Question about telling the spouse of affair partner about the affair

SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
This is a philosophical question that was started by something @Unplugged said.

I decided to start a new thread here for it, because it seemed it might introduce a mess of off-topic comments in his thread on "Wife ambivalent about monogamy"
She asked me not to retaliate against him. He's married with two children. I told her that wasn't my intention.
Here's the question:

One could frame this as either:
  1. Telling other guy's wife= caring for the innocent partner / retaliation against the guy
  2. Not telling other guy's wife= caring for the guy / harming the innocent wife

For example, ask yourself how you would feel if someone who knew about the affair hid it from you so you went on with no warning and got an STD.

So is it unethical to not tell the spouse of the other man / other woman about the affair?

Some people seem to think it's ethical to keep quiet.

A second related question, in the spirit of the Golden Rule is, how would you feel if you found out that the spouse of the affair partner caught them, but withheld the information from you?

Comments

• TimitzTimitz Silver Member Posts: 820
    edited April 2014
    Welcome to the Fleet. ;)

To answer the second question, I would want to know.

To answer the first one, if I was cheated on I would tell their spouse too.

If it was someone else I knew, it would be a lot tougher of a decision to make. Ultimately, I think the right thing to do is still to tell the spouse, but I think it would be a really tough decision. At a minimum you would need to tell your friend it was wrong and to stop.
    "You must be like water which always seeks the easiest and best path around obstacles." Sun Tzu
    CrashaxetexascfguyMrDave
  • TemplarTemplar WashingtonSilver Member Posts: 3,371
    No doubt for me (as sure as I can be, not having gone through it) - I would tell the spouse of the cheater. Both sides of the affair need to end.
    Tennee[Deleted User]PhoenixDown
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited April 2014
    Edited - I edited my comments as I decided that Mr. Hyde got to the surface and wrote them instead of me - sometimes he gets loose before I can get his chains back on...  

Yes, I would want to know.  Yes, I would blow it up.   No, I would not let any threats, real or perceived, of upsetting anther's domestic bliss get in my way.   Part of me - I can admit this component of my sterling personality - would absolutely be doing this out of vengeance.  The rest would be because simply its the correct thing to do - to start to get past a horrible situation.  And personally, I could not live with myself if I did not get it out. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    [Deleted User]
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    @simplegirl‌ I'm starting to understand your threads. :-)
    [Deleted User]Joskin_Nodd
  • mrjoshua7mrjoshua7 somewhere less familiarSilver Member Posts: 141
    I didn't tell and it started back up - but I didn't know the whole truth. If I had blown it up, they would have definitely run away together.
    Looking back, that might have been for the best.
    Oh - and I would definitely want to know.
    [Deleted User]Joskin_Nodd
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    mrjoshua7 said:

I didn't tell and it started back up - but I didn't know the whole truth. If I had blown it up, they would have definitely run away together.
    Looking back, that might have been for the best.
    Oh - and I would definitely want to know.

I didn't know this part of the story. Very typical though. I had a complicated scenario. She had an EA going prior to the real affair. It wasn't 'romantic' but way over the line flirting and secret.
    I killed the primary affair dead. But I didn't blow up the EA guys marriage. I should have. He contacted her again about a year later. I didn't make the same mistake twice.

You think they would have run off together? Why didn't that happen after you found out the second time? When did all this happen? After we talked the first time?
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    Tennee said:
    Edited - I edited my comments as I decided that Mr. Hyde got to the surface and wrote them instead of me - sometimes he gets loose before I can get his chains back on...  

Oh, you get that too?
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    Tennee
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    @Reborn‌ yeah, he didn't break too much this time. But my original post was much more anger fueled. Agree totally with all the positive, self protection, 'good' reasons above. But am I the only one (admitting thus far at least) who'd take solace in the "take that MFer" aspect of it? Really?
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    KarfrillyfunCartB4HorseCaptain_Hammer
  • Joskin_NoddJoskin_Nodd AshwanSilver Member Posts: 4,045
    @SMan: "So is it unethical to not tell the spouse of the other man / other woman about the affair?"

This is even a question? Is it unethical if you find out a coworker has been embezzling from the company to tell somebody? Is it unethical if you see a mugger snatch an old lady's purse to chase him down or notify the police? I don't see the dilemma. I understand why everybody involved would want the minimum of damage to be done by the bad decisions they made and they are now regretting, but it's not ethical to keep the wronged spouse in the dark. 
    "Some people seem to think it's ethical to keep quiet."

Other than the affair partners, who? 

"A second related question, in the spirit of the Golden Rule is, how would you feel if you found out that the spouse of the affair partner caught them, but withheld the information from you?"

I would hate that motherfucker with every fiber of my being for all eternity, and my ghost would haunt him/her before it would haunt my cheating spouse. 

"There are no right biscuits." – Mandrill

TenneeChanged_ManBookGeek
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045

If we are talking about an acquaintance, I would tell if it was an ongoing affair.  If it was something in the past and had definitely ended, I would keep my mouth shut.  

If we are talking about my wife having an affair, yes I would tell the OM man's wife, parents, children, co-workers, church friends, customers.   It's hard to know exactly what one would do in that situation, but I would want to kill people, and since that wouldn't be productive, totally ruining every aspect of the OM's life would become my mission, and even his children would be on the table.  

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

PhoenixDownCartB4Horse