On Parlaying Duty Sex...

Comments

• codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    @Athol_Kay I can't see much benefit of the video over the audio and ripping them into audio means that I can listen whilst I drive, mow the lawn, go for a walk - all things that I can't do with a video. It's also a smaller download.
    Personally I'm an avid reader, but I know a lot of people who won't read a book that will watch a video instead. That's why Hollywood does so well ;)
    HildaCorners
  • RedPillRonRedPillRon New York CityGold Men Posts: 642
    Athol_Kay said:
    MiddleMan said:
    I've bought the videos, but it's tough finding the time alone to watch them. My best time is when I'm commuting on the train, but Vimeo's iPad app isn't very good. I often experience trouble viewing the videos I downloaded. 

It been interesting to Jen and myself that most people seem to be listening to the videos as a de facto audio audiobook.
    Guilty as charged! I had a bear of a time watching the videos without streaming them. Downloading them to view later was a waste of time on the iPhone. Re recording them into audio worked way better.
    Triage Posted here

• Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    @Athol_Kay I can't see much benefit of the video over the audio and ripping them into audio means that I can listen whilst I drive, mow the lawn, go for a walk - all things that I can't do with a video. It's also a smaller download.
    Personally I'm an avid reader, but I know a lot of people who won't read a book that will watch a video instead. That's why Hollywood does so well ;)

The biggest issue with an audio book, is that it has to be an audio book.

Even if each part of the video series was a short 40,000 word book. The entire thing would be twice as long as the Primer, which was huge.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

• codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    edited August 2015
    Athol_Kay said:

Even if each part of the video series was a short 40,000 word book. The entire thing would be twice as long as the Primer, which was huge.

I honestly think that if you had an option (on Vimeo) as audio only (of the videos) you'd be surprised at how much it would be downloaded. Even as another option like video quality e.g. HD/SD/Audio. The only thing that I'd ask is to trim the silence from the beginning and end of the sections where the captions are.
    I don't think that it needs to be a book and a whole new thing, just make the existing content a little more flexible.
    It's your thing so do what you want, just offering feedback on what works for me. In the meantime it'll keep me going until you write the book :grin: 
    MiddleMan
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
    edited August 2015
    That's how Ron and I have been 'watching' the videos. He listens to them on his phone in the car on his way to work (for the most part), and I listen/watch them on the phone while I'm outside or moving around the house.

Sometimes we'll watch a part of an episode together in the evenings, but we have very little free time, so most of the time we use them as audiobooks. 

Athol_Kay said:
    MiddleMan said:
    I've bought the videos, but it's tough finding the time alone to watch them. My best time is when I'm commuting on the train, but Vimeo's iPad app isn't very good. I often experience trouble viewing the videos I downloaded. 

It been interesting to Jen and myself that most people seem to be listening to the videos as a de facto audio audiobook.

Angeline
  • BlackwulfBlackwulf Leading the pack. Silver Member Posts: 1,782
    I am another one who has just listened to them on my commute to work.  Good private time to listen and think.   
    Angelineshibari
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I do have the time. I'll also do something else while watching the videos. And I took copious notes on some of the videos (the 6 brands of ... ones).

If I'm doing something else, I'll lose my focus on the words. That's why I took notes ,,, the act of writing down the "lecture" cemented the ideas in my brain. Taking notes is how I learn best. [For material like this — for other material I have to actually make the product I'm reading/watching about.]

The best way for me to learn would be an action-based workbook, but this would be far too much additional work for Athol right now. So I take the material as presented, and stretch my brain to learn in that style.

I downloaded the videos because I know I'll need to watch them again. And again.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    Athol_Kay said:

I honestly think that if you had an option (on Vimeo) as audio only (of the videos) you'd be surprised at how much it would be downloaded. Even as another option like video quality e.g. HD/SD/Audio. The only thing that I'd ask is to trim the silence from the beginning and end of the sections where the captions are.
    I don't think that it needs to be a book and a whole new thing, just make the existing content a little more flexible.
    It's your thing so do what you want, just offering feedback on what works for me. In the meantime it'll keep me going until you write the book :grin: 
    It needs to be a  "book" per Amazon and Apple.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

Angelinecodename_duchess
  • ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542
    I tend to play it on my computer while I go about housework.  
    Speak your truth. 
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    What was this thread about again?

[Same time again tomorrow works for me btw ...]
    Off-topic every one of them. I dare you. 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    TenneeAngelineamblrgirlPersephone
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    @RebuildingHusband ;  Don't think it didn't cross my evil mind....

what was that about poking the bear again?  :D
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    Angelineamblrgirl
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    Ms_Fit said:
    My H also listens in the car. We see it more like a 'podcast' than an 'audiobook'. 

That's what I was thinking.  I subscribe to a couple of pay podcasts and didn't know if that was a feasible option.
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    What was this thread about again?

[Same time again tomorrow works for me btw ...]
    Off-topic every one of them. I dare you. 
    That's a great depiction of the difference between Manosphere 'alpha' and Athol's spin on it. 

Be a little snarky, but don't be a dick about it. 
  • MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
    Athol_Kay said:
    MiddleMan said:

I'll have to figure out how to do that. 
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    +1 for audio book format ... long commute here
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================
  • IrishGypsyIrishGypsy UKSilver Member Posts: 407
    edited August 2
    I know this is a year-old bump, but I've had a few lightbulb moments reading through all 11 pages and it's topics like this that I feel can really improve things (such as recognising and appreciating yellow/blue sex for what it is - rather than for what it isn't). So I really appreciate the insights.  :#

Oh, and back on topic - audio books would help me too (not so easy to watch the videos whilst my wife is around)! 
    TenneeAngeline
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    edited August 2
    Lol @ you guys - yellow, blue, orange. Subsection 1a. 

Red. Yellow. Green. That's it. The rest needlessly complicates a very simple tool. 

http://marriedmansexlife.com/2013/09/the-red-yellow-green-sexual-communication-tool/

A careful read of the first few paragraphs covers many of the questions in this thread, and correct many of the misinterpretations.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
  • IrishGypsyIrishGypsy UKSilver Member Posts: 407
    @Angeline it wasn't so much the traffic light system, more the appreciation of my wife being open to satisfy me with maintaince sex and that I should always make the most of it (as we've thankfully never, ever had 'cadaver/starfish sex).
    TenneeAngelineShepardUnBetaMe