MissMissy: MAPing and dating and other adventures

Comments

• dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    If you were married, we would tell you to have your father (or his) give him a copy of MMSLP and tell him what he needs to do; which I will offer to do for my daughters, although I don't think they will take me up on it.
    @MissMissy Remembering back to my dating days; I was one of those guys you would have rejected after one date (and that happened to me over half the time). I always appreciated good advice; and remember the women who gave it fondly. So you might tell those guys that they should read MMSLP.
    [Deleted User]
  • MissMissyMissMissy North AmericaSilver Member Posts: 152
    @Joanna said:
    I totally understand the problem of guys not being dominant around you even though you want them to. It's incredibly frustrating. YES! It helps to know I'm not alone.

Good point about the D/s reference being confusing and misleading. I'll make sure not to mention it in those terms. I'm not very subtle so sometimes I tend to say exactly what I am thinking without considering how that will be received. If a guy said that to me, I probably would think of the extremes, too. 

Katt said:

FWIW A thousand years ago when I was dating, the guys I really found myself attracted to were few and far between.

Whew, good to know my experience isn't too atypical.

It's possible you might have to discuss it at some point, but I wouldn't bring it up until you've seen some good raw material in the guy, and seen how he responds to you letting/encouraging him to take the lead. 

I really don't enjoy sex in the absence if some element of sexual dominance from him.  So when we were first married, and he hadnt started to go there yet (he was my first sexual partner) I just thought I wasn't that into sex.   Once he started incorporating some of the dominant stuff (I'm fairly sure it was something he had at least a little previous experience in) the switch went on for me.  Not every sexual session for us is extreme on the sexual dominance scale, but there's pretty much always at least some element of manhandling or other displays of dominance.   And I pretty much require some aspect of that to get going.   Don't worry about that; some of us are just wired that way.

Also good to know! I have very different preferences from the friends that I've talked to about this stuff, so this is especially reassuring. What does this mean for testing sexual compatibility? Do you think that if there is chemistry and attraction otherwise, that initial lackluster sexual experiences can be overlooked? My instinct would be to tell the guy as soon as we start getting sexual, because if that problem can't be overcome, that is a big deal-breaker for me. 

IMO, it's hard to tell much on a first date because we tend to be so guarded and awkward.  I think first dates are usually best as tools to reveal if there is any attraction/chemistry between the two people and to identify if there are any red flags or dealbreakers.  I would say it's a good sign if the guy doesn't have to trip over himself to agree with every little thing you say and better yet if he has it in him to tease you a little (in a lighthearted, good-natured way of course).  

Good points! I'll keep these in mind. Reading the stories here makes me adamant that I pick a good leader with good alpha who I will be wildly attracted to, but I wonder if I have set the standards too high as a precautionary measure...

edited October 2014
    dalef said:
    If you were married, we would tell you to have your father (or his) give him a copy of MMSLP and tell him what he needs to do; which I will offer to do for my daughters, although I don't think they will take me up on it.
    That would be great, except that my dad is not the best role model for a good leader. He has some alpha down but is more of an asshole alpha and is not self-reflective or very open to changing. So he is definitely not open to learning about MMSL. Also, I imagine it would be quite awkward talking about MMSL principles with my dad, unless it was in more of a general sense.

dalef said:
    @MissMissy Remembering back to my dating days; I was one of those guys you would have rejected after one date (and that happened to me over half the time). I always appreciated good advice; and remember the women who gave it fondly. So you might tell those guys that they should read MMSLP.
    I have told a couple of them, but they didn't take it seriously. I once made the grave error of telling one of them about alpha and beta concepts in a way to explain why I wasn't interested. This triggered a conversation where he tried to persuade me that he actually was alpha but I just wasn't seeing it, and then asking me very specifically how he could change in order to be what I wanted in the relationship. I think this stemmed from insecurity which most likely was a contributing factor to the lack of attraction in the first place. So now I don't say why I'm not interested, just that I'm not. It's also a good way for me to practice assertiveness, which is a part of my MAP -- I don't owe anyone an explanation for my actions or decisions.
    AngelineEANx
    Now, moving on to dating. 

