Tattoo Ideas

bobby52549bobby52549 iowaSilver Member Posts: 9
Not to be over dramatic but Athol's books and this forum have been a godsend for me as I was in a low point of my life before luckily finding this information.  I am now looking to do things I have always wanted to do but did not have the guts. That is why I want to get a tattoo to remind me to always improve my self (map) and to be better today than I was yesterday.  I was hoping to open it up to you guys for ideas. I have been looking for weeks but am stumped. I am looking to get it on the shoulder or back. Please help!

Tagged:
not_again

Comments

• frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386

Excelsior in a cool script could work.  That's Stan Lee's motto- it means ever upward.

Kaizen is the Japanese concept of constant improvement (although the word translates to just improvement).

• MongrelMongrel Pennsylvania, USASilver Member Posts: 1,869

I'm not into tattoos, but if I were to get one I wouldn't want it in a place I couldn't see it without mirrors or contortions, especially if it's meant to be a daily reminder of something.

"If you're not happy with your life, you've got to identify why, and do something about it." -- Mandrill
    "Treating her like a princess didn't make me a prince, it made me a servant."
    Link to triage questions:  http://marriedmansexlife.com/triage-your-relationship-and-the-911-er-category/

Templar
  • FrizFriz FloridaSilver Member Posts: 633

I have one that I got as an 18 year old Sailor. It's on my forearm and has my wife's (then girlfriend) name under a rose. I thought about more later in life, but never had the extra cash. Now that I'm 50, I am glad that I didn't get any more tattoos.

try to look ahead and look at people in their 50s with tats and then decide.

growingafamilyTemplarPandaBear7
  • PhilosophicEntreprenPhilosophicEntrepren Fort WorthSilver Member Posts: 144

@Friz, I got my first tattoo in my mid-40s. I think the proper answer to the "how will it look in your 50s/60s/70s/etc. is - it'll look as good as I do.

@bobby52549, maybe a compass or something nautical to focus on the new course in life you're charting? I've seen some cool designs looking like an old-style compass or map legend.

AngelineWinterVersion3not_again
  • acmartin1960acmartin1960 TennesseeSilver Member Posts: 123

I spent 25 years in the military and didn't get a tattoo until 6 years after I retired. At 53 years old, I got a Spartan helmet with tribal background on my shoulder. My wife thinks its hot with my new muscles.

Now I did a job. Got nothing but trouble since I did it. Not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character. So let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job. And then I get paid. Go run your little world.
    PhilosophicEntreprenOlddogalphadawg50PandaBear7
  • OlddogOlddog CanadaSilver Member Posts: 743

I know someone with a tattoo who has a link added to a chain in the design to celebrate an anniversary.

(Start the marriage jokes in 3, 2, 1... :smiley: )

But I like that idea of continuing to add important moments to a tattoo FWIW.

"STOP.THAT." - Tennee
    "So it seems to me, that you can in fact, you can teach an old dog new tricks" - Jamie Hyneman
    "So that's like a foursome every time you guys get it on!  - Monkeys_Uncle h/t Katherine Kelly
    The_Dude
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    i am nearly certain i would never get inked, but i have thought about it. two itmes come to mind that capture the sentiment i'd be after

- the Japanese characters for 'Mi Zai' (meaning "not yet") ... captures the continuous improvement motif
    - the Latin command 'Sapere Aude' meaning "dare to know") ... kinda captures the courage needed to endure the bitterness of the red bill in order to gain the knowledge of a better, truer way

Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================

The tattoo I want but would never get would be Bugs Bunny flipping the bird. That's just kind of who I am. I doubt the in-laws would be amused. Not sure about the wife, but then I don't worry about making her angry anymore anyway, LOL.

Would James Bond get a tattoo?  Hmmmm.

"If you're not happy with your life, you've got to identify why, and do something about it." -- Mandrill
    Link to triage questions:  http://marriedmansexlife.com/triage-your-relationship-and-the-911-er-category/

• TimSim1971TimSim1971 Oregon -USSilver Member Posts: 1,033
    Stonecutter...

