Dirndls for everyone!

Comments

• BetaGeekBetaGeek Bringing the good betaSilver Member Posts: 1,530
    Maria said:
    @Crashaxe,
    stylish outfit!
    Just be very careful how you tie your apron.
    Depending on where the bow is you announce whether you are single, spoken for, widowed or - a virgin.
    Can't you be more than one of these?
    It's good beta.
    AngelineOlddog
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    @BetaGeek said:
    Maria said:
    @Crashaxe,
    stylish outfit!
    Just be very careful how you tie your apron.
    Depending on where the bow is you announce whether you are single, spoken for, widowed or - a virgin.
    Can't you be more than one of these?
    Not when it comes to how you wear your dirndl bow, no.

Bow on the left: Open for grabs ;)
    Bow on the right: Taken
    Bow in front: Virgin
    Bow on the back: Widow. Or waitress, lol.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    PurpleBetaGeekOlddog
    shibari said:
    Well, the question where a virgin open for grabs should place the bow is puzzling - to the non-initiated :wink: 
    Or virgin / taken. 
    It's good beta.
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Or a widow (divorcee) open for grabs

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    edited September 2014
    Just wanted to say, many moons ago I was in Munich during Oktoberfest, so I stopped over to the fairgrounds and wandered around soaking up the atmosphere.

It was so much like Toronto's CNE festival.

There were a lot of young couples on dates and families with kids, going on rides and playing games at booths to win stuffed animals and other prizes. Just like Toronto's exhibition.

The funny thing was, there wasn't a whole lot of Dirndl wearing going on.  There were a few women in dirndl behind the counters at the attractions, and in the food places.  All the girls out on dates, though were wearing fancy casual, I guess you would call it. Designer jeans or nice skirts you could go on a ride in.

The one thing that was different was, a lot of the guys were wearing farmer hats, as well as farmer-style suspenders on their pants and a few guys were even wearing lederhosen.

Fortunately the place I went into served regular sized beers. I don't think I could actually drink a whole monster mug like some of the places serve there.

Hey @Maria, is there more dirndl wearing by regular folks at the festivals in Austria?

(Maybe I should have got myself a farmer hat, thinking back on it. They would be pretty good in the sun o:) )
    edited September 2014
    @SMan said:

Hey @Maria, is there more dirndl wearing by regular folks at the festivals in Austria?

I'll take pics at the upcoming Vienna Wies'n then you can see for yourself ;)
    AngelineSMancdddd
  • RapunzelRapunzel Very High TowerSilver Member Posts: 1,503
    You're killing me. I am going to Oktoberfest. I was (notice I said was) saving for some nice, tall brown boots. I couldn't spring for the really nice, authentic ones but I bought both of these and will decide which I like best after I try them on. :smile:

Gingham
    Yellow

The yellow is my favorite without seeing them in person.

When the going gets tough apply lipstick.

The universe doesn't give you what you ask for with your thoughts; it gives you what you demand with your actions. ~ Steve Maraboli

WinterMaria
    @Rapunzel,
    cute dirndls! I especially love the gingham one and I think it will look fantastic on you.
    Rapunzel
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    those two links are the first time I think I've ever seen a dirndl bow NOT in back...
    edited September 2014
    @growingafamily,
    when I was a child dirndls were worn mostly by older women and little girls, mainly on Sundays or festive occasions - at least in Eastern Austria. Both wore the bow tied in the back.

In the last couple of years dirndls have become increasingly popular among younger girls and women - exactly the demographic that is interested in broadcasting their availability (or the opposite). The dirndl hype re-discovered the traditional playful bow code. It's not an invention of these last years; older relatives of mine confessed to having used it to flirt at country fairs and so.

In Western Austria (they love tradition there) I can't recall having ever seen the bow tied in the back on young girls and women.
    shibari
  • SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    And just in case anyone was wondering what Salma Hayek looks like in a dirndl . . .

Note that her bow is on the left. I wonder if she knew the code and tied it that way, or if the backstage stylists did it?
    Maria
    @SMan,
    95% of Oktoberfest visitors were in full tribals. Okay, fancy interpretations rather than  the traditional stuff.

Couple of impressions:

CrashaxeBetaGeek
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    Went out last night for our local Oktoberfest for the first time in 30 years.  Meetup group organized it.  Had a blast!!  One woman kept commenting that she never realized I was so fun!!!  I think it was because I danced with pretty much every woman there at least once and even taught a couple of obvious first-time out-of-towners how to polka.

Back on topic, it's the rare woman who can't rock a dirndl.  They are VERY sexy.  Although there's something about lederhosen on a woman...they are leather, after all. :heart_eyes: 

The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
    Crashaxe
    Post more pictures, @Maria‌ (for research purposes).
    It's good beta.
    [Deleted User]