Tell me about your IUDs

KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
I'm 36, married 14 years with 2 kids (5.5 and 4) and hubby is 43.   We are theoretically finished having children.   Vasectomy is not an option for Mr. K, and I have 2 friends who had ectopic pregnancies after tubal ligation so I'm not enthused about that option.   I'm currently on BC pills and have only used those, condoms, and withdrawal methods before.  I prefer not to stay on a hormonal method.  So I'm seriously considering the Paraguard copper IUD. I would like to hear how those of you who have used it feel about it.  Did your periods get much worse?   I think I'm most confused about the string checking LOL.  Is it easy to feel?  Thanks in advance for your input. 

Comments

• frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    I got mine in July, and I'm pretty sure I like it.   My period might be a little heavier, and I spot very slightly for 1-2 days before my period, but it's definitely manageable.  

String checking is no biggie- it's like very soft fishing line that pokes out the end of your cervix.  You just have to make sure it's still there.  I'm not sure how you could miss a chunk of metal falling out of your vag- but I still check.

If you've had two kids the insertion is nothing- a little mild cramping, but not a big deal.
    Katt
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    I love my copper IUD and wish I had gotten it earlier!
    The first couple of periods after I got it were heavier, then they went back to normal.
    No string checking for me. My ob-gyn cut it so it doesn't poke out. He checks it via ultrasound twice a year.
    The insertion was a bit unpleasant, but not painful for me.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    Katt
  • HowlAtTheMoonHowlAtTheMoon Silver Member Posts: 1,183
    I'm curious too about a copper iud. I've heard friends say the string uncomfortably pokes their guy. Like a little wire. Is that all that common?
    Katt
    The strings are generally pretty short- they hang out of the cervix just a little bit, and aren't pokey.  Mine are like very soft fishing line.  

During sex the vagina lengthens, so typically they don't poke H.  He did say that he felt it once, but it hasn't been an issue.  They can trim them shorter if it's an issue.  Mine just left them a little longer so removal will be easier.  She said it can get a bit painful/messy when they have to remove one with very short strings.

The worst part of the insertion is that they have to immobilize your cervix, and that's pinchy.
    Katt
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    W and I have been discussing this topic recently. She's preggo with our (very very likely) last kid and she's starting to accept my suggestion of a non-hormonal BC method as an interim prior to a vas for me. I'll be following this thread intently. 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    edited November 2014
    I love my paraguard. Had a heavier period for a few months, but didn't experience increased cramping like some do. No hormones, and I don't even have to think about it. 

After two pregnancies, the insertion "pain" was pretty much nill.

Katt
  • EmilyEmily Los AngelesSilver Member Posts: 98
    I've never had children, and I forgot to take the "softening" medicine. The NP wanted me to come back, but I knew that I might not be able to. (My insurance was going to end). I had her put it in, and frankly, it was very painful. I came back a few weeks later and she trimmed the stings. My boyfriend doesn't feel it now. 

I did did have heavier periods and greater cramping for four months. But now it is almost normal. Since I got the copper IUD, I feel like I am back to myself. I was using Implanon before, and even though it was a low dose hormone, I still felt a bit off. I had a few times where I'd be crying, and I knew the reason was bullshit, but I still couldn't help it. 
    PersephoneKattAngelineShepard
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    I appreciate all of your insight.  While random internet reading is good for the stats, there are also so many wacky POVs that i preferred to get some input from Internet stranger friends rather than relying on Internet stranger strangers ;)

I don't mind having heavier periods and/or a little extra cramping, especially if it levels off after a while.  I am also not particularly worried about the insertion pain; my short term pain tolerance is pretty good.   I don't have as many side effects on the low estrogen pill I am on now as I did with the regular ones before we had kids, but I am noticing a few things like not orgasming as easily and I do miss ovulation... I just prefer not to be on synthetic hormones even if they aren't causing me obvious problems.   

