Outlander: AKA 50 Shades of Plaid

Comments

• ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542
    cdddd said:
    TPoke said:

Are American women so starved for alpha that even the absolute worst asshole alpha is now the pinnacle of attraction? I get this fits with evolutionary psychology but the degree and how widespread this is still surprised me. 

Don't forget about being able to leave your husband and run off consequence-free with another (more exciting?) man. Letting the female audience vicariously enjoy this scenario is the obvious point of the plot device.

That is not even remotely what happens.

Speak your truth. 
    MariaMrsJon
  • TPokeTPoke OklahomaSilver Member Posts: 711
    Lol.. And by remotely you mean exactly.... 

• cddddcdddd ChicagoSilver Member Posts: 225

So she doesn't leave the 50's dude for some hot young Scottish warrior? I dunno, I haven't read it, but I did find this. There's a funny spoiler-including plot review too, but you'll have to click the link for that:

How To Commit Adultery Without Being a Cheap Slutty Whore: A Q&A by Diana Gabaldon

Q: I love my husband but I'm feeling kind of restless. But adultery is wrong. So what do I do?
    A: Easy! Go back in time!

Q: What do you mean, Ms. Gabaldon?
    A: If you go back in time, your husband hasn't been born yet. So you can have wild and crazy S&M sex with impunity.

Q: But won't I still be married to him?
    A: Aren't you listening? He hasn't been BORN yet. So you aren't married! But if you are really being such a stickler, then just have someone force you to get married to someone else.

Q: But, but, no one can force me to get married against my will!
    A: Okay, let me lay it out for you: You're really hot for this sexy warrior barbarian guy, right? I know this, because you stop thinking about your husband about 24 hours after you've been dropped in this guy's arms. So you get in this situation where some obscure tribal law insists you have to get married, make a little protest, sign some papers, and voila! 

Q: But that doesn't mean I have to sleep with him.
    A: Oh but you do, because some random dude insists that you have to. Don't worry, the sex will be great even though he's a 23 year old virgin. So you see, you HAVE to do it, so it's okay.

Q; But isn't it a sin?
    A: Fine, find a priest at the end of the book to absolve you, whatever. And anyway, it's okay because your husband basically told you it was okay, right before you were whisked back in time. Seriously, go for it. When else will you get the chance? You've been married for years. You deserve a little hot and heavy barbarian action.

Q: So what's this hot barbarian guy like?
    A: Well, watch out, because he loves to reminisce about how his dad used to beat him and how wonderful that was. And he really gets off on beating you, but it's just the once. Oh, and it seems that he wants you so badly he can't restrain from ramming you repeatedly with his male member while telling you how much he can't restrain himself and that gets seriously annoying after the twentieth time. But otherwise, it's all good.

Q: Anything else I should be aware of?
    A: Surprise! Buttsex! But not for you, so it's okay.
    TPokeLouise

No.  Dude, I've read all the books 2-3 times.  I'm not just pulling stuff out of my ass based on reviews and snippets.  The beauty of the series, IMO, is that while the situations are far-fetched, the characters of fully fleshed out humans.  Frank, Jamie, and Claire are all good but flawed people, and that is what makes the story so compelling.  The issue of two husbands in different centuries is not ignored or dismissed - it's a rather large issue in the second book, Dragonfly in Amber. 

If you wish to read it and make a meaningful conclusion for yourself (in which case you could certainly discuss it at length here and we can engage in more analysis than you ever really wanted) now's the time - all the book versions are less than $5 and we won't talk about how much money I spent on them.   :D

Speak your truth. 
    Maria
    Anyhoo, getting back on the real topic of Outlander fan discussion,  ;) who has watched the first episode and what did you think?  I was quite pleased with it.  There are a few things I could nit-pick, but I'm consciously trying not to do that, because the formats are simply so different.  Particularly good was the shoulder relocation scene.  Sam Heughan, the actor playing Jamie, was excellent there.  Dh watched it with me and said it interested him enough to want to continue watching the series. 

Speak your truth. 
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323

Need.to.stay.out.of.this.thread.

Can't watch the show in Europe and will have to wait until spring 2015!!!

:(

But I ordered book 8, it should arrive soon. Small consolation.

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    Scarlet

@Maria I'm so sorry!   :\  But when you're reading the eighth book we can discuss it all you like and I won't mention the show once! 

Speak your truth. 

Discuss the show away, @scarlet! It's only going to build anticipation, which is great.  :-) 

Scarlet

Terribly funny and spot-on review of the first episode, from someone who has not read the books:  http://www.hitfix.com/monkeys-as-critics/recap-outlander-sassenach/single-page

Speak your truth. 
    magentaSisyphusMrsJon
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554

@Scarlet‌ We just finally watched the first episode and I definitely want to see more!!!!  Jamie's hot ;)

ScarletMaria
    @Katt  He really is, isn't he?  I think the casting is excellent. 

Speak your truth. 
    Katt

I found a way to watch the show!!!! YAY!!!!!

And this should probably go into the "Shit my man said" thread:

http://thats-normal.com/2014/08/things-husband-says-outlander/

http://thats-normal.com/2014/08/things-husband-says-outlander-castle-leoch

SisyphusAngelineScarlet
  • MasterOfTheUniverseMasterOfTheUniverse USASilver Member Posts: 507

Neither I nor my wife ever heard of the books or the TV series (and probably will never read or watch it), but I noticed that Ronald D. Moore (of Battlestar Galactica) directs it, so that's about 1,000 points in its favor.

ScarletTPoke
    edited August 2014

I agree, the first two episodes took their time, but the show's bound to gain momentum soon if it follows the books - which it does according to what I've read so far.

There's really an awful lot to happen from now on!  Until now the stage has been set.

Scarlet
  • LouiseLouise EnglandSilver Member Posts: 1,622
    cdddd said:
    TPoke said:

Are American women so starved for alpha that even the absolute worst asshole alpha is now the pinnacle of attraction? I get this fits with evolutionary psychology but the degree and how widespread this is still surprised me. 

Don't forget about being able to leave your husband and run off consequence-free with another (more exciting?) man. Letting the female audience vicariously enjoy this scenario is the obvious point of the plot device.

This is a popular theme of torrid period romances - the heroine is seperated from the man she loves by forces beyond her control.  In the 'Angelique' books by Sergeanne Golon, and the 'Catherine' and 'Marianne' series by  Juliette Bonzoni, the heroines end up having sexual encounters with a number of other men through absolutely no fault of their own (they always end up in a Sultan's harem at some point).  They are eventually reunited with the hero unscathed by their experiences.
  • magentamagenta usaSilver Member Posts: 136
    We've watched all the episodes so far, but I haven't read the books. Question: Is Claire supposed to be older than Jamie?
    @magenta  Yes, she is 4.5 years older than he.  In the book, she is 27 years old when she goes through the stones in spring (the show changed it to fall due to scheduling) and he has just turned 23 years old. 
    Speak your truth. 
    magenta
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    Ok who's watching tonight???