Lots of great sex, but not sure how to respond to this.

Comments

• dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963

He says: "...some of the best sex of my life."

You: "Mine too."

• growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    How about this, he asks if you're rewarding him like a dog, you say "naw it just turns me on when you XYZ, and then I gotta get me some of that."  So basically reinforcing the changes/effort/whatever he's doing but also stressing that the sex is something that you WANT and not something you're just giving him for being a good husband.
    Forest
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    Yeah, keep it brief like : "I can't help it"  :)
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    Forest
  • PrezPrez Member Posts: 471
    Forest said:
    I just want him to know that when he acts the way he's been acting lately (not being fazed by my emotional storms and handling/reassuring me like a pro,

I just found this part of the post interesting.  I realize this is an important part of a relationship, just from the perspective of keeping my own sanity as a man.  My wife can get moody during PMS, and I see how important it is for me to be somewhat unaffected by her moods, while still being empathetic and all that good stuff. 

How does it look when you have an emotional storm and your husband is unfazed?  How did he react before?  How does it make you feel when your husband doesn't get sucked into the emotional storm compared to before? 
  • ForestForest Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2014
    @Prez Normally when I was coming to him to hash out a problem he would respond in one of two ways-

1st: He would dismiss my problems as me being over-emotional, PMSing, just being moody, etc. (he wouldn't actually say that) and essentially blow me off. He would listen, sure, but I could tell he wasn't hearing me. He would say, "Oh no don't worry it'll be fine..." and that led to me feeling emotionally disconnected which led to infrequent and bad sex.

2nd: He would listen and take my issue seriously, but he would begin to plead with me. I would go to him with something that was bothering me for a long time and calmly state how big of a problem it was. He'd panic when he would realize I was being serious and would get visibly distressed, hold on to my arms in a begging way pleading, "Baby LISTEN to me! I promise it'll be OKAY!" which would absolutely turn me off and I'd pull away from him and all the drama.

He had been dismissing me for several months when I recently told him I think we should separate. He began to panic and respond with option #2 but I pulled away from his hands and said, "Don't. I hate it when you do that." Surprisingly, he stopped the begging motions and stayed calm and let me vent to him. He stayed caring throughout, actually heard what I was saying and apologized for his behavior, asked more questions about how I was feeling, reassured me we'd be fine, and told me he wasn't going to act that way again. So far, he has held true to his word.

It really impressed me that he was able to comfort me while keeping himself calm. It was like he was my rock. Sometimes I'm just being emotional, and sometimes it's a legitimate problem. I want him to be unfazed (calm) when I'm like this and have him help lead me back to a state of calmness and cool reassurance. It feels very manly to me when he's able to do that. (Just to point out that I'm talking about when I'm struggling with something, not when I'm just being a princess). - Don't play along when she does this.
    Husband3point0
  • never_surrendernever_surrender Silver Member Posts: 176
    Forest said:
    I kept reading on here about 'rewarding good behavior' so I thought by talking about it it would reinforce it even more, but now I just feel like that was dumb. 
    I think what we are saying is,  when he commented how great things are going, we don't want to hear it as a reward but just say, "you are a freaking hunk and you just turn me on, you are awesome in bed,  I love being with you" kind of things. 
    Forest
  • LoisLaneLovesBatmanLoisLaneLovesBatman USASilver Member Posts: 84
    Intermittent rewards are the most reinforcing. (Strong reward, no reward, weak reward, etc. random pattern) ...   Decoupling sex from reward is good advice. So sometimes it's profuse THANK YOU...WITH BIG FAT KISSES and sometimes it's just an enthusiastic peck on the cheek and a big smile and thank you... you know mix it up ...  I don't think any man in the history of the world has ever thought divorce while getting an enthusiastic BJ from his wife. Keep it up --- sounds like you have a happy marriage to last a lifetime. You picked the right guy. Good job!
  • KatherineKellyKatherineKelly SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2014
    @Forest I think it is easier for women to understand how sex makes them feel vulnerable simply from the experience of being women but what we are not likely to see is how sex makes men feel vulnerable but in different ways from a woman.