I will probably go ahead and call my gyno next week to set up an appt to talk about it.  Thanks y'all.
  • DorothyDorothy Not in Kansas anymoreSilver Member Posts: 5
    I finally know what it takes to get me out of "read only" status for the past 2.5 years to "commenting" status... My love for my IUD!
    I have had the Mirena since 2002. I tried BC pills one shirt time and I knew it wasn't for me.  I could not stand the side effects of the heahaches, leg veins and even more emotional roller coasters than i had as a teenager...so after our last child I researched IUDs and decided to go for it!
    The Mirena lasts for 5 years which means I am on my third consecutive one and I would not change a single thing.
    the insertion is mildly painful for a few minutes followed by a day of cramping. However, I do not mind that short lived discomfort b/c my birth control is taken care of and after the first couple of months if the first IUD I no longer have a menstrual cycle. That's right ladies... No periods :) I have very light spotting for 1 day a couple if times a year and that is it. I even noticed that I am less prone to emotional reactions that i used to have associated with PMS and feel more even keeled all the way around.
    So far the biggest draw back for me is having to wait two weeks for intercourse after an insertion.. I am in my early forties and have had the highest drive of my life the last 5 years so that is the worst part for me ;) 
    As far as how it works, I think I still ovulate, I just don't produce a lining for implantation to occur. 
    On the flip side and to give a balanced and honest review, a rare chance of a dislodged IUD happened to my sister 6 years ago & caused her some problems and required surgical removal. She has a tilted cervix. . . But her husband is a Dr and it makes for good dinner party conversation in their circle.lol
  • KheldarKheldar IndianaSilver Member Posts: 1,565
    My wife enjoyed her Mirena, but it subtly helped kill our sex life. The hormones nerfed her libido, but, since it got inserted during the infant period and before the toddler years, it wasn't regarded as a potentially significant culprit until much later -- sleeplessness, being "touched out," etc. were more likely candidates. 

Because it did its damage so subtly and because my wife really enjoyed not having periods, it took awhile before she was willing to have it removed in order to help with our sex life. We're still undoing the damage it helped cause.

So, anyway, mileage definitely varies on the Mirena experience. 
    KattfrillyfunPurpleMiddleMan
    A friend of mine has a Mirena, and I don't think she's had sex with her H in over a year.  Their lives are pretty hectic, but they're young- and she has no drive.
  • TrumanTruman England, UKSilver Member Posts: 98
    I hope you don't mind a guy chipping in here, but my W is very pleased with the Mirena coil.

She's had it about 6 months now. Previously she was really suffering with heavy flows that went on for days, to the extent that it caused "accidents" at work a couple of times. Also, we were using Condoms/Withdrawal for BC, with all the attendant issues (loss of sensation for me, having to control before putting one on etc.)

A combination of me discovering MMSL and the Mirena means we are now having the best sex of our lives. As predicted by the doc, the flow is now minimal.

NB when first fitted it was not right - it was uncomfortable so she had to go back. Second time round the doc got it just right. Something about the angle of the cervix.
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    Thanks everyone.   I historically find that hormonal BC reduces my sex drive so personally I'm looking at an IUD for the purpose of getting off of a hormonal method.   I have a friend who likes her Mirena, but I'm looking at the Paragard/copper.   
  • BeatriceBeatrice USAGold Women Posts: 1,175

I don't mind having heavier periods and/or a little extra cramping, especially if it levels off after a while.  I am also not particularly worried about the insertion pain; my short term pain tolerance is pretty good.  
    Because of my cholesterol issues, I was never on hormonal birth control - there wasn't a doctor who would prescribe it for me.  I had my first copper IUD inserted while I was in my teens and I never had a problem with them.  It doesn't sound to me like you'll have any problems, either.
    We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  -Joseph Campbell
    Katt
  • RedfordRedford The Great White NorthSilver Member Posts: 679
    I love my Mirena.

The pain was minimal whenit was put in. A few seconds of discomfort. 

It has reduced my very heavy periods to very light once every 3-4 months. 

I have seen no effect on my sex drive at all. 

At first, husband found it distracting when the wires poked his penis in certain positions, but they have since curled up (it's the normal sequence of things) and he rarely ever feels them, now. 
    RebuildingHusband[Deleted User]
    Redford said:
    At first, husband found it distracting when the wires poked his penis in certain positions, but they have since curled up (it's the normal sequence of things) and he rarely ever feels them, now. 
    This is very reassuring news. W had hers trimmed shorter at the follow up and I still feel them. Glad to know that shouldn't be permanent. 
    Redford
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    Mirena is pretty much #1 for reducing libido.  
    My W has not had any negative libido effects from her Mirena.