I have moved from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset. The former being, not believing that there are many possible suitable matches for a mate out there, and the latter being the opposite.

Online dating:
    I recently signed up for online dating (OK Cupid) and am completely astounded  at how many attractive and high quality guys there are out there! Or at least they give that appearance. And, I am even more astounded at how much attention my profile has gotten in the last 5 days. I have had 1300 likes, and over 100 messages, with about 20 of those messages being from guys that I am actually potentially interested. This has not only exposed me to lots of guys with whom a match may be suitable, but has been really helpful in changing my mindset when it comes to dating. I am also finally internalizing the fact that I am a pretty attractive woman, and a great catch overall. I am estimating my rank as about an 8... possibly higher but I'm  not sure.

So, now is where I would very much appreciate the forum's vast wisdom! I have three dates lined up this weekend and three more next week/weekend.

I've been looking for the following features: masculine face, muscular body, self-motivation and drive, signs of leadership and confidence, positivity, and self-awareness.

I'm excluding guys that give off an air of:
    • "Well I guess I should make a profile because that's what you're supposed to do on this site"
    • "You look so amazing and I would put you first and treat you like a queen because that's what you deserve"
    • "I'm a really laid-back guy and am looking for someone who is assertive and confident"
    • "I'm a douchebag and just want to bang"
    I've also found myself not really seeing much attraction in response to men of certain ethnicities... I am white and based on pictures alone, don't find Indian, Asian, or Middle Eastern men very attractive. Right now I am not sure if that will translate to a lack of in-person attraction, so I'm going out with a couple of ethnic guys to see, then I can know my preferences better.

What I would love feedback on: 
    Rejecting guys. I am terrible at this. I believe it comes from an incomplete internalization of my right to put myself first and to say no without feeling guilty. I am especially bad at this in person. My plan is to have a set of phrases in memory that I can pull from if I have to, and focus more on re-wiring my thought processes with regard to rejection.

Can anyone give some more examples of rejecting phrases? Here are some I have used so far, after saying something nice like "Thanks for messaging me":
    • "I just don't think we make a good match"
    • "I'm just not interested in dating you further"
    • "I don't want to continue seeing you"

It would also be great to hear of any more online dating techniques and what to look for in profiles!

• EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509

Ah, the “fun” of rejections. While you can try and been subtle and some people will get the cue, others won’t and some will need a 2x4 before they get it, then will push for “the real reason” so there’s no overall “best” technique.

For anyone you haven’t dated, I wouldn’t bother with a specific rejection. No one likes being rejected and a verbal/written rejection leaves the door open for comments, questions and potential abuse. People not taking the hint and being either insistent or abusive is why so many people prefer to drop off the face of the earth when they’re not interested. I figure I don’t owe someone more until I’ve either dated them more than three times or slept with them. At that point, a polite but direct “You’re a great person but you don’t have what I’m looking for and it would be wrong to lead you on” is about the best I’ve come up with.

Treat everyone with a bit of politeness and respect and draw some pretty firm boundaries. While the attention from attractive people can be pretty heady, don’t lose yourself in it and you’ll be fine.

BenAngeline[Deleted User]DaddyOh
    No is fine as a rejection. However, don't just not show up; that is wrong ( I once drove 3 hours one way, talked to her father, and did not even get an apology.) I did like the rejection from the second woman I asked out (you need to grow your hair long).
    Angeline
  • JaaDJaaD Upstate NYSilver Member Posts: 103
    MissMissy said:

Rejecting guys. I am terrible at this
    No answer is an answer.

Frank_London
    Good points @EANx, @dalef‌, and @JaaD. That personal bill of rights that I talked about earlier has been great for helping me realize that I don't owe anyone an explanation and have the right to say no, even if I don't have a particular reason why. I think I will still make a clear rejection even before 3 dates / sleeping together, depending on the situation, but it will just be that simple rejection phrasing that you stated.

