10 lbs down, 70 to go - need free weight tips

August_WestAugust_West New JerseyMember Posts: 127

Just got down to under 240 from being up around 250. Lots of work to go, but I already feel better from running and lifting. I am curious about where I can find some good free weight exercises. I'm a little sick of using the machines on the circuit, and I'm not really up on how to do free weights beyond deadlifts, lunges and bicep curls. Any suggestions/tips?

[Deleted User]TenneeScarlet

Comments

• SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    edited August 2014
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Check out    Starting strength   and Strong Lifts

Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    August_West[Deleted User]Hipster_HickFormerNiceGuy
  • anonanon Silver Member Posts: 74

yeah what they said...they both have a free ap available to help track your progress. 

August_West
  • Noble1Noble1 CanadaMember Posts: 70

Sites like bodybuilding.com have areas where they list different exercises per body part with videos on how to perform the movements too.

Yeah there is some pushing of the store, but you don't need to buy.

The secret to happiness is being able to answer.....

...if I wanted to, I could.

• Hipster_HickHipster_Hick A little of this, a little of that. I get aroundSilver Member Posts: 447

Stronglifts has a good system, but more important is Starting Strength as a resource to ensure good form.  If you're doing deadlifts without the right form, you're taking on some risk.  It's an excellent book.  Unfortunately I had it and still had to progress to heavier weights and work through some nagging pains before I learned the importance of proper form.  Don't underestimate it.

If you don't use either system above, you should at least be doing squats.  But check your ego, start at low weights and learn proper form.  After squatting for two years I am still learning from starting strength.

-----------------
    No, I don't go cow-tipping.  It's too mainstream...
    Sisyphus
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075

Squats  Homie!   Proper form.  I started with body weight squats,  No shame in that.  But most important

TAKE ACTION.

Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    DaddyOhNeverSleptOnTheCouch[Deleted User]
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589

Great advice. I also am proponent of squats. Low weights, proper form. 

I was given some good advice on squat form. 

Knees bend, ass out and pretend someone just poured cold water down your spine. 

"How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
    Mr_Brown[Deleted User]
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632

Keep in mind that most of your fat loss is gonna happen in the kitchen. If you're not already, MyFitnessPal are LoseIt are great apps for logging meals and counting macros. 

[Deleted User][Deleted User]BourneAgain
  • SisyphusSisyphus Silver Member Posts: 1,094

Keep in mind that most of your fat loss is gonna happen in the kitchen. If you're not already, MyFitnessPal are LoseIt are great apps for logging meals and counting macros. 

^^^^THIS They should spend the first day in every gym in a kitchen in the back making sure you can read labels and cook a chicken breast.  

I've been writing down everything I eat (the good, the bad and the ugly) for months now and I can tell you it's a real learning experience.  Use the apps if they work for you.  I have a printout of the foods I eat 95% of the time in a notebook because I hate being dependent on my phone and it's quicker for me.  But do what works for you.  I know this sounds trite but you have to do what works for you - no one has the PERFECT diet or exercise routine. 

SaigoTakamoriPhoenixDownTennee
  • SisyphusSisyphus Silver Member Posts: 1,094

Squats can be intimidating once the weight starts getting up there but when you've done 3x5 of something heavy - you'll feel like a freaking bull!!!

PhoenixDownHipster_HickTennee
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963

Down another 5 pounds. Haven't done anything diet-wise yet except cutting out the soft drinks. Thank you all for the free-weight tips, I'm still a little hesitant about doing deadlifts and squats, but I'm starting light and working on my form first (a la the stronglifts plan).

Awesome!  YouTube is your friend here for videos on proper form.  You'll like lifting.  I first wandered into the free-weight area at the gym a year ago.   Didn't know what I was doing.  Now, I get 'hey Bro, spot me' and everyone knows my name.  I get pissed if I miss a day of lifting, so I'll do it at midnight or O'Dark-Thirty if I have to.  Lean muscle just melts fat.  Plus, its a great outlet for frustration/anger, etc.  

Kickin' job my man!

