Advise on what is turning out to be a Serious Relationship

Comments

• LisaLisa Silver Member Posts: 201

@scarlet - castigate?  I'm just pointing out her actions that would bother me. You're obviously comfortable to give the advice to go full steam ahead, but I'm not as understanding of the lies.

• Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045

You are getting a lot of good advice here from people who give really good advice, so I hesitate to say this... but if I understand the timeline correctly, I think I would eject from this relationship.

You said:

"It came a point where I would get up and leave after she rejected me and having gone though what I had, I kinda suspected something and I asked flat out front if there was another man in the picture. She denied it."

If you have evidence that the other dude was still in the picture when this conversation happened, then you have evidence that your GF will be dishonest when she is feeling conflicted and trapped.   That is a red flag to me.  Even if you guys weren't in a committed relationship at the time, you were in a relationship where honesty was a reasonable expectation.

It sounds like maybe the conversation happened as the relationship with the other man was unraveling, but then her journal said they gave it another try later.  I would get a very clear understanding of the timeline and circumstances. 

At the very least, I would not make a decision about marrying her or not at this time.  I typically recommend people date for two years before making a decision about marriage.   I think in this case I would double that timeframe due to this issue.   

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

• try_red_pilltry_red_pill Silver Member Posts: 713
    The_Dude said:

@try_red_pill‌ ; Demanding a paternity test in a prenup for some future may be child is crazy.  If she didn't kick you in the balls if you asked for that I'd wonder about her a little. 

@The_Dude she has shown the willingness to chase alpha, admittedly in a non exclusive situation, and then bend the truth to minimize the damage when things got serious. The worst outcome for @icaerus‌ is unknowingly raising some other guys kid. A paternity test, perhaps done surreptitiously, is a defensive strategy against this as your suggestion to 'keep her attracted' is an offensive one. After reading some of @icaerus‌ later responses it sounds less of a risky situation. The conversation now needs to turn to what their expectations after marriage are. How many kids, SAHM, part time or full time work etc if he decides to go ahead. Good luck @icaerus‌.
    Dharma, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
    Progress not perfection.

icaerus
  • August_WestAugust_West New JerseyMember Posts: 127

@icaerus The honesty issue is the killer here. You clearly feel comfortable forgiving/living with everything else and maintaining your captain/alpha status. You caught her being dishonest, and then covering up her big lie with another half-truth. If you can't find a way to put that totally behind you and let that go, then you're not going to be able to sustain a marriage with her, because it is always going to come back to whether you can trust her.

Trust in a relationship is like a car - it can survive the minor dings and scratches of a few little white lies just fine, but when the framework is bent or broken, even if the patience is there for a major repair, it will never be the same again. If you can live with that, you're ready to be married to this person.

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500

As someone on the lied to end of an affair, I'm pretty hard line on stuff that appears like it would lead to it.

But I also get pretty torqued when someone tries to holdme to a standard they clearly don't follow, and the OP's admission that during the time this "affair" was going on he would have hit some strange if he'd had the chance negates all the handwringing. It is a fact that some people of either gender get bent out of shape about stuff that happened before they were even in the picture. Non-exclusive dating means ElTHER party is free to pursue other options. But good manners says you don't flaunt it.

When plate-spinning transitions to exclusive dating, you don't suddenly get permission to mine the plate days for things to get angry over.

"Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    ScarletMonkeys_UnclePersephoneOlddog
    edited July 2014
    Angeline said:

As someone on the lied to end of an affair, I'm pretty hard line on stuff that appears like it would lead to it.

But I also get pretty torqued when someone tries to holdme to a standard they clearly don't follow, and the OP's admission that during the time this "affair" was going on he would have hit some strange if he'd had the chance negates all the handwringing.

@Angeline ; This might seem like I'm splitting hairs, but I think it is important:  seeing (and even having sex with) other people while they were dating but before they were exclusive is not the issue, as I see it.   The issue is that when she was seeing somebody else, it was effecting her and the OP's sex life together, he was trying to figure out what was going on, asked her if there was somebody else in the picture, and she lied to him about it.  To me that is a different issue from the one you are pointing out above... not exclusivity, but honesty.

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

edited July 2014

But he didn't have any right to that information.

ETA: Switch the genders, what would we be advising him if she went all ballistic over someone else he dated / slept with in the early dating period, when he had not offered or requested exclusivity? We'd be telling him to get the heck out of Bunny Boiler-Ville.