It's a secret club...kinda like here. 

You do want to make sure it's something you can live with forever (or at least until you opt for removal). I have 7 Tats. None of them are visible..even with shorts and a t-shirt. 

stonecutter.jpg
    103 x 90 - 3K

We drive brand new cars and we light fine cigars,

We shine like small town stars through the best days of our lives,

Hold on before you see, that you’re better off without me,

• Mike_MMike_M MDSilver Member Posts: 76

Honestly?  None.  It's a DLV.

OtterRebuildingHusbandLouisepocketacesVersion3
  • MoonstoneMoonstone northeast USAGold Women Posts: 127

Something to remind you of your new course in life - the first thing that came to mind was "you are following your north star" - perhaps a simple small star design that you would name your personal north star, perhaps the Navy Commendation Star.  Alternatively perhaps a constellation that contains the north star, the Little Dipper or Ursa Minor, or even just the word "Polaris," the official name of the north star.

As far as a tattoo being a DLV or a DHV, I think that depends on a number of factors:

(1) the story or the personal meaning behind the tattoo;

(2) the selection and quality of the art;

(3) your attitude towards the tattoo - wear it with confidence and pride;

(4) and one or the other of the following:

(a) the tattoo doesn't detract from your professional status, or cause your peers to negatively prejudge you.  For example, a small, well-done, easily hideable forearm tattoo on a white-collar professional like a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or

(b) the tattoo actively identifies you as a certain member of a group you are proud to be associated with, and that particular subculture holds that tattoos in general are a DHV; for example, bikers, tattoo artists, rock musicians, certain military. 

@Mike_M........

This discussion has played out a few times here...But I'm always curious. 

Why would a tattoo be a DLV? 

Angeline said:

A tattoo should be considered permanent art on your body. Forever. Methods to remove or "edit" them are less than successful. 

If you're having to ask strangers on the internet for inspiration for what to ink on your body, then you shouldn't get one. You're in love with the idea of a tattoo. But you have no passion or mission in your life worthy of permanent expression on your body if you have to ask other people for ideas.

True Dat

[Deleted User]
  • EightbitEightbit DruidiaGold Men Posts: 2,410
    Mongrel said:

I'm not into tattoos, but if I were to get one I wouldn't want it in a place I couldn't see it without mirrors or contortions, especially if it's meant to be a daily reminder of something.

Holy double negatives!  I read this four times and still am unsure.  Are you saying you want to be able to see it "without mirrors or contortions"?

FWIW, there's a local company here doing a good business removing tattoos.  That pretty much tells me all I need to know about getting a tattoo LOL

Insert witty, insightful signature here.
    Rico

Sorry I confused you @Eightbit. What I was trying to cleverly say was that if I'm getting a tattoo, why on earth would I have it put on my back where I'm never going to see it?  If I'm paying for art, I want to be able to enjoy it, dammit! I shouldn't give a fig if someone else sees it/enjoys it; it's supposed to be for me.

Or maybe I just don't get tattoos...which is why I didn't get a tattoo. :p

• wanderingTheDesertwanderingTheDesert Desert SWSilver Member Posts: 219

First of all, I say forget the guys who say "if you need the help of strangers, don't get a tattoo".  If we didn't seek the advice of strangers, none of us would be on the forum. 

But really, I like the compass, it North Star. A sextant, even. But why not a map?  Could be a fictional map, one of your own design? Or a real map. Maybe even a map stylized like a Tolkein version. 

Good luck. Let us know what you decide. 

bobby52549
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500

Advice of strangers is fine. But if you draw your entire inspiration from strangers, don't be surprised if it doesnt fit you.

"Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    [Deleted User]MariaThe_D_WordJellyBean
  • LouiseLouise EnglandSilver Member Posts: 1,622

tattoos are hideous.  

AngelineRedfordMike_MUnBetaMe