I will of course show up to every date I plan for - flakiness and rudeness do not fit with my personal values. But I will either be going with no answer or a simple direct polite one.

Ugh, one thing that I hate is the end-of-date awkwardness. I just had a date with one guy who was nice and entertaining but not enough of his own person, and who is fairly directionless in life right now. I wasn't attracted to him and didn't want to kiss him, so I was awkward at the end of the date when it was time to say goodbye hoping I wouldn't have to awkwardly turn my cheek. 

I'm going to keep in mind that when I meet someone who I *am* really attracted to, that I will *want* to move closer to him and touch him and for him to kiss me, and it won't be awkward.

Any tips for first dates? I've lined up 5 so far this week alone! They're all either coffee or drinks. My main goals for the first date are to assess if there's any chemistry, and to ensure that our lifestyles are compatible. That's it. I find I can get off-topic though and we can ramble on about unimportant stuff for awhile, then I get home and find that I can't really remember what made them special.

[Deleted User]
  • BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651
    MissMissy said:
    Any tips for first dates? I've lined up 5 so far this week alone! They're all either coffee or drinks. My main goals for the first date are to assess if there's any chemistry, and to ensure that our lifestyles are compatible. That's it. I find I can get off-topic though and we can ramble on about unimportant stuff for awhile, then I get home and find that I can't really remember what made them special.

*  You seem very focused on the long-term / big picture in this thread.  There's nothing wrong with that, but remember that on a first date, the only thing you should be worried about judging is whether you want a second date.  Evaluating him as a Captain and "lifestyle compatibility" can wait until later.

*  Try to find one good thing about every guy you meet.  Even if there are obvious red flags and you have to next him right away, it pays to start off in a positive frame of mind.

*  Don't spend too long chatting online before setting up a face-to-face date.  Especially on a free site like OKC, there are lots of "tourists" who are just there "to see what's out there" and aren't really serious about meeting anyone, so it doesn't do to spend too much time and effort just to find out that they're one of those.  Also, it's easy to build up a false sense of intimacy and high expectations when communicating over text, only to find that the chemistry isn't there in person.  If a guy doesn't attempt to move things to a face-to-face venue quickly enough, make a judgment call whether to next him or drop an unsubtle hint ("So when are you going to ask me out already?" tends to work) based on how interested in him you are and how many other/better prospects you have on the hook at the moment.

*  Have a Plan B in case a first date no-shows.  It happens.  If it does, go do something else fun so that the evening doesn't feel wasted.  Go clothes-shopping (window-shopping if you're broke) or to a favorite bar or club to practice spur-of-the-moment in-person flirting or something.

*  Don't waste time on flakes.  If they no-show on a first date or cancel on the day of the date, don't give them a second chance no matter how good the excuse sounds.

---

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    [Deleted User]
    Also, on the topic of rejections: there are guys who will take a rejection gracefully and those who won't, and you have almost no control over which one you'll encounter, so the method of a rejection is ultimately not that important.

Unless you've been dating them for a while and have gone exclusive with them, you don't owe them an "explanation."  Attempting to give one will usually just get you drawn into a conversation of the sort you reference further up the page in which they try to talk you out of the rejection, so I wouldn't bother.

You can, if you like, do a fadeaway in which you don't return calls and answer text or email invitations to another date with a simple "no thank you."  Some guys will take the hint.  Most won't, at which point you'll have to make it clear that you're not just rejecting the proposed date but any future dates with that person.  "I'm sorry, I just don't think we're a good match," is fine.  If the fadeaway doesn't appeal to you, you can of course just skip to that.

