Tell me about your IUDs

2»

Comments

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    Mirena is going to very, VERY much have a YMMV component to it in terms of its impact. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    Kattredheaded_womanPurpleforestleaf
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    I think a Mirena is going to have a lot less of a damper on your sex life than bleeding heavily for 10 days.
    LadyOrTheTygerforestleaf
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    I had no negative effects from my Mirena.

Didn't lower my drive at all.
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    [Deleted User]
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    @legs I didn't experience any kind of high/low hormone wave on it.  

My weight gain/loss has happened with and without it so I don't feel like it had any negative affect on me at all.
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
  • RedfordRedford The Great White NorthSilver Member Posts: 679
    Same here. No negative effect from my Mirena. 

No effect on libido whatsoever. In fact, our sex life implroved tremendously after the Mirena because I wasn't bleeding like a slaughtered pig for a quarter if each month. My sex drive is the same as it was. 

No effect on my mood. I do get mild mood changes right before my period, but that was always the case. It didn't change after the Mirena. 

My weight has been stable. I can't say that the Mirena has xhanged anything about that. 

I'd say that half of my friends have a Mirena. I know For certain that all of them have a very active sex life. None of us seem to have had a change in our libido. 

I think it's a case-by-case thing and generalization shouldn't be made about Mirena. 
    forestleafLadyOrTheTyger
  • Crash34Crash34 Silver Member Posts: 44
    My wife, who has had the Mirena around 5 months, has had a similar experience. The good thing is she says her orgasm are much more intense, but the better the orgasm she will generally bleed longer and heavier. 
    [Deleted User]
  • Crash34Crash34 Silver Member Posts: 44
    @Legs From what I've read, the theory is that since Mirena acts to thin the uterine lining the heavy contractions associated with orgasm actually sheds the lining creating the period-like sypmtoms. She has a follow-up scheduled with her GYN so we'll see if that could be true.
    [Deleted User]
  • memorialmed91memorialmed91 East coastMember Posts: 6
    I have had the Paraguard (copper) for 4 years. It's nice not having to worry about taking the pill and overall the insertion wasn't that bad. I hear its easier for women who have had vaginal deliveries but I've never been pregnant. The down sides are that my FI can occasionally feel the strings during sex (it's like fishing line), which freaks him out. Also my periods are heavier and last 7-10 days and cramps are 100% worse. I thought I had bad cramps before but these are in my stomach back and even radiate into the soles of my feet. I'll be switching to the Mirena over the summer because I really can't handle the increased flow or cramps anymore. 
    [Deleted User]