Alfa and "acts of service" love language

AlexZAlexZ MoscowSilver Member Posts: 164

I've read "Five love languages" book and it seems like my wife's primarily love language is "acts of services". I don't mind washing the dishes or cleaning the floor, but it all is a beta stuff. And I'm training myself to be the captain.  

Is it even possible to mix some alpha-captaining into the acts of services love language? What could it possibly be? Do chores wearing apron alone? )

Captain in training

My triage  My MAP

Comments

• judyjudyjudyjudy UKGold Women Posts: 904

H shows and receives love via acts of service.

He does stuff like:

Picks up frozen yogurt for me on his way home from work 

Will go pick up 'collection only' items I bought on ebay

Does the driving when we go out because he knows I hate driving

Picks up groceries we need for dinner; he'll ask before he leaves work if I need anything

Makes dessert without asking, plans it himself.

AlexZOlddog
  • AlexZAlexZ MoscowSilver Member Posts: 164

Wow, that was fast and insightful. Thanks a lot.

Doing chores from "I'll not tolerate mess in my house" point of view sounds exactly like what I need.

We are both dog-persons so Alfa-sandwiches might work too. I'll give it a shot :)

Captain in training

My triage  My MAP

[Deleted User]AngelineSerenity
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963

Both of you should take the Love Language 30 question quiz.  You can find and print it from the website.   I just recently coerced encouraged W to do this, I did it too.   She was Acts followed immediately by Quality Time, which means she's 'bi-lingual' LL.  Looking at her selections was interesting,  you will glean good info from what she selected and what she did not select.  For instance, many of her Acts selections dealt with time constraints or stresssors, not the general 'do things for me' type. I found that eye opening.  That coupled with QT was revealing.

And Ditto to everything above about the Captain doing what needs to be done.  As for 'apron only' attire while doing a chore one day......hmmmmmmmmmm....

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    AngelineOlddog
  • sixstringsixstring Member Posts: 357

This is what my covert contract was for years. Saying to myself, "Doesn't she even notice all the stuff I've done??" Then building resentment.

I still do it because it needs to be done and I no longer think in those terms.

Great thread!

CartB4HorseOlddog
  • soa2005soa2005 United statesSilver Member Posts: 631

My wife's language is also "acts of service". At first it was tough because she is an old fashioned perfectionist who thinks housework is completely her job because I pay the bills. When I know she's had a tough week or seems frazzled I will tell her to stop what's she's doing and go do something for herself ( pedicure, lunch with a friend, walk around the mall window shopping etc..). While she's gone ill do the jobs I deem necessary.

TenneeAngelineOlddog
  • AlexZAlexZ MoscowSilver Member Posts: 164
    Tennee said:

Both of you should take the Love Language 30 question quiz. 

It would be terrific, but I don't know how to make my wife do it. Right now we are living as a roommates, her hamster thinking she is done with me (you are great, but we are just too different persons, bla bla bla - that sort of stuff). The overall tone changed from "let's get a divorce" to "I don't know, where we will be after a while", though.

I doubt she will do anything voluntarily to fix our relationship, even such small thing as a simple quiz. She thinks more like relationship just happen, not being build. And I have no Idea, how to ask her, without looking like her orbiter of displaying LV in other ways.

Well, I could drug her with Truth serum, but it would cause some legal and logistical complications :) Is there any way to have her do the quiz in my circumstances?     

Captain in training

My triage  My MAP

• CartB4HorseCartB4Horse Southwest USASilver Member Posts: 4,155

I've been in the same boat.  Wife wouldn't take a quiz.  I had to figure it out, and when I did I realized she's an "Acts of Service" type lady.  Look around MMSL, you will find some posts on how to figure it out.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

• pu1pj1tt3rspu1pj1tt3rs TexasSilver Member Posts: 78
    My wife's love language is primarily Acts of Service and secondarily gift giving. Acts of service is the most inconvenient love language for a woman to have and fit into the MMSL/alpha worldview. That's not to say it can't be done and you can't be alpha (suggestions above are all good), but I find that even when I make her feel loved through an act of service, it isn't generally turning her on. Another way to say that, is that it's the most beta of love languages and even when framed properly will not score alpha points.

