Dragging his feet? Or am I just BSC?

anonymousanonymous Silver Member Posts: 64
Probably a weird post for this category but I would like some advice from those who have 'been there done that'.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond!

Background:
My boyfriend and I have been together for 4.5 years. We are both 24. No infidelity or health issues. Sex is 4-5 times per week and I rarely refuse if he initiates. He tells me he feels lucky that I am like that. We did not sleep together the first 2 years of the relationship so he does like spending time with me other than sex lol. First long term relationship for both of us. He has a job and I'm almost done with grad school. Marriage has always been on the table, in fact the first 3 years he used to be the one asking what we were going to name our kids, what age I wanted to get married etc. 

Problem:
 We planned on moving in together a little after the 4 year mark but I saw no evidence of him planning to propose so I asked him where he saw our relationship going in the next few months. He said he wasn't sure so I told him I did not feel comfortable moving in with him unless we concretely planned on getting married. I explained that since I am a woman who wants to have kids I also can't stay in a relationship with someone who is unsure about me after 4 years.  I told him I loved him and wanted to be with him, but that if he still didn't know about me after 4 years maybe we aren't right for each other. I told him to take as much time as he needed but I wasn't going to sit around waiting; until he could make up his mind about the future of our relationship I was going to date other people. 

This lasted 3 days at which point he told me he had figured it out, he wanted to marry me. The caveat was that he wanted the official proposal to be a surprise not "forced". I didn't want him to feel forced, so I agreed to continue the relationship and sign a lease together with the understanding that a proposal would be forthcoming in the near future (because, if I'm going to marry this man I should be able to trust he will keep his word, right?). I told him I only wanted to do it if he was 110% sure, otherwise I wanted to continue with our break. He said he was definitely sure, those 3 days made him realize he didn't want to be without me. I did not give him a deadline but I did tell him it would make me happier if we were engaged either before we moved in together or not long after. We've now been living together for 4 months and it's been 8 months since we got back together/made the compromise and we are still not engaged. I don't bring it up with him because really I don't want to nag someone into proposing. 

On one hand he's never broken a promise to me and I have no reason to think he would start now. The other day we were at a restaurant where another couple got engaged and unprompted he told me not to worry he has a plan. His parents even allude to the fact we'll be engaged soon. But on the other hand it's eating at me that it's been 8 months since our compromise and he still hasn't made it official. 
What's the hold up? I'm trying to be patient but it's hard to find a balance between not pressuring him and maintaining my self-respect.  Ladies have you ever been in a similar situation? What did you do? Men, any idea what my boyfriend's deal is? Am I wasting my time? 

TLDR: I asked my boyfriends of 4.5 years if he planned on proposing soon and he wasn't sure so I dumped him. He quickly changed his mind and said he wants to marry me and a proposal would be forthcoming if I stayed with him. It's been 8 months since, is he just pulling my leg?

Comments

• DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    Reread your TLDR aloud. Now, pretend it's your best friend who's reading it.
    How would you respond?

I'm concerned, that if he chooses to propose you'll always feel it was "forced". 
    "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
    AngelineEANx
  • EightbitEightbit DruidiaGold Men Posts: 2,410
    He probably is simply not ready to be married.  I put pirouette off as long as I could for similar reasons.  I think she feels like she pressured me but I don't see it that way.  Of course she never went nuclear with me she just kept hinting....

To be clear though, you do realize that the way your story reads is that you expected him to propose before you moved in, but didn't tell him that.  Then when it didn't happen you dropped the bomb and broke up.  There's no way now for him to not feel forced or pressured into marriage with you at this point.  Imo anyway.
    Insert witty, insightful signature here.
    DaddyOhMiddleMan
  • ruckusruckus Silver Member Posts: 331
    Eightbit said:

To be clear though, you do realize that the way your story reads is that you expected him to propose before you moved in, but didn't tell him that.  Then when it didn't happen you dropped the bomb and broke up.  There's no way now for him to not feel forced or pressured into marriage with you at this point.  Imo anyway.

Yep, that's because on some level this was a combo loyalty & shit test.  BF passed the loyalty part by coming back and saying he wanted to get married, and did the best he could with the shit test part of making the proposal be on his own terms.  But I question will it ever not be forced, unless you two split again.

