Giving myself a makeover... Any tips?

13»

Comments

• OlddogOlddog CanadaSilver Member Posts: 743
    Sounds like you need to budget for a good tailor then?
    "STOP.THAT." - Tennee
    "So it seems to me, that you can in fact, you can teach an old dog new tricks" - Jamie Hyneman
    "So that's like a foursome every time you guys get it on!  - Monkeys_Uncle h/t Katherine Kelly
  • ForestForest Member Posts: 66
    @Olddog I have one, I just have to get used to tailoring every garment if I really want a properly fitting wardrobe (normally I only tailor for special occasions or to hem pants).
    Olddog
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501

michael_kors_brown_carla_platform_sandals_[M]20009672.jpeg
    300 x 300 - 44K
    3812_184_detail.jpeg
    404 x 450 - 32K
    img-thing.jpeg
    300 x 300 - 16K
    cole-haan-liana-mid-pump-ii-patent-leather-mid-heel-pump-brown-pumps-138533-1.jpeg
    635 x 407 - 81K
    il_340x270.617477249_fxgy.jpeg
    340 x 270 - 23K
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    Olddog
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I have a set of color cards for my graphic arts work, but I'd need a correlation to the colors used in the color typing. None of the standard season-based palettes seem to match what I think of as my best colors.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • HopeAndHardWorkHopeAndHardWork USASilver Member Posts: 577
    edited October 2014
    Forest said:
    @HopeAndHardWork I want to say your post was helpful, but it really just confused me more haha! I think the color cards would be really helpful to help ensure I chose the right season (especially if people are helping me), but I wasn't expecting it to cost $48. Although, if you do your family and friends, the cost makes sense. I'm going to look around and see if I can get the cards for a lower price though... amazing idea, thank you so much!

I bought an orange dress (posted above) because of all this reading I've been doing about color analysis thanks to you. I hope I was right about my season!
    Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you.  You can get a set of cards for 6 seasons of your choice (as opposed to buying all 12 seasons) for $24.  So if you already have your season narrowed down a bit, you can get the six season set to try and determine your season at home.  That's why I was linking a couple of blog posts that help you narrow down your season, so you wouldn't have to buy the big $48 set of cards.  Here's the link for the cards, just scroll further down the page to see the smaller (cheaper) set.
    "Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography."   -Robert Byrne
    "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones"  -Helena Rubenstein
    "Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and fifty percent what people think you've got."   -Sophia Loren
  • HopeAndHardWorkHopeAndHardWork USASilver Member Posts: 577
    I have a set of color cards for my graphic arts work, but I'd need a correlation to the colors used in the color typing. None of the standard season-based palettes seem to match what I think of as my best colors.
    You might want to think in more general terms rather than looking at each season's palette and trying to picture yourself wearing them.  Figuring out if your skin tone looks better in cooler or warmer tones, or if you look better in brighter colors or more soft, muted colors.  Think about any colors that you get compliments on when you wear them.  What do they have in common?  Are they lighter or darker?  Are they really rich and warm?  Keep asking a lot of questions about the things that make you look really good and eventually you'll start to see common themes emerge.

I do understand about not seeming to really resonate with a certain color palette.  I looked at the Bright Winter palette and thought mint green, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that, all my best colors are reds, blues, pinks, and purples.  But I couldn't deny the fact that every time I wore a very bright, saturated color that was more cool than warm, I got lots of compliments from family, friends, and total strangers.  

Yesterday I tried on a very light, sparkly mint green dress.  I would never have pulled it off of the rack but it matched up with one of the colors on my little Bright Winter color fan that I keep in my purse.  And to my total astonishment, I looked incredible in that dress!  My skin practically glowed it looked so healthy, and I couldn't stop staring at myself in the mirror.  

The more I learn about what really flatters my skin and makes me look vibrantly alive, the more I realize that I was limiting myself with my old "safe" colors.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  Those tried and true colors that you always reach for when you're browsing a rack of clothes at the store because you know they'll work for you.  

I'm feeling better about venturing outside of my comfort zone now, because I understand the underlying principle of what flatters me.  If I'd looked at that Bright Winter palette and refused to wear anything other than the colors that I was used to, I would never have found out that I can rock weird-to-me colors like mint green, salmon pink, and bright light yellow.  It's been an adventure.  Looking younger and healthier sure hasn't hurt, either!
    "Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography."   -Robert Byrne
    "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones"  -Helena Rubenstein
    "Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and fifty percent what people think you've got."   -Sophia Loren
    ScarletOlddogHildaCorners
  • ForestForest Member Posts: 66
    @Angeline I love those shoes! I was thinking cognac would be the best color as well. I received the dress today and it's beautiful- it's very vibrant and envelopes my curves nicely. The dress is kind of short though, so I think a lower wedge or even flats would be the most flattering. Looking up cognac flats now...
    AngelineOlddogHopeAndHardWork
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    My mother wound up sewing her own clothes to get a good fit.
    HildaCorners
  • NickiNicki LondonMember Posts: 2
    I'm late to the party, but this is such an interesting post, how did the makeover go Forest? Did you end up having a colour analysis or do the colour cards? I've had my colours done (at chromology) and so far my tanning hasn't really affected what clothes can I wear in terms of colours from my palette. I tend to wear a slightly warmer range of colours when I'm more tanned and a different shade of foundation, but generally it's been okay. Would love to hear where you've ended up with your colours though!
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    @Nicky, you can click on the member's name and see the last date they were active on their profile. @Forest hasn't been active since the time she made this post.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net