Probably was His Own Greatest Enemy

Comments

• cddddcdddd ChicagoSilver Member Posts: 225
    edited May 2014

I think you can certainly find things to blame, and I'm not completely convinced this guy had a true organic brain disease. He sounds more like he had a thought disorder where a lifetime of being raised like a spoiled brat coupled with dysfunctional thinking and experiences coupled with maybe being on the Spectrum led to a break with reality. 

I'm no shrink, of course, but I think blaming this entirely on something being wrong with his brain that he couldn't help is just exculpating him while simultaneously promoting the sensational aspect of it. People like him would love for normal people to know they're mentally deranged, and for us all to be disturbed or shocked or sympathetic to their special snowflakeness. It's feeding into the narcissism.

My gut is still saying the guy was maybe an Asperger who was raised a narcissist, and regardless of what manosphere sites he was reading he took bluepill resentment thinking to the extreme. 

I guess I could be wrong about how much his thinking jived with the manosphere. This is the only part of the manosphere I ever read. 

• Joskin_NoddJoskin_Nodd AshwanSilver Member Posts: 4,045

@Britguy68:"And predictably the MSM media does an 'expose' on the Manosphere, even Ian Ironwood's site gets a mention....."

I always knew those men couldn't be trusted! From the opinion piece: 

"That said, Rodger’s misogynistic rhetoric seems undeniably influenced by the manosphere"

It was also undeniably influenced by the dictionary. I love statements like this, because they are completely irrelevant. If an ecoterrorist burns down a hummer dealership, you could argue his rhetoric and actions were shaped by "environmentalism" but it might also have been shaped by, say, a history of pyromania. Which would be the more logical place to look.

Cherry-picking affiliations and elements a person is exposed to out of millions in their life and talking about how their behavior or rhetoric was shaped by one of hundreds is just (irony!) a rhetorical trick. Not a substantive datum.  

"and his manifesto has kicked off a loud debate about how modern society treats women"

Better than ever in history? And better in the Western world than many places on earth right now?

"If there was ever a time to take a closer look at online misogyny"

Said someone who was just dismissive of the term "misandry". Hmm. 

"“A lot of loneyy beta males will identify with him,” Roosh followed up. (Notice that he calls Rodger a beta, despite Rodger’s videotaped insistence that he was “an alpha male.”)"

Dude was not alpha or beta, he was crazy. This does not seem like a stretch to me. 

The first manosphere defense comment asserted that the guy needed a mentor and a guide. No, he needed mental help and medication, possibly an antipsychotic. Lord. 

"There are no right biscuits." – Mandrill

Scarlet
  • cddddcdddd ChicagoSilver Member Posts: 225

I mean you can blame guns or misogyny or crazy people but other countries have those in spades. Why does this kind of thing keep happening here? 

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's due to, first, at least two generations of white males being raised without good examples of manhood/fatherhood, and second...the media. 

Obviously modifying the constitution is on the table if we want to lock up guns or insane people, so why not muzzle the journalists? Mass shootings wouldn't be so exciting if the American media wasn't so good at promoting them.

• Joskin_NoddJoskin_Nodd AshwanSilver Member Posts: 4,045

It happens elsewhere (the frickin' Netherlands). We get a little more than our share because of easier access to weapons and a large population. After that, it's the culture. A culture of coddling and media sensationalization. The DC sniper were not white males, and neither was the Fort Bragg shooter. But there are a lot of vectors. Muzzling people whose point of view we don't like is not the answer. Virginia Tech shooter was also not a white male. 

All men, though. Even in the Netherlands. 

"There are no right biscuits." – Mandrill

ScarletChanged_Man
  • _io_io Silver Member Posts: 1,821
    edited May 2014
    cdddd said:

I mean you can blame guns or misogyny or crazy people but other countries have those in spades. Why does this kind of thing keep happening here? 

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's due to, first, at least two generations of white males being raised without good examples of manhood/fatherhood, and second...the media. 

Obviously modifying the constitution is on the table if we want to lock up guns or insane people, so why not muzzle the journalists? Mass shootings wouldn't be so exciting if the American media wasn't so good at promoting them.

This guy wasn't a white male, or at least he was as much an Indonesian male as much as a white male.  His mother was Malaysian.

