13 year old daughter tells me she has a boyfriend, wants to go to the movies.

Comments

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    edited August 2014

meet at 15, marry at 17-18, sure. But I'm talking about stunting the knowledge you'd gain from just having fun with a group of friends, and lowering the heat and potential for taking young love too seriously by limiting the isolation/ escalation cycle.

"Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    WinterIceManScarletForest
  • PersephonePersephone Northeast USSilver Member Posts: 565
    edited August 2014

This whole concept is so alien to me but, taking what y'all are saying into consideration, I would imagine it would depend on both the child in question and the surrounding cultural climate.

So, hypothesis:

If you're raising religious kids in a marry-young, date-for-marriage kinda place, hold off on dating until they're closer to 'legal'.

If you're raising kids in a moral-but-not-religious style in a date-til-you're-35-and-perhaps-marry kinda place, let them date, but only in pg/ family friendly venues.

I'm looking for a general rule here. I'm not around young people often and I don't have kids. 

@_io,  A lot of your last paragraph seems child-specific. Kids mature at different rates especially if you don't factor for environment, ie city kids vs rural. Numerical age doesn't tell the whole story. There are grown people still acting like 15 y.o.'s and actual 15 y.o.'s more mature than some mothers of three. Eta: I thought you were supposed to go to a GYN after your first period, ie, 15-ish, give or take... no?

HildaCorners
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    edited August 2014

The fact that there are 15 year olds more mature than mothers of 3 says terrible things about the mothers, not good things about the 15 year olds. It's actually pretty solid science that brains are plastic and impulse control is not quite baked until the early to mid-20's. The fact that so many people paired off for life younger than that in previous generations is more due to lack of options and a society that rigidly enforced it than that they matured early. We've maybe swung too far in the other direction now by coddling young adults, but I think encouraging 13-14 year olds to play act as mini-adults in our highly sexualized culture is a mistake, one that they pay for with thier lives.

"Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    WinterRorschachRicoScarlet
  • _io_io Silver Member Posts: 1,821
    edited August 2014

_io  A lot of your last paragraph seems child-specific. Kids mature at different rates especially if you don't factor for environment, ie city kids vs rural. Numerical age doesn't tell the whole story. There are grown people still acting like 15 y.o.'s and actual 15 y.o.'s more mature than some mothers of three. Eta: I thought you were supposed to go to a GYN after your first period, ie, 15-ish, give or take... no?

An OB check is not a GYN check.  OB is specifically obstetrics.

Numerical age makes a difference.  I know some very mature girls with good heads on their shoulders.  But they're still girls.  They're still children.  Their job is to learn, but at age-appropriate levels.

You don't teach fifth grade math concepts to a first grader.  It isn't only that a 6-year-old hasn't learned the more basic concepts first.  A 6-year-old's brain doesn't work that way.  They're still in rote memorization mode.  It's how they learn at that age.  The human brain isn't done when you're born.  It keeps developing through the entire childhood and into young adulthood.  A 13-year-old's brain is not ready to handle the hormones, decisions, and judgments required to be dating.  How can it hurt to wait three more years?  

AngelineRorschachScarlet
  • thisisjenthisisjen Silver Member Posts: 1,164

At thirteen they should have different things to spend time on besides dating.....school ,sports, learning life skills like coming , doing laundry, having fun exploring hobbies,   or just spending time daydreaming.

AngelineRorschach
  • PersephonePersephone Northeast USSilver Member Posts: 565

Angeline said:

The fact that there are 15 year olds more mature than mothers of 3 says terrible things about the mothers, not good things about the 15 year olds. It's actually pretty solid science that brains are plastic and impulse control is not quite baked until the early to mid-20's. The fact that so many people paired off for life younger than that in previous generations is more due to lack of options and a society that rigidly enforced it than that they matured early. We've maybe swung too far in the other direction now by coddling young adults, but I think encouraging 13-14 year olds to play act as mini-adults in our highly sexualized culture is a mistake, one that they pay for with thier lives.

@angeline, That's super-dramatic, though. How is going to the movies play acting as a mini-adult? Boys and girls 'play house' too, should we discourage that as well? The ability to communicate with the opposite sex is a skill that many adults lack (as we see here everyday). Should society address that before or after folks start pairing off and making babies?

@iceman, Awesome that you let her go, even better that you like the kid.

Protip: my mom was kinda strict compared to other moms, but she was confident that she raised me well enough to not act a fool in the street, lol. Instead, she'd let me go to whatever age-appropriate venue and then just randomly pop in to check on me. Like 'Where's Waldo' in fluffy house shoes and an overcoat. lol! This continued well into my 20's, btw. :'(  It was corny, but I always felt like I had an angel on my shoulder (both protecting me and keeping an eye on my activities ;) ).

JellyBeanLouise[Deleted User]
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited October 2014
    @IceMan,
    had to think of your thread when I listened to this oldie today:

(The video is from one of Adriano's best known movies, it's got nothing to do with the song)

WHERE DO YOU HAVE THAT DRESS FROM
    HOW IMPRESSIVE
    TO SEE YOU WEARING IT
    IF YOUR MOTHER SEES YOU
    WE'LL GET INTO TROUBLE TONIGHT
    IT'S WEIRD BUT IT'S REALLY YOU
    14 YEARS OLD OR A LITTLE OLDER
    YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED WITH YOUR BARBIE ANYMORE
    FOR SOME TIME NOW
    AND YOUR WALK
    IS THAT OF A LADY NOW

PHONE CALLS ARE ALWAYS A SECRET
    HOW MANY THINGS IN A SIGLE BREATH
    AND I WOULD LIKE TO ASK WHO IT IS
    BUT I KNOW THAT YOU'RE EMBARASSED
    THE DOOR IS CLOSED UNPROPERLY
    IN THE MIRROR YOU DO THE TRICK
    AND YOU PUSH UP YOU BREASTS
    AND SOON YOU'LL GO OUT AT NIGHT
    IT'S THOSE NIGHTS I WON'T GET ANY SLEEP.