Whereas it's easier to be alpha with touch, or with quality time, or gift giving. In fact, I have more success with her response to gift giving that I usually try to alpha up those moments and am content with the beta that comes out of my acts of service. It almost requires more alpha across the board when you're not commuting one of these acts - which is no problem if you make this realization.

this is all in my particular experience with my particular wife. Curious if other wives out there get an act of service (let's use @TheWolf‌ example of dishes) and actually get turned on. Not with my wife - she'll smile and say thanks honey.
    CartB4Horse[Deleted User]
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509

I'd say there are plenty of alpha acts of service. Start with learning how to sharpen knives and move on to automobile maintenance on her car, even if it's nothing more than knowing how much time/how many miles things need to be done and taking it in then. When was the last time you took the air registers off and looked for excess dust or mold in the vents? Cleaned the gutters? The list is as endless as a honey-do list. The best part is that you don't have to wait for her to suggest things, acts of service people give credit retroactively. If you thought of it and took care of it before they had a chance to worry, you get bonus points. The key is ensuring she knows what you're doing without it seeming like you're looking for approval.

[Deleted User]CartB4HorseNowISee
  • OlddogOlddog CanadaSilver Member Posts: 743
    edited August 2014
    My wife's love language is primarily Acts of Service and secondarily gift giving. Acts of service is the most inconvenient love language for a woman to have and fit into the MMSL/alpha worldview. That's not to say it can't be done and you can't be alpha (suggestions above are all good), but I find that even when I make her feel loved through an act of service, it isn't generally turning her on. Another way to say that, is that it's the most beta of love languages and even when framed properly will not score alpha points.

Whereas it's easier to be alpha with touch, or with quality time, or gift giving. In fact, I have more success with her response to gift giving that I usually try to alpha up those moments and am content with the beta that comes out of my acts of service. It almost requires more alpha across the board when you're not commuting one of these acts - which is no problem if you make this realization.

this is all in my particular experience with my particular wife. Curious if other wives out there get an act of service (let's use @TheWolf‌ example of dishes) and actually get turned on. Not with my wife - she'll smile and say thanks honey.
    When are you doing them? I'm an acts of service/quality time girl :)

For example, SO brings me coffee in the morning in bed, (rare occasion, mind you). I never ask and he's already displayed sufficient alpha... It just hits all my buttons.

Daily chores do not qualify as an act of service (but it does hit my quality-time bucket if we do them together. So will a stress-free grocery shopping trip together with a stop for coffee/lunch.)

Act of service to me says someone's being paying enough attention to make MY life just a little bit nicer/easier. So taking care of the automobiles works, but not dishes (ask me how long it's been since my last oil change :) ).

Take note if she says "at some point we need to/should think about 'X'..."

"STOP.THAT." - Tennee
    "So it seems to me, that you can in fact, you can teach an old dog new tricks" - Jamie Hyneman
    "So that's like a foursome every time you guys get it on!  - Monkeys_Uncle h/t Katherine Kelly
    AlexZ[Deleted User]
    Damn, just realized an "act of service" I've been passing on.  One of our dog's goes potty on the patio.  I keep asking DD to pick it up, clean it up but she doesn't keep up with it. I could just knock it out (I like a clean back patio) and gain a few points.

I'll knock that out tonight when I get home.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

Not sure about that.  It bugs me, no one else is doing it.  I don't want to be chore boy which makes things difficult.  Alpha up but still do AOS's?

• TPokeTPoke OklahomaSilver Member Posts: 711

Remember as Athol said the love languages are "nothing but a baby soft Beta".  He further goes on to point out that it's right on point and it's an excellent way to limit your beta to what is effective, but still it's not going to make you more attractive, it's going to build relationship comfort. 

I would add since it's self reported it can also be rife with error. I actually found this place after a couple of failures with these lame my favorite beta languages tests. 

http://marriedmansexlife.com/2011/06/the-five-beta-love-languages/

FlyingDutchmanAngelineAlexZ