---

Angeline
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    My advice on first dates is to not put too much pressure to find out everything on that one date.   IMO first dates are mainly tools to a) see if there is any chemistry/attraction and b) spot any obvious red flags or dealbreakers.   So basically I see them as a way to screen out really obvious non-compatible partners.   So relax and just see if you like the guy well enough to get to know more about him.   It's okay if you don't get down to important stuff on date 1.
    BenEANx

A good idea for a first date might be to meet on neutral ground, going there separately (learned from time in dating service). That way you can leave easily (or do something together if desired).

The guy needing multiple rejections is a guy who hasn't done much dating; for those who have, turning down a second date will probably mean you aren't asked out again. (The one piece of advice I received on dating was to not try more than twice for a first date.)

Oh, and men aren't all that surprised or hurt by not getting a second date, unless you turn nasty (from someone who was turned down many times).
    DaddyOh
    edited November 2014
    dalef said:

A good idea for a first date might be to meet on neutral ground, going there separately (learned from time in dating service). That way you can leave easily (or do something together if desired).

The guy needing multiple rejections is a guy who hasn't done much dating; for those who have, turning down a second date will probably mean you aren't asked out again. (The one piece of advice I received on dating was to not try more than twice for a first date.)

That's pretty standard.  I'd be suspicious of a guy who wants to pick you up for the first date or who wants to have it at your or his place.  At best he's tone-deaf to dating etiquette and safety concerns; at worst, well, I'm sure your imagination can conjure up the worst.

I have a hard time thinking of a situation in which I'd try twice for a first date.  If a woman is interested in me but not in the time or place I suggest, she's capable of saying so.  Otherwise, what do I imagine has changed between the first attempt and the second?

---

After two first dates I definitely understand what you guys (@Ben and @Katt) are saying. I think I *have* been putting too much pressure on the first date. Chemistry/attraction and no red flags/dealbreakers are good things to keep in mind, and simply thinking about if I want another date. Relaxing is key! I've definitely been thinking and analyzing too much.

@Ben I like the finding one positive thing about each guy idea. Starting from a place of positivity is very helpful. I haven't actually had any problem at all with spending too much time messaging before setting up a date, but I have been keeping those things in mind. Your ideas for things to do after a no-show date are helpful! Again, so far so good. 

What you described happening following an explanation of the rejection has been exactly my experience so far, and reminds me of my toxic ex-boyfriend who would verbally manipulate me into doing what he wanted me to do. Now I know better, that I don't ever owe an explanation to anyone, but I can choose to give one if I so choose to.

Re: dating venue @dalef, I have been setting them up so that we always meet at the place separately to avoid that very problem. One guy suggested driving together to a town an hour away for sightseeing there... for a first date. Nope, too much too soon, way too dangerous. Public settings are the way to go.
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    On the first date, women who are looking far in the future (more than 2-3 dates) tend to put out a different vibe than those that are simply looking to see if the guy passes the "does he look like his pictures" test and it's not a good vibe. My goals for a first date tend to be:

Does she look like her pictures?
    Assessing the communication leading up to the date
    Punctuality
    Vibe during the conversation

All of which is designed to determine if I want to see her again, on a "real" date.

If you can, try to always give yourself some time after an activity and before the date to mentally adjust. If you go straight from work to a first coffee date, having a bad day will likely still weigh on you. Giving yourself 30 min in between helps to deliberately adjust from pissed-off work mode to light-&-breezy first-date mode.
    edited November 2014
    I would say that I haven't been looking far ahead to the future, but I am definitely putting too much pressure on the first date. I'm very goal-oriented so not having clear goals going into the first date has been, I believe, the key problem. I feel much better now with the goals being pretty much the four points you stated, @EANx.

Good point about adjusting mentally before the date. Although, I must say, I don't really have a "pissed-off work mode"! My mood is pretty stable, overall cheerful, and I look on the bright side of things. People tell me that I'm always smiling and pleasant to be around, which has been nice to hear.
    Smiling is good (actually had a woman I had dated tell me I needed to smile, took a couple of weeks for my face to stop aching.)
    AngelineMissMissy