Most women nag and hint at wanting the question popped, but there's a big difference between that and demanding a proposal.
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    edited October 2014
    if i had to guess, he is feeling a bit emasculated by your ultimatum and maybe trying to not fall into a completely beta role ... by coming back to you after 3 days, he revealed that he 'cared more' and we all know that the person who 'cares less' has the power in a relationship .... he's trying to salvage his pride by constructing a facade for history that "he surprised you" with the proposal ... he seems a bit juvenile/immature from  your description and seems a risk to really not be the leader of the relationship which are not good long term predictors ... is he likely to try to tie the proposal to a milestone like your graduation or an anniversary or holiday , etc?

on one hand, you just seem a bit uptight and a bit control-freakish instead of just chilling and letting him run his proposal plan ... you say that you have no reason to distrust him, so just relax and trust him ... once you're engaged, it wont matter how it happened or how long it took .. but what WILL matter is the precedent this scenario establishes - it will play out in the wedding planning, the timing of children and a thousand other ways  if not corrected... you will likely be unhappy if you have to drag him along your life together  according to your timetable instead of one that is mutually agreed upon and he leads ... 

but on the other hand, you handled yourself exactly the way i think you should've by being direct with your expectations ... i think you went wrong by moving in with him without the proposal that you stated as your nonnegotiable .... if it gets as far as a year living together, maybe refuse to sign the lease renewal and let him know that he had an entire year and didnt ... in my opinion, that would be cause for you to break off and move on 

but only you know if you think this is a root cause red flag or just some kinda weird blip in an otherwise high quality man

good luck
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    CrashaxePersephoneMark72
  • eightykeightyk USASilver Member Posts: 47
    So if you ignore the whole proposal thing for a moment - when do you think you'll have kids?  Because that's kind of the real question, right?  Maybe that's the timeline you need to discuss.  Do you want to get married then have kids right away?  Wait a few years?  Have your first kid when you're 25?  30?  I realize that's something you can't really plan - you don't know how easy/difficult getting pregnant might be.  But assuming all things go to plan.

I wouldn't be that worried about the proposal at this stage.  Your boyfriend did say he had a plan, so let's hope he does!  Also, his idea of "near future" might be a year or so.
    Frank_London
  • anonymousanonymous Silver Member Posts: 64
    DaddyOh said:
    I'm concerned, that if he chooses to propose you'll always feel it was "forced". 
    Yeah I see what you mean, and I am worried about that too. I'm unsure what a better course of action would be though. I wasn't going to shack up with him without being sure we were on the same page (and we would have to be long distance for the 5th year in a row if not). Nor was I going to dump him without telling him why. I tried to prevent the forced feeling by
    1. telling him to take as much time as he needs and that we can still date each other while he figures it out, just I want to be allowed to date other men as well incase two years from now he decides he doesn't want to marry me and I'm 26 having spent 6 years of my twenties in a dead end relationship. (I didn't write that on the original post but it was long enough lol.)
    2. agreeing to go back in an exclusive relationship and moving in as long as we were on the same page about where our relationship was going, no deadline for him making it official. What I wrote on here about me worrying about it is not known to him, or at least not directly known to him. 

But probably still those things don't completely fix it. Any thoughts on what I should do to alleviate the "forced"?
  • RedPillRonRedPillRon New York CityGold Men Posts: 642
    Maybe he is saving up for a ring?
    Triage Posted here

• SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    he knows you're worried, that's why he said what he said in the restaurant ... don't delude yourself that you are opaque just because you don't tell him you're worried

you have to own the reality that you DID force it  -  well, you can take comfort and just tell yourself that you only 'nudged' it .... but i don't think there's anything wrong with stating your needs/and wants ... you did the very thing that guys always say we want - you didn't expect him to read your mind - you told him in plain english ... choices have consequences

by standing in your truth, you can alleviate the power of the 'forced' ... something only has power over you because it attempts to disrupt the lies you tell yourself ... the bigger picture concerns whether or not you are going to be a ballbuster in every other facet of life ... if he is not enough of a leader for you, then you need to understand that ... maybe you can cultivate the ability to 'let go' or maybe its just in your personality ... i can tell you that a lot of guys find it exhausting to try to lead a woman who is that headstrong and focused and 'timetable' driven ... 

good luck

Sr. PR

sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    Tiberius

Eightbit said:
    He probably is simply not ready to be married.  I put pirouette off as long as I could for similar reasons.  I think she feels like she pressured me but I don't see it that way.  Of course she never went nuclear with me she just kept hinting....

My bad, I was unclear on that: We had been discussing moving in together but it wasn't set in stone. Then he started saying things like "if we break up" which was a big step backwards from what he used to say "I would marry you tomorrow if we weren't in college". So at that time, before we signed a lease, I asked him where he saw our relationship going. He wasn't sure and that's when I said I couldn't continue to be exclusive with him until he made up his mind.

When we broke up we were not living together and had not signed a lease. The only negative repercussion for him from us breaking up was losing our relationship. And not even completely, we could still date eachother if he wanted, just not exclusively.

