My Wife is Becoming Another Person

Comments

• OlddogOlddog CanadaSilver Member Posts: 743

Gah!

I'm so offended you think I have no moral compass, it's leaving me speechless.

I completely agree with @Scarlet, maybe it's time to reevaluate what you think is the meaning of 'good Christian.' Would it make a difference in your life if you just became a 'decent human being'?

"STOP.THAT." - Tennee
    "So it seems to me, that you can in fact, you can teach an old dog new tricks" - Jamie Hyneman
    "So that's like a foursome every time you guys get it on!  - Monkeys_Uncle h/t Katherine Kelly
    JellyBeanPersephoneMiddleMancountrygirly
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    edited August 2014

Liberal churches are more likely to accept being a stop on your journey, not the final destination. They are less likely to freak if someone questions the basics of faith. They'll give you a way to keep religion in the kids' lives, and serve as a social community. And who knows? It might be the right place for you.

Don't want to get lost in the weeds here, but I'm gonna have to disagree with this - I've dealt with one of the more liberal denominations throughout my career, and my experience is that they can be just as prone towards fundamentalist/cult-like thinking as the most conservative churches - just in the opposite direction.  

Try arguing for the physical resurrection or virgin birth; that the Bible is the inerrant word of God; be against gay marriage, abortion on demand, female elders; that "social holiness" != sanctification, etc., and you will get run out on a rail. Not *all* of the members/congregations are that hardline, but more than enough are - it's not simply outliers or a loud minority. 

OneEyedDrunkHildaCorners
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054

How are things with you, OED?

A great many people who leave the LDS church do have a phase where they experiment with a great many things that are forbidden to LDS.  Right or wrong, many LDS believe that the entire universe of "forbidden" things are equally bad.  Wearing normal underwear or drinking coffee is equally as sinful as having anal sex with your friend's husband.  So sometimes when people leave the LDS church they experiment with some of these "forbidden" activities, and like rebellious teenagers, they occasionally swing far to the other end of things before they even out and realize that they can still live normal, happy, healthy lives without engaging in drunken orgies every weekend.

I can see how it might concern you that your wife might be at risk for leaving your marriage once she left the church.  It seems to me unlikely that she would want to return to church, any church, but she seems to still want to be your wife and to look to you as a leader.

Your comment about the tattoos struck me as interesting.  You are certainly entitled to have an opinion about how your wife might modify her body.  But tattoos are not necessarily indicative of any particular mindset of the people who sport them.  I agree with you that a lot of people who leave the church get tattooed.  But that doesn't make them bad people, or sinners.  On the spectrum of things that a spouse could do that would affect the marriage, having a tattoo seems a lot less serious than sexual cheating.

Have you had any new thoughts about this topic?

Enneagram type 9w1
    OlddogHildaCornersHusband3point0
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
    edited August 2014
    @JellyBean  

Many people have a perception that women with tatoos are more promiscuous and according to at least one study, women with tatoos are approached more frequently by men. 

The perceptions may not be fair or accurate, but they exist.

JellyBean said:

A great many people who leave the LDS church do have a phase where they experiment with a great many things that are forbidden to LDS.  Right or wrong, many LDS believe that the entire universe of "forbidden" things are equally bad.  Wearing normal underwear or drinking coffee is equally as sinful as having anal sex with your friend's husband.  So sometimes when people leave the LDS church they experiment with some of these "forbidden" activities, and like rebellious teenagers, they occasionally swing far to the other end of things before they even out and realize that they can still live normal, happy, healthy lives without engaging in drunken orgies every weekend.

I can see how it might concern you that your wife might be at risk for leaving your marriage once she left the church.  It seems to me unlikely that she would want to return to church, any church, but she seems to still want to be your wife and to look to you as a leader.

Your comment about the tattoos struck me as interesting.  You are certainly entitled to have an opinion about how your wife might modify her body.  But tattoos are not necessarily indicative of any particular mindset of the people who sport them.  I agree with you that a lot of people who leave the church get tattooed.  But that doesn't make them bad people, or sinners.  On the spectrum of things that a spouse could do that would affect the marriage, having a tattoo seems a lot less serious than sexual cheating.

• OneEyedDrunkOneEyedDrunk Out West Silver Member Posts: 1,808
    Serenity said:
    @JellyBean  

Many people have a perception that women with tatoos are more promiscuous and according to at least one study, women with tatoos are approached more frequently by men. 