AND SO TIME GOES BY
    AND YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE A LITTLE GIRL ANYMORE
    YOU ARE GETTING OLDER
    I HAVEN'T REALISED THAT BEFORE
    AND SO TIME GOES BY
    BETEWEEN DREAMS AND WORRIES
    STOCKINGS HAVE ALREADY REPLACED
    THE SOCKS

BECOMING A WOMAN IS MORE THAN NATURAL
    BUT A DAUGHTER
    IS A SPECIAL THING
    YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND
    YOU'VE ALREADY
    CRIED A FEW TIMES FOR HIM
    THE SHORT SKIRT AND THE
    MATURITY IN SOME OF YOUR GESTURES
    AND SOON YOU'LL GO OUT AT NIGHT
    I WON'T SLEEP THOSE NIGHTS

AND SO TIME GOES BY
    AND YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE A LITTLE GIRL ANYMORE
    YOU ARE GETTING OLDER
    I HAVEN'T REALISED IT BEFORE
    AND SO TIME GOES BY
    BETEWEEN DREAMS AND WORRIES
    STOCKINGS HAVE ALREADY REPLACED
    THE SOCKS

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    Hell no.

There is only one thing stronger than an Alpha male. That's an Alpha dad...
  • C8H11NO2plusplusC8H11NO2plusplus USSilver Member Posts: 161
    To all of you who have said "no way not alone, but with friends is fine," my question is do you really think those friends of theirs are going to prevent them from isolating themselves? If anything the teenagers I've known would be encouraging them.
    TungstenCarbidePhoenixDownKatt
  • Mr_BrownMr_Brown east coastSilver Member Posts: 3,636
    I'm on the other side of the coin here and as a dad of a 12 yo boy, with a "gf" he's just not responsible enough to go anywhere without supervision. 

I am very concerned with the thoughts of his "gf"'s parents as well, I don't want him to end up looking down the barrel of a shotgun! 

Mostly it's going to events high school football games and fairs and such. I figure I can't stop it and I want to be involved to guide him to make good decisions.
    Been an uphill battle, both ways, in three feet of snow, with newspapers for shoes, but I'm a better man for it!
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I'm in the "let them date" camp. And I'm the mom of teens.

Most of the 13 year olds I know are well aware they're too young to get into anything serious. The boys are at the "I like a girl, so I tease her like one of the guys" stage, the girls still think dating and romance is like Barbies, only they get to do it too. None of them are trying to find a dark corner somewhere so they can start notching their belt.

I know it's different in other places ... I remember hearing when I was 14 that one girl my age would go downtown and chat up servicemen, and another walked into a garage full of guys offering to give blow jobs. So you need to understand the local culture.

In my social circle, teens often claim to be bisexual (and do some very, very light experimenting, as in heavy hand holding) until 17 or 18. By the logic of some here, that means the kids should never go out in pairs with anyone!

If my kids wanted to date at that age, I'd be fine with it, but, as @Monkeys_Uncle‌ said, keep to G-rated activities with parents nearby. Afternoon movies, apple picking, a mall trip ... no isolation or location bouncing (unless it's back home for a family meal).

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • VayshVaysh OHMember Posts: 35
    Only chiming in here to say that it really depends on where you live regarding kids and sex.  When I was 12/13 a lot of my peers were already sexually active (finger, oral, and vaginal intercourse).  Sex was very much a late Elementary/early Junior High thing.   A little caution isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Mr_BrownIceManLiquidSound
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    I read this with some interest, as while my daughter is only 8, the time will come soon enough.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "date". DW and I are in agreement that there will be no "dating" until 16 (I initially said 40, but compromised... ;). But we consider "dating" to mean they go out without our supervision, like to a movie or something. I agree it's fine to have "boyfriends" before 16, if that means said young man can spend time with DD with our or his parents' supervision. I agree that this is important for her socialization, etc. And, of course, it will depend on the young man.
  • ForestForest Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2014
    I see no need for a child of 13 to be alone with a boy- even in a theater where plenty of touching and kissing can go on unnoticed. I think I will follow in the footsteps of my in-laws... When their daughter turned 16 she was able to start dating, but dating meant going over to the other's family's home to bake cakes and play video games, going on a group outing to the movies with friends or going to church on Sunday with each other's families. 

When I was 15 my husband and I went to the movies to meet one of his friends (his friend was 16). He decided to meet his date there too, a young 15 year old who wasn't old enough to date by herself so she had her friend come along. During half of the movie, the couple disappeared. As we were leaving, I saw his friend walking up to the theater with dirty jeans. Turns out they had gone behind one of the nearby businesses and had sex in the grass. 

It just depends on how you want to raise your children. Do you want them to court or date? I think at 13 crushes should be kept to the school halls and seeing them at football games. I don't think there's a need to make it more serious to the child than necessary. I feel it might lead to them becoming too comfortable with dating while they're teens (I mean they will already have 3 years of dating experience by the time they're 16) which could lead to them becoming sexually active at a younger age since they won't be as nervous as a 16 year old who is just beginning to date. 

magentagrowingafamily
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    Yeah I admit my first thought when seeing the update about 13 y/o in a theater with the guy and dad in a different movie, was "instigate.. check. isolate.. check..."
    ForestEANx