Tattoo Ideas

2»

Comments

• OlddogOlddog CanadaSilver Member Posts: 743
    Angeline said:

A tattoo should be considered permanent art on your body. Forever. Methods to remove or "edit" them are less than successful. 

If you're having to ask strangers on the internet for inspiration for what to ink on your body, then you shouldn't get one. You're in love with the idea of a tattoo. But you have no passion or mission in your life worthy of permanent expression on your body if you have to ask other people for ideas.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to ask for inspiration. My ex had very similar reasons for wanting one.

We bandied about many an idea before he settled on his. The one he decided on was very much a 'yes, that's it!!!' moment when I showed him the picture it was then modeled on.

Like any artwork really, just make sure it speaks to you.

"STOP.THAT." - Tennee
    "So it seems to me, that you can in fact, you can teach an old dog new tricks" - Jamie Hyneman
    "So that's like a foursome every time you guys get it on!  - Monkeys_Uncle h/t Katherine Kelly
    Angeline
  • MongrelMongrel Pennsylvania, USASilver Member Posts: 1,869
    Louise said:

tattoos are hideous.  

Too broad of a statement.

I generally dislike them, and really dislike seeing a lot of them, or sleeves, or full body art (like Danielle on American Pickers...wouldn't want to see that when she's 70).  However...

A subtle little tattoo is kind of sexy.  My wife had wanted one for awhile, and we saw one on another gal that was perfect for her in both statement and subtlety, so she got it with my 'approval'. And all was fine with the world. Birds sang, butterflies flew gaily, the peasants rejoiced.

Then she got tattoo #2 without any consultation from me (the only talk we had was her wanting another one, and me professing that I didn't think it would be a good idea). That blew up into our largest disagreement of the marriage, but I'm straying OT now...

My point is, tattoos by themselves aren't necessarily bad. I dislike 90% of the ones I see, but occasionally I'll see something that I think is cool and/or sexy. It's a matter of taste or preference. If it's prior to marriage, it's another factor in what I find attractive or not, kind of like a pixie haircut; you're probably going to severely limit your dating base if that's the look you're going for. After marriage, however...one thing to consider is you're not the only person who is going to 'enjoy' that thing for the rest of your days. Though ultimately it's the individual's decision, I think the opinion of the spouse should be seriously considered on something so permanent.

"If you're not happy with your life, you've got to identify why, and do something about it." -- Mandrill
    "Treating her like a princess didn't make me a prince, it made me a servant."
    Link to triage questions:  http://marriedmansexlife.com/triage-your-relationship-and-the-911-er-category/

• Mike_MMike_M MDSilver Member Posts: 76

Precisely.  If anything, cut across the fads.  Ignore them.

• Version3Version3 Silver Member Posts: 1,906
    I'm a former Peace Corps volunteer, white collar Fed living my protected life...and I have a tattoo. Screw stereotypes.

"The pain of discipline is a tiny thing compared to the pain of regret."

It's an obstacle. Get over it.

TimSim1971Olddognot_again
  • TimSim1971TimSim1971 Oregon -USSilver Member Posts: 1,033
    edited July 2014

@BlueWolf....most of us could probably use that

We drive brand new cars and we light fine cigars,

We shine like small town stars through the best days of our lives,

Hold on before you see, that you’re better off without me,

[Deleted User]BlueWolf
  • ffp20ffp20 upstate nySilver Member Posts: 224

i have a maltese cross with our flag in the center with the words "brotherhood" and "honor" on my shoulder.

Angeline
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    When I was in martial arts I got a Tattoo of a Dragon with a flaming no staff. The color of its claws were all different to match up with the belt I had attained.
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    My ex has my name in big block Old English letters on her vag...

ftw
    BettermanUnBetaMenot_againAngeline
  • UnBetaMeUnBetaMe Through The GatesMember Posts: 1,211
    Some people, as pointed out above, have specific reasons for getting a tattoo. Lost soldiers, family members illness etc.

That's fine with me. 
    However, if it is just something to say 'hey this would look cool', then I ask...
    Would you put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari? 
    AngelineFriz
  • findingalphafindingalpha Great lakesGold Men Posts: 207
    No but I might place racing stripes on a mustang. 
    not_again