@Monkeys_Uncle said:

Angeline said: As someone on the lied to end of an affair, I'm pretty hard line on stuff that appears like it would lead to it.But I also get pretty torqued when someone tries to holdme to a standard they clearly don't follow, and the OP's admission that during the time this "affair" was going on he would have hit some strange if he'd had the chance negates all the handwringing.
    @Angeline ; This might seem like I'm splitting hairs, but I think it is important:  seeing (and even having sex with) other people while they were dating but before they were exclusive is not the issue, as I see it.   The issue is that when she was seeing somebody else, it was effecting her and the OP's sex life together, he was trying to figure out what was going on, asked her if there was somebody else in the picture, and she lied to him about it.  To me that is a different issue from the one you are pointing out above... not exclusivity, but honesty.

Remember to play!

Scarlet
  • LisaLisa Silver Member Posts: 201

@Angeline Yes, if OP is outraged that she was seeing and having sex with someone else, he needs to let that go because he admits they weren't exclusive and he would have been interested in doing the same during that time frame.  But if he has bothered by the fact that she affirmatively lied about her plate spinning, then that's a different situation. 

edited July 2014

Angeline said:

I have to disagree.  Maybe in a one-night stand situation that information would be inconsequential.   But when you are having sex with somebody regularly, going on dates, building a relationship with them, you have a right to know if they are fucking somebody else.   You just don't have a right to make them stop doing it.

Lisa said:

@Angeline Yes, if OP is outraged that she was seeing and having sex with someone else, he needs to let that go because he admits they weren't exclusive and he would have been interested in doing the same during that time frame.  But if he has bothered by the fact that she affirmatively lied about her plate spinning, then that's a different situation. 

The reality of modern dating is that you don't have any claims on another person's dating/sexual life unless you are offering an exclusive commitment. My advice to anyone who is getting demands of exclusivity without any reciprocal offering is to Next them.

Remember to play!

ScarletJellyBeanOlddog
    Angeline said:
     Switch the genders, what would we be advising him if she went all ballistic over someone else he dated / slept with in the early dating period, when he had not offered or requested exclusivity? We'd be telling him to get the heck out of Bunny Boiler-Ville.

Again, the question isn't about who slept with who and when, it is about lying.  If a girl come here saying her now boyfriend outright lied to her about spinning other plates when they were first getting together, I would tell her she has a boyfriend who has a history of lying to her, and she should consider that carefully when she thinks about building a marriage with him.

edited July 2014

Angeline said:

I have to disagree.  Maybe in a one-night stand situation that information would be inconsequential.   But when you are having sex with somebody regularly, going on dates, building a relationship with them, you have a right to know if they are fucking somebody else.   You just don't have a right to make them stop doing it.

We should probably split this out into its own Thread. @Serenity, could you please send these plate-spinner comments out? And please add your own perspective, because I know we had several conversations about it.

The reality is, you won't get a straight answer either way. They should both assume there are other partners. Women will not admit to it because it makes them look slutty, men won't admit to it because they think she'll say no to sex. 

Dating is not Marriage Lite.

Remember to play!

ScarletJellyBeanOlddog
    Angeline said:

The reality of modern dating is that you don't have any claims on another person's dating/sexual life unless you are offering an exclusive commitment. My advice to anyone who is getting demands of exclusivity without any reciprocal offering is to Next them.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement.

I would still Next someone who lied to me about fucking other people when asked.  There are many good responses when the person you've been casually hooking up with asks if you are having sex with other people.  None of them involve lying. 

• DancenyDanceny Ft. Collins, COSilver Member Posts: 998
    @Angeline said:

ETA: Switch the genders, what would we be advising him if she went all ballistic over someone else he dated / slept with in the early dating period, when he had not offered or requested exclusivity? We'd be telling him to get the heck out of Bunny Boiler-Ville.

It matters more that the prospective wife has a low pre-martial notch count.  This is traditional wisdom and straight out of the MMSL Primer.  Plus she's a liar.

edited July 2014

Danceny said:

@Angeline said:

It matters more that the prospective wife has a low pre-martial notch count.  This is traditional wisdom and straight out of the MMSL Primer.  Plus she's a liar.

To my recollection, there was the ONE other guy in this story.

Remember to play!

ScarletOlddog