If I had not joined this forum I don't think I would have ever learned this. Needless to say it has been really eye opening. Men spend a great deal of their time and energy hiding this vulnerability from women.

Your husband showed this vulnerabiltiy when he asked you if you are rewarding him with sex.

At it's core I think men want the woman in their life to want them sexually as much as they want them.

They want her to respond to their sexuality and they don't trust a woman who can hold her sexuality outside herself because not only does that mean she can use sex to manipulate them with it, it also  "may"  mean that she does not desire them with the same intensity they desire her with.

It is natural to want to be wanted as much as you "want"

The dilemma for women is we need men to act a certain way to create our "hot response"

Our core problem is how to have men turn us on without turning us off but we live between a rock and a hard place because what turns our sexuality on could turn us off as a challenge to our humanity.

We need to be intimately "fucked" unless we fear intimacy. Women who fear intimacy appraoch sex more like men in that they do not need intimacy to the same degree as other women.

They have an emotional hardness or distance so are not vulnerable to male sexuality to the same degree other woman are.

It is how each sex is touched emotionally by the other sex that makes sex wonderful or horrible.

The challange for a woman is to be aware of how sex makes her husband vulnerable but without letting him know it or using it against him.

She must be sensitive to his fear of her because of his sexuality without allowing him to know she senses (understands) his fear as how sex "makes him feel vulnerable"

In my opinion this is the key to understanding men and they are very good at not allowing you to understand this unless you listen between the lines for the deeper meaning in their words.

Masculinity is a paradox that keeps men from communicating clearly because they cannot afford to if they want to remain appearing as men. Women do not have this problem to contend with (as identity) so we can afford to place high emphasis on communication "sometimes"

She must protect him from herself because of the power of sex while also protecting herself  by what she needs from him so that her own sexuality stays alive.

For something so easy to do, sex is  complicated

Anyone can dance but only a few can do it well together.

Believe those who are seeking the truth.  Doubt those who find it.  ~Andre Gide

"If you love someone, set him free; if you have to stalk him, he probably wasn't yours in the first place."

TrumanMiddleManNowISeeLoisLaneLovesBatman
  • TrumanTruman England, UKSilver Member Posts: 98
    Awesomely insightful post! :)
  • SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    Intermittent rewards are the most reinforcing.
    So very true.

This is really important.
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963

@LoisLaneLovesBatman If the BJs are just to keep him around, yes, he could be thinking divorce, although this is not Forest's problem.

edited October 2014
    @ANewHope‌ It was after a period of several months of talks and improvements on both of our parts. This is how our relationship is when we are happy- we have more sex and I don't bitch at him when he spends time with friends and he tells me he's appreciative a lot. We haven't had sex often for months because of our issues and I had a recurring UTI on top of that so that's why it's happening so often now that the issues are under control. Once we settle down it will probably go back to how it normally is when we are happy which is 3-5 times a week. 

Normally neither one of us specifically initiates. Normally what will happen is we'll both start flirting and getting touchy with each other and I'll either stop it from going further or not. Basically he's always doings drive-bys and it's up to me if I feel up to it. Although recently he doesn't really wait for my reaction  :D

After a day break this weekend he tried initiating several times, but I couldn't because I'm feeling a bit irritated down there.  
    [Deleted User]
    edited October 2014
    It turns out I did need a break this weekend. After I woke up the next day after our last time I felt a UTI coming on. We may have had a bit too much fun last week. I'm feeling okay today but might want to give it a few more days to make sure I don't make it worse. Thankfully he was still awesome this weekend and helped me put away the dishes/towels even though he knew sex wasn't on the table. I will make sure hubby is happy tonight in one way or the other before bed though :)
    @446‌ Hahaha. Are most women unable to have sex during their period? I can't during the first two of my heaviest days but after that I'm good to go. That's normally when I'm the most responsive anyway. 
    AngelineWinter
  • SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    Forest said:
    That's normally when I'm the most responsive anyway. 
    Lots of women are very responsive, or even most responsive, during their periods.  A small minority, to be sure, but a significant number.
    edited October 2014
    @SMan That's why I was wondering if most women refuse sex during 'shark week' because I've heard many men here saying that they do.