you described is she wasn't really as convinced as you were not to have sex. Big red flag there, and probably doomed from the start.
    Interesting.  I generally take the opposite view--that my guilt and shame was the red flag.  It caused me to do numerous things that sabotaged the relationship in the long run.  Attempting to live my life by a moral code that was handed to me by my parents and my church, rather than by my internal convictions, caused me to become conflicted and lose my way.  What woman wants to be with a man who has no direction of his own and is not even confident enough to take her clothes off without feeling ashamed?
    "If we are strong, our strength will speak for itself.  If we are weak, words will be of no use."  -JFK
    Have you read Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal?  It's a great book.  It's a fictionalized account of jesus's's 30-ish "missing" years, and it came across being pretty red pill.
    No, I have not read it.  I assume it's satire.  I'll have to read it.
    The shame and the guilt and the hating of oneself were prevalent at these particular schools.  Every Wednesday we would shuffle into the chapel and be inundated with sermons about how bad we were.  Really, they were horrible, screeching lectures.

And for one day, and one day only, my 8th grade teacher taught about sex.  It was 15 minutes of an explanation of the basic, most general workings of "sperm meets egg, which becomes a person 9 months later," followed by 3 hours of why having sex before marriage makes you worthless and horrible and stupid and evil... ugh.

It was a really negative approach to a very important subject.  While attending those schools, I learned that talking about one's feelings without first thinking about how those feelings would make god feel was just not the right thing to do.  It was god first, and you... what's after last?
    I can relate.  I attended a Baptist high school that also had mandatory weekly chapel services.  And yes, most were horrible.  I don't recall any form of sex ed in our school, but I may just be blocking the memory from my mind in order to maintain my sanity.  However, the implicit message was made clear:  sex outside of marriage is an abomination and those who participate are not "saved" and will go straight to hell after their lives STD infected misery on earth.  I'm pretty sure my parents still think I'm going to hell...
    Rico said:
    You should check out the book "No More Christian Nice Guy" - it deals with this topic in depth
    I just watched a YouTube video from the author.  It sounds right up my alley.  Thanks for the tip.
    liquid said:
    I think that the bad habits were very simple - sex was all about him. His goal became getting me aroused enough for enjpoyable piv. If I needed more...well, I needed to figure that out. He was doing his part.
    But those habits were formed in isolation from the guilt?  Or did the fact that you "couldn't (or didn't) have PIV sex prior to marriage contribute to the formation of those habits?  Basically I'm asking if his habit of selfishness started because the nature of premarital sex was directed more toward him, or if he was just naturally inclined to not worry as much about your satisfaction.

I only ask because I found that (with my high school girlfriend) I became selfish and not really considerate of her feelings or needs.  I think this was partly due to my inexperience, so she led most of the encounters, but also because I couldn't relax in the moment and enjoy her body because of the feelings of guilt I had.  With my wife it was a bit different, I had learned to repress the guilty feelings, so I could relax more, but she couldn't and so the cycle continued and a different set of bad habits have been engrained.  Now I'm the one who wants to enjoy her and explore her sexuality in addition to my own, but she doesn't allow it.
  • liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    BrianC said:

In my experience, it requires a willingness to take a step back from and a deep examination of our beliefs to find a way to address that pain.  For some that retreat may have to be permanent.  For others, it is a chance to turn your faith from a source of pain, to a source of incredible strength.
    Thanks for this.
    BrianC[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    @BrianC‌ thank you for sharing this perspective. May I ask, is the spiritual path you currently follow the one in which you were raised?
    Enneagram type 9w1
  • BrianCBrianC Oshawa, ONGold Men Posts: 3,138
    edited March 2014
    @Liquid My pleasure.

@JellyBean, you may certainly ask.  My parents left the church that they attended very when I was young in protest because it excluded gay men from the clergy and my parents supported gay rights very strongly.  I was encouraged to find my own path after that. I was initiated into my current path at 13 years old.

All men are great men, most fail to see the greatness in themselves.

Power, Passion, Principle and Purpose: The Wild Man Project

My most popular articles: The Art of the Apology (also on video), The Basics of Assertiveness, The Art of Friendship