The hair thread

Comments

• growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    @Maria from the front my hair's about the same shape (maybe a tiny bit shorter) as your first pic. But from the back not so much, because it would be too much to ask it to be the same texture throughout. so I get icky flatness with a tiny bit of wave in back. Naturally a medium to darkish brown but currently dyed red. 
  • mrsozzymrsozzy texasGold Women Posts: 1,950

@mrsozzy‌ I have fine hair even though I had amazing thick hair when I was younger - down to my butt long. I love John Frieda shampoos. I also love Bog sexy hair but can't find it in the UK :(

If you have dark hair, dry shampoo makes it look grey...

I color my hair light brownish red (naturally very dark blonde), and as long as I brush dry shampoo through thoroughly, I don't get the grey look. There are also colored dry shampoos for brunettes and blondes. However, for me they didn't seem that different, and the brunette stuff is messy-gets under your nails, in your ears, etc. It was annoying, so I went back to the original.

I've not had any luck with even the dark hair ones. All looks grey :(

Oribe makes a "dry texturizing spray" that is similar to dry shampoo, except it's allegedly clear. It didn't work that great for me, but it's worth a try. Pricey though, about $30 a can if I recall correctly. If you weren't in the UK I'd send you the rest of mine!

• MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    @Ms_Fit said:
    @Maria  - your hair has grown, it looks longer to me!  Have you ever had it straightened at the salon just too see how long it really is?
    I am afraid to do so - because I don't think straight hair suits me. I've got such a small, narrow face and long neck and need all the volume I can get.
    But if I stretch out the longest layer with my fingers it's a bit below bra strap length.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    Purple
  • JLBJLB Silver Member Posts: 481
    edited April 2014
    @MILF_in_training, I agree with Lost. A rich chestnut brown colour would be beautiful and I'd also add a few caramel highlights. It looks quite heavy so I'd also have a layered style with good bit of length removed. Says the woman with the most boring hair in the world.

Whoops, I see you want to keep your length so please disregard my unhelpful advice.

"Spotted dick is a pudding" - Mandrill.

[Deleted User]Angeline
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    I love superlong hair, and anyone who can pull it off should. Unfortunately with my half-assed curly I can't myself, the length weighs it down too much and then the whole thing is frizzy but flat, instead of just the back :P
    [Deleted User]
    Jane Seymour's hair. Ugh, how does she do it? I want to know and I want to know now. Living proof that mature women can wear their hair long and look fabulous. I do hate her just a bit.

[Deleted User]PurpleHamster_Free
  • RapunzelRapunzel Very High TowerSilver Member Posts: 1,503
    @MILF_in_training‌ Though I can only see the back I agree that long layers and fringe around the face would go a long way in sprucing up your look. You could put up your hair and have those sexy wisps of hair around your face. ;)

When the going gets tough apply lipstick.

The universe doesn't give you what you ask for with your thoughts; it gives you what you demand with your actions. ~ Steve Maraboli

[Deleted User]MariaPersephone
    I hate her with a passion now.

[Deleted User]PurpleHamster_Free
  • thisisjenthisisjen Silver Member Posts: 1,164
    Try going with an ash tone or cool as opposed to golden or warm, that will get rid of the brassy-ness. As for me my hair grows way too fast. If you knew how often I color, it you'd faint !! The problem is not letting it get too long for my age.

AlphaBelle
  • _io_io Silver Member Posts: 1,821
    edited April 2014
  • Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    @growingafamily‌, that's what my hair is like, too!  It's wavy when I want it straight and it's flat when I want it wavy! What I wouldn't give to be either one or the other, like @JLB or @Maria! :)

(Just learned from my suddenly hair-conscious 12 yo DS, of all people, that wavy hair has oval-shaped follicles, vs. round ones for straight hair.  He got it out of the science encyclopedia.)

I used to wear mine kinda long (halfway down my back) and put it up/braid it when I met DH.  Unfortunately, I also have a high forehead, so bangs/layers around my face are imperative, but after years of those i'm beginning to worry about thinning around the top of the bangs.  I'm growing it out now from a mommy cut, hope to be shoulder-length by summer, but am afraid it will go flat again on top and puffy at the bottom - like a cut-off cone shape, if that makes sense.  Plus I have zero time to fuss with it on workday mornings.

Any good hair vitamins out there?  Or are those just a fad and don't work?
    Biosil is a good supplement for hair, skin and nails. I've noticed new growth within a month or two.
    Purple[Deleted User]
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    @Tiger_Lily,
    I'm taking Biotino Complete, which is the best hair supplement currently available in Austria according to various pharmacists I've asked. Don't know about other countries.
    It contains L cystein, Vitamin, Silicium, zinc, Vitamin B5, Biotin, copper, Vitamin B1, 2 and 6 and folic acid.

I also have a high forehead and used to wear real bangs up to my mid 20ies, but I never was quite happy with them.
    Then I changed to side-swept cheek-bone length bangs that frame my face loosely. Looks much better.

I also know the horrible triangle look; it's especially common with curly hair and a blunt cut.
    For me the solution is longish layers. Just make sure that none of them is more than an inch and a half shorter than the overall length of that section.
    (Last time the hair dresser cut the layers a bit too short and gave me a very 80ies look, lol).

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.