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    UnBetaMecdddd
  • Adam_SAdam_S Queenslander!Silver Member Posts: 1,893

Down another 5 pounds. Haven't done anything diet-wise yet except cutting out the soft drinks. Thank you all for the free-weight tips, I'm still a little hesitant about doing deadlifts and squats, but I'm starting light and working on my form first (a la the stronglifts plan).

Cutting out soft drinks in an excellent idea. Here's how much sugar is in a soft drink:

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

PhoenixDown
  • UnBetaMeUnBetaMe Through The GatesMember Posts: 1,211
    How are the barbell lifts coming along? 

• EdgeEdge FloridaSilver Member Posts: 158
    I gave up all machines months ago (after nearly 30+ years "working out").  I think my #1 thing has been giving up the gym and buying a free weight set for my garage.  That way (a) I can groan and growl when I work out, (b) I can do stuff between sets during a rest (e.g. one set, 3 minutes of dishes, one set...), (c) I can experiment and practice things like squats without the fear of looking stupid, (d) I don't have to wait in line or worry about my weights, (e) I can jam out to music I like without worrying about headphones.  Oh, and (e) my wife can see me lifting weights!  

I'm going to be posting some selfie pics in a few weeks as promised.  

(Intermittent fasting has been great for me, too, and I"m already pretty lean.  I can only imagine how hard it would be to stay fat with the diet I've been doing --- 16 hours of zero calories, 8 hours of "feeding" times, mostly in two large meals).  leangains.com  

My MAP Favorite Books: MMSLP by Athol Kay, Bigger Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews, The Rational Male by Rollo Tomassi, Alcohol Lied to Me by Craig Beck, The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene, Awakening to the Sacred by Lama Surya Das

• BourneAgainBourneAgain Gold Men Zen Garden Posts: 1,660

@August_West, a question re. dropping lbs rather than lifting - do you drink much alcohol?

I was amazed how many calories I was consuming in beer. Approx 1 bottle of strong craft beer a night for a week was equivalent to almost a day's calorie intake for me. My body fat shrank as soon as I stopped the beer.

YMMV but it worked for me.

"Keep practicing the behaviors you want to reinforce. You will gradually change the wiring in your brain." - Serenity

"The universe doesn't give you what you ask for with your thoughts; it gives you what you demand with your actions." - Steve Maraboli  (via Rapunzel)

"Choose to enjoy the shit that makes up your life."  - AlphaBelle

Sisyphus
  • August_WestAugust_West New JerseyMember Posts: 127

@UnBetaMe I'm just starting to add real weight into the barbell lifts now that I have my form down. Don't think I'm getting stronger/better definition at this point, but I've dropped another 7 pounds.

@BourneAgain I do drink, but I have kept my consumption down since starting the MAP - haven't been intoxicated in almost two months, only drink on Fridays and Saturdays, and keep most of my drinking to bourbon/whiskey served neat.

I have started implementing diet/portion control as part of my weight loss, and it seems like the rate of loss is accelerating. I am using the LoseIt app, it is amazing how easy it is to cut your calories and reduce the portion of calories from fat/carbs when you can look up everything you're eating. Already look great and feel better, my clothes are already becoming baggy on me, but I have 55 more lbs to go before I reach my goal and go see a tailor.

PhoenixDownUnBetaMeBourneAgain[Deleted User]
  • UnBetaMeUnBetaMe Through The GatesMember Posts: 1,211

@August_West‌ You're always getting stronger! That's the beauty of being a novice lifter and on a linear progression program (Starting Strength/Stronglifts). you get to add weight to the bar every time you go into the gym. Self motivational!  Keep at it, Man. It becomes addicting... a good addiction. 

• BourneAgainBourneAgain Gold Men Zen Garden Posts: 1,660

@August_West - that's some awesome progress right there. :smile: 

"Keep practicing the behaviors you want to reinforce. You will gradually change the wiring in your brain." - Serenity

"The universe doesn't give you what you ask for with your thoughts; it gives you what you demand with your actions." - Steve Maraboli  (via Rapunzel)

"Choose to enjoy the shit that makes up your life."  - AlphaBelle

[Deleted User]
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458

This site has a muscle/exercise directory (and much else besides, including workout templates, various calculators):