An ancient technique for slaying the "talking over other people" dragon

SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
I have actually used this with women I was in a relationship with who could not bring themselves to let other people, including me, finish their sentences.

The native peoples of North America, of many different tribes in many different regions, developed the tradition of the "Talking Stick"

During meetings the chief or spiritual leader would declare Talking Stick rules, and then only the person holding the stick would be allowed to speak.  Once they had said what they planned on saying they would hand the stick to the next person designated to speak, or who was indicating a desire to say something.  Rules were designed for the type of meeting that was occurring.

There's some good info on the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_stick

Just want to say that I've had amazing results when a partner was willing to use a talking stick with me.

Comments

• SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    edited March 2014
    Chief_TC said:
    I keep my talking stick in my pants, my wife is only allowed to talk to me while holding it.
    I would love to see you two in a restaurant when it's time for her to tell you what she'd like to order.

Woo hoo! That would be hot. \:D/  I may have to institute this rule myself.
  • BrianCBrianC Oshawa, ONGold Men Posts: 3,138
    I have integrated the "talking stick" long with other rules of pow-wow and a little modern psychology and mediation techniques into a tool I teach couples called the Sacred Space Rules of Communication. It really does work - but for an arguing married couple, I really recommend whatever you use for a talking stick be soft enough that if they lose their temper, no permanent injury results form the talking stick being used for melee.

All men are great men, most fail to see the greatness in themselves.

Power, Passion, Principle and Purpose: The Wild Man Project

My most popular articles: The Art of the Apology (also on video), The Basics of Assertiveness, The Art of Friendship

[Deleted User]JoannaSmashmaster
  • SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    @BrianC said:
     for an arguing married couple, I really recommend whatever you use for a talking stick be soft enough that if they lose their temper, no permanent injury results form the talking stick being used for melee.
    LOL- somebody needs to make a Nerf Talking Stick

Never had any of my ladies attack me with the talking stick yet, though
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net