As for not being ready, that matches up with what he tells me. Says he always knew he wanted to marry me but he feels like he's young (why he didn't say that when I asked his intentions rather than "I'm not sure", I don't know. I would've felt much more secure with that answer). But anyway, 24 isn't that young. We live like we are married. Tells me all the time he is so glad we live together now. Half of his friends are engaged/married. I understand men take longer to be ready to settle down than women but at this point I'm unsure of what more he needs. And as a woman who wants to have children I don't want to put myself in a situation where I spend 5 or 6 years of my twenties with someone who never commits. I figured maybe he needed to sow his wild oats but when I suggested we date other people he didn't take the opportunity! OH, and I told him way back when we got back together I don't care how much the ring costs. Get one from the quarter machine for all I care, it's about the commitment.

As a man who has been there (or anyone else), what is it that makes you feel ready? If he has unmet needs I'm happy to do what I can to meet them but I'm avoiding the topic of marriage altogether right now so I can't ask him lol. 

eightyk said:
    So if you ignore the whole proposal thing for a moment - when do you think you'll have kids?  Because that's kind of the real question, right?  Maybe that's the timeline you need to discuss.  Do you want to get married then have kids right away?  Wait a few years?  Have your first kid when you're 25?  30?  I realize that's something you can't really plan - you don't know how easy/difficult getting pregnant might be.  But assuming all things go to plan.

I wouldn't be that worried about the proposal at this stage.  Your boyfriend did say he had a plan, so let's hope he does!  Also, his idea of "near future" might be a year or so.
    You hit on a good point. In fact, I work at a fertility clinic and that has put the fear of death in me about waiting too long to try to conceive and not being able to have children (def want to be married before kids and not rush into it with anyone be it him or someone else). Probably has something to do with my anxiousness about this whole situation.

He and I have actually discussed this and agreed when we are 28 we will stop using protection. If he ever proposes that is lol. 

It's already been 8 months since the conversation so you are right about the near future thing lol! 

is he likely to try to tie the proposal to a milestone like your graduation or an anniversary or holiday , etc?

I know nothing about when/where/how. I know he wants it to be a surprise so I don't ask questions. But good point, maybe that's what he's doing. 

on one hand, you just seem a bit uptight and a bit control-freakish instead of just chilling and letting him run his proposal plan ... you say that you have no reason to distrust him, so just relax and trust him ... once you're engaged, it wont matter how it happened or how long it took .. but what WILL matter is the precedent this scenario establishes - it will play out in the wedding planning, the timing of children and a thousand other ways  if not corrected... you will likely be unhappy if you have to drag him along your life together  according to your timetable instead of one that is mutually agreed upon and he leads ...

Another good point. I am being unnecessarily uptight about this due to my insecurity from his hesitation at first.  But really if he was unsure he would not have come back lol it would've scared him off. Must.calm.down.

but on the other hand, you handled yourself exactly the way i think you should've by being direct with your expectations ... i think you went wrong by moving in with him without the proposal that you stated as your nonnegotiable .... if it gets as far as a year living together, maybe refuse to sign the lease renewal and let him know that he had an entire year and didnt ... in my opinion, that would be cause for you to break off and move on 
    Not a bad plan. I like it. I'm glad a man approves too. 

but only you know if you think this is a root cause red flag or just some kinda weird blip in an otherwise high quality man

good luck

Thank you!

@Anonymous, You could always ask him.
    @Captain_Hammer‌  Haha, well every day I would like to ask him what his deal is but I'm also trying to lay off the pressure/ give him some space about it and asking that would be pressure to the max. 
  • Captain_HammerCaptain_Hammer Gold Men Posts: 462
    @Anonymous, my wife asked me. Maybe this is a red flag I should have noticed!
    Angelineanonymous
  • TigerTiger SeattleCategory Moderator* Posts: 2,324
    I get the feeling that he's putting together a grand gesture or something that is clearly special as a way to salvage his pride and make it "his thing" rather than your thing.  My gut says that if you remain patient all will turn out fine.

I was that guy in my 20's who was anxious as hell about committing "forever", I whiffed the proposal so badly it's probably a critical moment of neglect.  But I did eventually get there, and knocked her up on our honeymoon so made up for lost time :smile:

In short it took me a while to commit to being all in, but once committed I was in.
    Frank_LondonTiberius[Deleted User]
  • GeekengineerGeekengineer Sandy EggoGold Men Posts: 1,720
    I think I, too, was anxious about commitment.  I haven't stopped being anxious, though, and that's a problem.  It's an important decision, and some guys are very, very slow on the uptake to the fact that they *can* be good husbands to a woman that simply loves them for who they are.  I'm one of those guys, and it sucks being so self-absorbed.  Hopefully he will figure things out (and proposes).

JellyBean is my wife.