Shameless Bench Press Brag

Comments

• SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    Thanks ... yeah we only have 2.5# plates ... good idea to buy some 1# or 0.5# plates to bring along

Any thoughts on my technique questions?
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 471
    edited April 20
    @SignorePillolaRossa ;
    the most efficient way to bench heavy is powerlifting style.  Get a good back arch such that you upper back and butt are on the bench.  Arms tucked, back tight, spread the bar with hands.  Bring the bar down just below you nipples.  Elite power lifters actually kind of bridge the bar, pushing up but also pulling the bar back over their shoulders before completing the top half of the lift and locking out.  The bar follows a "j" pattern, not a straight line.

this is not the best way to build the chest.  It's actually a little cheesy IMO.  The whole technique is designed to reduce the range of motion.  All other things equal, the movements with the greatest range of motion stimulate the muscle better (with exceptions)
    TenneeSignorePillolaRossa
  • MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
    I've been getting my progress by benching the heaviest weight I can do 10 reps of. I'll stay at that weight until I can do 2-3 sets of ten reps. Then I'll increase it 5 pounds the next time. 
    SignorePillolaRossaTennee
  • BlackwulfBlackwulf Leading the pack. Silver Member Posts: 1,782
    I want both size and strength, that is why I do 5/3/1.  I focus on increasing my main lifts weight monthly.  Then I do 5 sets of 10 plus one or two more accessories to get my volume and build my muscle.   

I am about ready to move though to maintenance of my strength and muscle as I need to really get serious about my weight and diet again after 4 months of intense work. 
    SignorePillolaRossamaverick
  • MjolnirMjolnir USASilver Member Posts: 150
    @SignorePillolaRossa
    As far as bench press technique goes, I would like to echo everything that @Rorschach said, but with one little caveat. I prefer to have my final elbow position roughly 75 degrees or so (instead of the typical bodybuilder 90), as this tends to alleviate shoulder impingement injuries. If you are plateauing, you can also deload and change your cadence. For instance, drop 10 pounds, but rock a 5/0 rep (5 seconds down and explode up) while really focusing on complete control of the weight all the way to your chest. 

On a related tangent, make sure you are performing your other lifts with proper form. It is unusual to see someone squat 200+ and row 140+ while struggling with a 120 bench press, as the row typically plateaus much faster than the bench press. I would hate for you to be making progress and get derailed by injury for something that could potentially be corrected now, while the weights are relatively light. 
    Endeavor to be what you desire to appear.
    IrishGypsy
  • ffp20ffp20 upstate nySilver Member Posts: 224
    I put the bar at the base of my palms with fingers and thumb around on same side of bar
  • MjolnirMjolnir USASilver Member Posts: 150
    ffp20 said:
    I put the bar at the base of my palms with fingers and thumb around on same side of bar
    I have only seen bad things come from a grip like this, and I will never understand why this hand position persists.
    Endeavor to be what you desire to appear.
    TenneeMiddleManRorschachcdddd
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited April 21
    I thought I'd post a couple of expert vids regarding Bench Press that would be helpful

Actually, its been kinda Heavy round here lately, so I thought a solid laugh was in order...

But if you can get past the obvious silliness, the Brofessor vids do contain some wisdom...

Whaddup Boosh

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    RorschachBlueWolfBlackwulfmaverick
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 471
    Mjolnir said:
    ffp20 said:
    I have only seen bad things come from a grip like this, and I will never understand why this hand position persists.
    It's easier on your shoulders 
  • BlackwulfBlackwulf Leading the pack. Silver Member Posts: 1,782
    edited April 22
    Yeah but its called suicide grip for a reason. I would never use it without a spotter. 
    TenneeRorschach
  • ffp20ffp20 upstate nySilver Member Posts: 224
    Well....whats wrong with it?  Thats how i was trained. If theres something better im all ears.
  • cddddcdddd ChicagoSilver Member Posts: 225
    edited April 23
    @SignorePillolaRossa my coach is powerlifter who can bench 440 and has ginormous (especially now that he's lost weight) pecs. There isn't a secret way powerlifters are moving heavy weight without building muscle except for some fat bellied guys and those ladies who can practically arch up to the bar. For what it's worth I asked him once about tucking my shoulders or where my elbows should track and he asked me what on earth I was talking about. 

If you arch your back (assuming you're not flexible like a cat), plant your feet firm on the floor, and grab the bar hard like you're angry at it, you'll be able to push heavier weights. The bar should touch your lower sternum at the bottom and end up slightly under your eyes / right over your shoulders at the top. And don't look at the bar. Look straight up, and just see the bar a few inches below your center of vision, locked out. Again, don't look at the bar, it'll make the bar path wonky.

But really if you're not feeling pain in any joints, don't worry about elbow flaring and all that yet. Probably the solution is just time spent benching. Even what program you use probably doesn't matter too much as long as it's 5+ reps for sets in the 70-99% range of your max, and completing your sets and getting the work in.

SignorePillolaRossa

Blackwulf said:
    Yeah but its called suicide grip for a reason. I would never use it without a spotter. 
    You guys see the video of that Russian guy who died after dropping the bar on his chest despite three spotters? If your wrists turn and the bar goes, if it's heavy enough no one is really fast enough to catch it. 
    MiddleManAngelineTennee
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    Blackwulf said:
    If you look into it, you'll also see that it's sub-optimal for nerve activation.
    BlackwulfcddddTennee
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    cdddd said:
    @SignorePillolaRossa my coach is powerlifter who can bench 440 and has ginormous (especially now that he's lost weight) pecs. There isn't a secret way powerlifters are moving heavy weight without building muscle except for some fat bellied guys and those ladies who can practically arch up to the bar. For what it's worth I asked him once about tucking my shoulders or where my elbows should track and he asked me what on earth I was talking about. 

If you arch your back (assuming you're not flexible like a cat), plant your feet firm on the floor, and grab the bar hard like you're angry at it, you'll be able to push heavier weights. The bar should touch your lower sternum at the bottom and end up slightly under your eyes / right over your shoulders at the top. And don't look at the bar. Look straight up, and just see the bar a few inches below your center of vision, locked out. Again, don't look at the bar, it'll make the bar path wonky.

But really if you're not feeling pain in any joints, don't worry about elbow flaring and all that yet. Probably the solution is just time spent benching. Even what program you use probably doesn't matter too much as long as it's 5+ reps for sets in the 70-99% range of your max, and completing your sets and getting the work in.

About 99 percent of the bodybuilding world would disagree with this. 
    SignorePillolaRossa
    edited April 23
    Rorschach said:
    About 99 percent of the bodybuilding world would disagree with this. 
    Sure, but the bodybuilding world likes things complicated and we're talking about a guy struggling to just get to one plate. He probably just needs to keep benching. I've had spotter kids yell at me about my elbows (flaring, not flaring, how many degrees), exhale while pushing, activate this or that, etc, and it's too much to think about under the bar for a newbie. The only big tip that seems helpful to move more weight earlier is to arch your back (or lift your chest as you said - probably the same effect in an inflexible newbie) and push all the way from the floor if you can, without lifting your butt. Pressing 150 as a 'whole body' effort is going to do more good (for his fitness and his pecs) than struggling to make 120 an isolation exercise. At least I figure for him at this point.

In the end he probably just needs to keep plugging away and eating right.

Also judging from the accountability thread he may find the best thing is to use a spotter, it's amazing how much lighter the weight gets then (and I don't mean when they grab it, lol)