Shameless Bench Press Brag

MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898

Last night, I benched 175. I weigh about 173. So I benched more than I weigh!

Getting stronger....

TemplarExcelsior[Deleted User][Deleted User]Mr_BrownJoannaSerenityBlackwulfRicoJesusMarimbaBetaGeekWinterhoping4betterRebuildingHusbandKattfrillyfun[Deleted User]Tiberiusgeorge[Deleted User]AngelineTennee[Deleted User]CowboyCrashaxeAlphaBellecddddFormerNiceGuyPurpleHipster_HickRapunzelPaleoDadZoroastershibariAchillesJimDawgVerethragnacpbSignorePillolaRossa

Comments

• MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898

I'll get there, @TheWolf‌. I'll get there. 

Angeline
  • SisyphusSisyphus Silver Member Posts: 1,094

Nice work!  Was it for reps or 1RM?  Congrats!

MiddleMan
  • fordsvtfordsvt Canada Eh!Silver Member Posts: 2,300

Nice job. It's a big step. Keep lifting hard

Into Phase 3..

Those Who Dare......Win.   "What gives you fear today...Gives you Strength tomorrow.."

MiddleMan
  • SisyphusSisyphus Silver Member Posts: 1,094
    MiddleMan said:
    brianA said:

It was for reps. I'm loosely doing a Stronglifts 5x5, although I'm not squatting due to a knee issue. I did 25 total reps at 175, taking 6 sets to do it (5, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4). When I can do 5 sets of 5 at one weight, I increase the weight by 5 lbs the next time. 

Look up how to do a 1RM and see what you come in at...it will be well above 175# if you're already doing at least one set for 175#.  That said, I'm like you - I base my numbers on being able to do sets.

MiddleManMonkeys_Uncle
  • MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898

That's pretty awesome! I don't want to take credit for theoretical 1RM numbers, though. I work out alone, so I don't have a spotter and I don't want to risk injury by trying a 1RM all alone.

In my mind, I want to keep building usable strength (and the size that comes with it). If I can only lift a certain weight once, I don't feel like it's "real." This is not to disparage anyone's 1RM numbers; I just don't think that way myself. 

[Deleted User]Sisyphus
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953

Awesome accomplishment!  Keep it up!

give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    MiddleMan[Deleted User]
  • ddadddad Silver Member Posts: 791

Fantastic.  I am working a similar program and have slowed at 150 vs body weight of ~185.  This is good incentive.

MiddleMan
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284

Nice... I've managed to 1RM more than my body weight, but body weight for reps still eludes me.

• The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    edited May 2014

Damn. That's good.  I've been working out for a while and I'm nowhere near my weight (185).   But I'm old so I give myself a break :-).  

Actually I was using the machines for a long time.  Didn't know what the numbers would related to on the free weights. Last weekend I switched over and was depressed to find out the numbers were pretty close.  125 x 10. 

It's funny, I look completely different than when I started but I haven't progressed on the actual weight all that much.  I probably need to pay attention to how I'm doing this.  I just go and do 3x10 of whatever the most weight  I can do 10 of. Rotate through 6 or 7 areas almost at random.  Probably not a mystery why I'm not progressing so much.   I feel great and look much better which is really the main thing for me. But I'd like to get back closer to benching my weight.  When I was in the army I could bench 225.  I used to pick up 300lb aircraft jacks and walk out to the flight line.  But I was 23.  Never going to see that again. 

Angeline
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045

Also, way to go man!  That is awesome.

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

• DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589

Congrats. Awesome job. Keep going.

Im in the 170-175lbs range, and I was stuck on the 170lbs bench press for a year.

100% BP is not bad, but my goal was 4 45's on each side (225lbs). Not sure, how I did it, but I pushed through and got to my goal last week at 173lbs Body weight.

My next goal is a 10min plank.

Find someone who can push you. Every extra rep counts.

"How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
    SisyphusRico
  • CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
    Awesome!  Us "smaller frame" guys are happy to get to this level...

m_307859_hEdJK1zxZ92B.jpg
    194 x 260 - 11K
    "Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
    MiddleManmaxx138
  • sting129sting129 Silver Member Posts: 488
    Maverick said:
    MiddleMan said:

I work out alone, so I don't have a spotter and I don't want to risk injury by trying a 1RM all alone.

Do you press in a power rack?  If so you can use the safety bars and go nuts.

haha, and the rest of the gym will love you for benching in the squat rack

MiddleManThe_D_Word
  • Batman64Batman64 USASilver Member Posts: 41

Nice work on the PR

• FormerNiceGuyFormerNiceGuy Silver Member Posts: 133

I'm doing SL 5x5, too.  Wednesday, I benched 85, so Monday is 90.  I weigh 175, so it's good to hear that it's possible.  

BTW, I built a squat rack that I use (and that I'll turn into a power rack next time I get a little spare $$). (Basically, this is what it will look like when I add the two front 4x4s and turn it into an actual power rack)

My problem is that my weight set is the 1" variety.  My PR for deadlift yesterday was 170 and I'm approaching the capacity of my bar.  Good problem to have, I guess, but I'll need to either get some 25# plates to stretch it or sell what I have and go for a real olympic set.

Anyone else have this problem or do most just pay for a gym membership and call it good?

• ruckusruckus Silver Member Posts: 331
    edited May 2014
    MiddleMan said:
    brianA said:

It was for reps. I'm loosely doing a Stronglifts 5x5, although I'm not squatting due to a knee issue. I did 25 total reps at 175, taking 6 sets to do it (5, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4). When I can do 5 sets of 5 at one weight, I increase the weight by 5 lbs the next time. 

I might have to look into doing that 5x5.  Right now on days I bench I warm up with a set of 50lb dumbell press.  Then I move on to

1x8 135lb

1x8 155lb

1x?? 175lb

1x?? 175

1x?? 155lb

I usually can only do about 5-6 reps each of the last 3 sets.  Getting better each time, but I want to get to where I could do 8 all the way up and down.  I then move on to other chest/shoulder/tri workouts for the rest of my time.

EDIT:

Forgot to say, congrats.  Feels awesome to be able to bench your weight, doesn't it?

MiddleMan
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953

I pay for a gym membership. Got my little bro as a personal trainer/workout partner. Was stoked yesterday. 5 weeks ago I maxed on hang cleans at 225. Did 2 reps at 225 for my 5th set. Felt amazing!

give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]sting129