No More Christian Nice Girl

Natalie_LorinNatalie_Lorin Southern USSilver Member Posts: 979
edited April 2014 in Faith and Spirituality
I picked up this book on a whim and it occurred to me that it might be fun if a few of the FO's here would like to read through it together and do a bit of a book club thread on it. It's two dollars on Amazon for the kindle version: http://www.amazon.com/More-Christian-Nice-Girl-Nice--Instead-ebook/dp/B0055PLW4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1396961365&sr=1-1

I've read up through the second chapter, and it looks pretty good. Everything they're saying about frustration and guilt rings fairly true for me, but I specifically was hoping to discuss it with some of the FO's though because they also include a hefty dose of blue pill things like "pretty shaming." It's true that some women have this crazy unrealistic idea of beauty, but my experiences as a Nice Girl is that most nice girls don't actually know how to dress very well or be sexually attractive. Like I said, I'm only in the second chapter, but I was thinking that we might could have an interesting discussion on what it means to break the nice girl role without pretending that female alpha isn't also about looks and status and all those evil, evil things that only lead to eating disorders and heartbreak ;)

@Liquid @Simplegirl @Serenity @Alphabelle @Katt @WhoeverelseImaybemissing - anyone in?
[Deleted User]Angeline

Comments

• MovingForwardMovingForward Member Posts: 181
    Is it ok for non-Christians to join in? I've got the religious nice girl syndrome too:)
    [Deleted User]Natalie_Lorin
  • RapunzelRapunzel Very High TowerSilver Member Posts: 1,503
    I will! I just put it on my Kindle. :) I know trying to be the perfect Christian woman/wife caused me a lot of problems and I've pretty much given that up. ;)

When the going gets tough apply lipstick.

The universe doesn't give you what you ask for with your thoughts; it gives you what you demand with your actions. ~ Steve Maraboli

MovingForwardMariaScarlet
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    I'm in, too.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
  • MrsJonMrsJon ColoradoSilver Member Posts: 466
    Me too!

I went looking for my dreams outside of myself and discovered, it's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it.  
           Anne Shirley - Anne of Avonlea

• KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    I'm in if I can get my kindle app to work right. Grrrr...
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    Thread on the open forum or PMs?
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
  • RapunzelRapunzel Very High TowerSilver Member Posts: 1,503
    I think PM too but I'll do either as well. 

When the going gets tough apply lipstick.

The universe doesn't give you what you ask for with your thoughts; it gives you what you demand with your actions. ~ Steve Maraboli

• MrsJonMrsJon ColoradoSilver Member Posts: 466

Tech dummy here - how would it work, not doing it on the forum?

The discussions on the book study may be useful to women not participating, and to new posters or lurkers. So it might be better to keep it on the forum. Provided, of course this is not a problem with Athol. Maybe we should check with him or a moderator first? What does everyone think?

I went looking for my dreams outside of myself and discovered, it's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it.  
           Anne Shirley - Anne of Avonlea

MovingForwardSerenity
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    edited April 2014
    mrs_h said:
    So what's the difference between Christian nice girl and regular nice girl? NOT a loaded, agenda-y question. I'm asking in sincerity. I might be interested.
    I haven't read this "nice girl" book, but the main thrust of "No More Christian Nice Guy" was that the popular portrayal of Jesus as a gentle, effeminate man who never spoke a cross word and passively accepted whatever/whomever he came across did not align with Scripture; and that Christian men who strove to be unoffensive and "nice," were missing the mark by a wide margin.

I assume that this book deals with similar Biblical misconceptions, but with the emphasis on women rather than men.
    MovingForward[Deleted User]
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046

I think it would best suited in the "Faith and Spirituality" category.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

• growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    I might join in. I'd have to figure out how to acquire the ebook since I don't have any e-reader and am technologically impaired.
    iphone, lol. everyone assumes everyone has one.
    Roses
    There are no apps available for my phone. none at all. and the screen isn't big enough to read on anyway. :) I'll see what I can do. 
    The PC kindle app works fine
    AlphaBelle[Deleted User]
  • RosesRoses USASilver Member Posts: 720
    I use the pc kindle app.  It's a pain when Amazon decides you just have to have an update, but it works okay.  (You wanted to read for five minutes?  Too bad, you must update for five minutes, you may not read!)

I'm thinking about it . . . I'm not sure I want to spend the money right now.  (See, I buy amazon gift cards to buy stuff on amazon, because I don't do credit/debit cards and I have $5 left, and I'm hoping Purple publishes a cookbook soonish and I don't want to buy another $100 amazon gift card . . . it takes me like a year to use one entirely because I'm cheap.  Okay, paranoid about money.)
  • Natalie_LorinNatalie_Lorin Southern USSilver Member Posts: 979
    I didn't intend this to be solely a Christian thread, but Rico has it about right. So far this mostly seems like your average nice girl stuff with an extra layer of "But why isn't God blessing me for never confronting anyone ever?"

If the consensus is that PMs would be preferred we can do that, but I was originally thinking that having something like this on the forum might be a help to the general public as it were.

Glad so many people want to participate! Maybe get started for real next Monday? That would give people time to track down a copy and start reading.There are end of chapter discussion questions we can use and of course just general commentary on the material itself.
  • AntiGravityPressAntiGravityPress USASilver Member Posts: 208
    I would love to hear how this goes.  I've dated dozens of Christian women and to me, its a dead deal.  They all marry beta boys or stay single forever.  I know two women who finally red pill'ed up and got married to some alpha dudes.  They have to leave the whole no sex thing behind and both stepped way out of the Church circle once they did.
    Timitz
    edited April 2014
    @AntiGravityPress‌ I fail to see the correlation between being a Christian and marrying beta. My husband of 13 years is, if anything, erring slightly heavy on the alpha side of the spectrum.
    [Deleted User]TPoke
  • AntiGravityPressAntiGravityPress USASilver Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2014
    @Katt I've dated over 50 Christian women and have had too many friend zones, no sex until marriage, drama, cheating, generally wierdness.  etc.  I would love to hang out with someone like you are your husband.  In my church (well former church as of 5 months ago), the girls are really weird around guys and no one dates.  We are 30.  I think its pathetic.  I wish I could find a MAPing woman in my small town who's a Christian and realistic about sex.
    edited April 2014
    @AntiGravityPress‌ We are (imperfectly) Catholic, but my husband was not practicing when we met, the religion was just part of his ethnic culture, so it isn't as if we met at church or were a part of an insulated church group.