Outlander: AKA 50 Shades of Plaid

Comments

• PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632

Yeah, 50 Shades and Outlander are literally nothing alike. I've read both, kinda.

A peeked at the wiki for Outlander, and saw that a lot of bad shit was about to happen, so I stopped reading. In my head, Jamie and Claire lived happily ever after on that farm. 

AngelineWanting
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    TPoke said:    Are American women so starved for alpha that even the absolute worst asshole alpha is now the pinnacle of attraction? I get this fits with evolutionary psychology but the degree and how widespread this is still surprised me. 

Historical Fiction novels aside, I think this is really the meat of your question, and is worth fleshing out a bit.  It is something I have struggled with as well:  women find Bad Boys more attractive than Boy Scouts, and part of what is so frustrating about that for so many men is that Bad Boys are very often amoral or downright immoral.   Not to the degree where they go around raping women all the time, but moreso than a lot of Nice Guys who struggle to attract women.    

It makes it hard to feel good about being an honest, straight-dealing, God fearing, hardworking dude, but it is what it is.  Adopting attractive Bad Boy characteristics without actually becoming a snakey piece of shit is a hard trick to pull off. 

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

[Deleted User]OlddogScarlet
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323

This x1000!

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    MaterStellieOlddogsashaJellyBean
  • TPokeTPoke OklahomaSilver Member Posts: 711

I think this varies from woman to women some too. My wife loves Gone With The Wind too and Rhett definitely pushed through some hard sounding "no's" in that flick, so much so that I have seen the film criticized for being pro rape. The criticism of this series sounds similar. There's gray area for a hard charging character who takes what he wants. One woman's dashing scoundrel is another's rapist (probably depending on the attraction level). 

My wife being into this series is yet another indicator that I'm married to an apha junky. 

AngelineOlddogMona
  • SisyphusSisyphus Silver Member Posts: 1,094
    TPoke said:

I think this varies from woman to women some too. My wife loves Gone With The Wind too and Rhett definitely pushed through some hard sounding "no's" in that flick, so much so that I have seen the film criticized for being pro rape. The criticism of this series sounds similar. There's gray area for a hard charging character who takes what he wants. One woman's dashing scoundrel is another's rapist (probably depending on the attraction level). 

My wife being into this series is yet another indicator that I'm married to an apha junky. 

My wife doesn't seem like an alpha junkie - she has the whole Jeykell & Hyde thing where she wants us to be equals, blah, blah, blah but has VERY definite requirements that she thinks all men should meet to be considered REAL men.  So I'm thinking some fun, pushing through "no's" might actually be a turn-on for her.

• SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075

ARRGHH  SLAM!  lol

Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    Sisyphus
  • SisyphusSisyphus Silver Member Posts: 1,094

I might have to have a look at this series. Sounds like interesting bedtime viewing. 

On another note, my wife really likes my legs. I suspect that Outlander + my wife = a request for the donning of a kilt.

I've got good, solid Scottish legs so I think I could rock a kilt too!

AngelineScarletKattsasha
  • HopeAndHardWorkHopeAndHardWork USASilver Member Posts: 577
    Katt said:

What are the odds of getting my Italian husband to put on a kilt and talk dirty Scotsman to me?  

Fugghedaboutit!!!!

Yeah, about the same as mine.  I keep telling him he'd look awesome in a kilt since he's got the legs for it, but he's never going to put one on.  Maybe it's the Italian genes.  They're much more interested in eating a great meal and then bending DW over the table afterwards to be bothered with stuff like that.  ;)

"Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography."   -Robert Byrne
    "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones"  -Helena Rubenstein
    "Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and fifty percent what people think you've got."   -Sophia Loren
    KattAngelineTiberius
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited August 2014

In Austria kilts are seen more and more, especially in combination with traditional Austrian leather jackets.

Apparently it's not a huge step to switch to a skirt once you are used to wearing leather trousers ;-) 

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    Angeline
  • HopeAndHardWorkHopeAndHardWork USASilver Member Posts: 577
    Katt said:

What are the odds of getting my Italian husband to put on a kilt and talk dirty Scotsman to me?  

Fugghedaboutit!!!!

Yeah, about the same as mine.  I keep telling him he'd look awesome in a kilt since he's got the legs for it, but he's never going to put one on.  Maybe it's the Italian genes.  They're much more interested in eating a great meal and then bending DW over the table afterwards to be bothered with stuff like that.  ;)

How about a roman centurion who just conquered your village and you're his spoils of war? Surely these strapping Italian men would be interested in pillaging you ladies for an evening. No?

Well, my strapping Italian man has no problem pillaging me whenever he wants.  I'm certainly not complaining.  He just refuses to wear a skirt.

And as for dirty talk, well you know those Italians.  They like to talk with their hands.  :D

"Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography."   -Robert Byrne
    "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones"  -Helena Rubenstein
    "Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and fifty percent what people think you've got."   -Sophia Loren
    KattAngelinePersephoneTiberius
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    edited August 2014

Ditto to @HopeAndHardWork‌   LOL.  Mr. Katt doesn't do role playing.  I suggested a "situation" once and he told me I could wear whatever I wanted but he wasn't putting on a costume to have sex... And the extent of dirty talk for him is giving sexual orders.   Not much of a words guy in general...  Unlike his wife haha

Persephone
  • cddddcdddd ChicagoSilver Member Posts: 225
    edited August 2014
    TPoke said:

Are American women so starved for alpha that even the absolute worst asshole alpha is now the pinnacle of attraction? I get this fits with evolutionary psychology but the degree and how widespread this is still surprised me. 

Don't forget about being able to leave your husband and run off consequence-free with another (more exciting?) man. Letting the female audience vicariously enjoy this scenario is the obvious point of the plot device.

Louise