• maprunnr65355maprunnr65355 FloridaSilver Member Posts: 760
    I'd just like to note on wrt to the gun thing, that most of the people weren't killed guns.... his roommates were killed by a knife and some of the victims were hit with his car.
  • BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651

Something that gets almost suspiciously overlooked in a lot of the media coverage is the racial aspect of his particular brand of crazy.  He was a half-Asian half-Caucasian who hated himself / considered himself inferior for not being "truly white" while resenting those with no Caucasian ancestry who dated Caucasian women who he felt they had even less "right" to than he did by virtue of his partially Caucasian ancestry.

That's harder to work into the narrative the media wants to tell than the misogyny angle, though, so it gets ignored.

---

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    SignorePillolaRossa_ioAngeline
  • Changed_ManChanged_Man ChicagolandSilver Member Posts: 1,965
    edited June 2014

Interesting blog post from a young comic on this tragedy. He's still quite 'plugged in' but it's pretty clear that he intuitively gets it.

Whole bunch of wisdom for fellow young guys on being your 'best version' and not falling into the 'nice guy' trap.

http://thechrisgethardshow.tumblr.com/post/87041806996/overcome-your-programming-and-be-a-better-man

Personally, I don't care who the messenger is or how it's framed to be more palatable... truth is truth.

When push comes to shove, you taste what you're made of. You might bend til you break, cause it's all you can take. On your knees you look up, decide you've had enough. You get mad, you get strong, wipe your hands, shake it off... And you stand!

"Stand" by Rascal Flatts

KheldarAngeline
  • KheldarKheldar IndianaSilver Member Posts: 1,565
    I particularly liked this: "If you feel like a round peg and the world feels like a square hole, shooting at the square hole with a gun does nothing."

Also, the discussion about how everyone has their own shit to deal with was good. Recognizing that and not whining about who has it worse is a positive thing.

Changed_ManAngelineJoskin_Nodd
  • CrashaxeCrashaxe Partytown, which is wherever I am.Gold Men Posts: 1,243
    edited June 2014

And as always, let's be sure to give him lots of attention in the press so we can be sure to encourage the next guy thinking about going postal. It is best that we make sure we let the next potential killer that he can have his 15 minutes of fame too. /heavy sarcasm towards our press/

If I had my way, these guys would NEVER have their names mentioned in the press.

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” General James Mattis, USMC

AngelineKickboxerJoskin_Nodd[Deleted User]
  • TemplarTemplar WashingtonSilver Member Posts: 3,371
    edited June 2014
    cdddd said:

Look at the mass stabbings in China that happen a few times a year. European schools do have occasional issues like this as well. You just have to read foreign media to find the reports. They don't fit the American MSM storyline so you seldom see them.

Here are a couple links:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-26402367

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnenden_school_shooting

Joskin_Nodd[Deleted User]
  • KheldarKheldar IndianaSilver Member Posts: 1,565
    In fairness, American media rarely reports on other countries at all. If it weren't for wars, most Americans wouldn't learn geography at all. 

TemplarOtterJoskin_NoddChanged_Man
    Kheldar said:
    In fairness, American media rarely reports on other countries at all. If it weren't for wars, most Americans wouldn't learn geography at all. 

I think most kids think there are 2 countries - America and The Rest of the World

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
     photo WorldAccordingtoAmericans_zpsc7e51890.jpg
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    Zoroaster_ioTemplarChanged_Man
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    edited June 2014
     Even though my wife and I don't consider ourselves to be Christians, one of the reasons we encourage our daughter to attend various local churches with friends is because it's one of the few outlets in this area that has regular contact with and news about the world outside of the USA, especially concerning areas where peoples day-to-day lives are dramatically different from her and her peers. 

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

[Deleted User]Kheldar
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372

@Monkeys_Uncle it can be even simpler than that.  One of the things my ex and I used to do was try to take my step-kids to a different truly ethnic restaurant every couple of weeks for our Friday dinners out.  Not only widens the kids experience with different foods and tastes, but exposes them to the people from different cultures.

The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    edited June 2014

We have to drive an hour to get to an ethnic restaurant that isn't "Mexican" or "Chinese", but we do like to experiment with that stuff when we can.

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

My parish is rather large and rather diverse. Not only are there people of all races, but also from many countries. The most recent immigrants whose countries of origin I know for sure are Ethiopia, Kuwait, India, Korea, the Philippines, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Cuba and the U.K. Those are just the ones I know for sure. I make it a point to talk about world news with the family. The kids learn perspective and also learn to appreciate what they have.