The perceptions may not be fair or accurate, but they exist.

JellyBean said:

I hold the stereotype to be accurate, but it of course depends on where the tattoos go. I was really just venting more than anything when I made the comment about the tattoo. My wife seems unlikely to get one after further thought and observations. 

oneeyeddrunk.weebly.com
  • CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
    edited August 2014

All, reading the last couple of pages we're so off course I'm not sure if we're helping OneEyedDrunk at all.  I can't tell what the original question was at this point from where we are.

I do think he has a valid concern that his wife might be getting sucked into something that is not good for the health of his marriage.  Whether we agree with her religion, or whether she has a right to those beliefs, are separate questions.

"Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
    CrashaxeOneEyedDrunkSerenityjessie
  • OneEyedDrunkOneEyedDrunk Out West Silver Member Posts: 1,808

JellyBean said:

Things are going really good right now. I have not mentioned any of my concerns, and I don't plan on it. They are just that at this point-concerns. We've actually been out of the church for close to 4 years. We have a few friends in and out of the church, but honestly the new friends we have are much needed. I work out of the home, and have some level of isolation due to the fact that I work alone a great deal of my day. It's good for both of us. She works in man office with actual coworkers. 

Many things you mention above are where my wife and I are at. We don't wear our garments, we drink alcohol (I got her started on a tropical vacation shortly after we stopped going), and she drinks coffee. I can't stand coffee which is why I don't drink it. 

The interesting thing is she has said all along (until recently) that she believes in God, and that is where she was at. After we left the church we rebounded to another conservative church. I found it hard to wear a "wife-beater" and show up and worship which was one of the reasons we chose that church. We were treated like trophies more than new members. We didn't go back after we were baptized there for that reason. 

She has said she resents organized religion for a few years, and I kind of just put it on the back burner every time she would put down the idea of us going to find another church. She brings up how I hated going to the LDS church (true). I think a part of her is afraid of going to another church given how we were in the past. 

------She just woke up. Will post more in a little while.---------------

oneeyeddrunk.weebly.com
    Olddog
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323

The category, not the forum  ;)

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
  • Dia_DianaDia_Diana EUMember Posts: 10

I think your W is on a spiritual quest to find out if what she has believed in is true. May be she was disappointed from the religious system that you belonged to and is reassessing it as well as her own views about God. This that she now sees herself as atheist doesn't mean she may not conclude otherwise after a while. In my opinion you should leave her some space to reach the answer on her own... Her moral views may change in the process but I doubt it will be a drastic change. Why don't you discuss what you think about God together? Listen to her opinion with respect and share what you think too.  I think that it doesn't matter which church or religion you belong to or not belong to because God doesn't need mediators. Concentrate on your belief in God... not on finding a church. Good luck!

• RangerJohnRangerJohn God's CountrySilver Member Posts: 179

Your success with UU churches can depend highly on your area.   I tried a similar tactic when we lived in a larger city and the UU church there was basically a gay church.   Straight folks were welcome but stuck out like a sore thumb.      

Yeah, not sure I want that for my family. Thanks! Probably other churches similar to check out. 

Check out the Cowboy Churches. Started to cater to the folks who felt shunned because they did not wear suits or dresses. The one I attend is based on AG denomination. Laid back...blue jeans or shorts. You do not have to be a rancher or farmer to attend...I'm a Tx parole officer and several cops and two electric company employees I know also attend.

• EightbitEightbit DruidiaGold Men Posts: 2,410
    This is off topic but I don't care.

This stereotype in the US that atheists are somehow immoral, evil people has got to change, and that starts with religious people not automatically judging someone based on what that person chooses to believe or not believe.  Judge the person's actions.

Pirouette and I are atheist, and I'm a pastor's son.  I've seen some truly disgusting things done by people who claim to worship Jesus. I don't jump to conclusions about that person's religion, I judge then based on their actions.  Here in the south I do not reveal my atheist tendencies to anyone until I really get to know them.  I do that to avoid the ramifications of their religion's ignorance.
    Insert witty, insightful signature here.
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    Athol_Kay said:

Isn't the irony that you're on an atheist hosted forum talking like she's falling in with the wrong crowd?

The concepts for this website are very relevant for people of faith as well. 

@oneeyeddrunk ;  I would like you to read those statements again and then think for a moment.. do you really need the label?  "christian" or is it the contents you seek? "living a moral life as the Christ intended"   What is more important to you?  Answer that question and you may find solace.
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.