A little help here...

BigDaDieselBigDaDiesel MichiganSilver Member Posts: 124
edited November 2014 in 911 Relationship ER
I need advice please.  This morning I came into the bedroom after showering. My wife was in the bed on my phone.  Long story short,  she became irate after reading a convo between my pastor and me.  In it I said I was looking for some counseling cuz I felt like I wanted to leave.  This was some weeks ago mind you.  Anyway in her anger she went through my pictures and started deleting pictures of the two of us. I demanded she give me my phone and tell me what the heck was going on.  She told me she read the texts.  She was upset that I felt that way and that I never shared this feeling with her.  So now despite my heartfelt explanations about how I said that in frustration due to recent arguments, she can't get beyond the statement.  I tried touching her arm during the convo and she snatched away like I was trying to rape her or something. So then she said "I'm going to take that statement and act and plan accordingly.  You should do the same. " Then no more talking.  I git ready for my appointment this morning abs was going to leave without saying anything,  but I asked for a hug.  She looked at me like I was crazy.  But I wanted that departing hug.  They're important.  After much coaxing and finally saying "I've at least earned a hug", she leaned her shoulder in and let me embrace.  She didn't return it tho. I then said "I love you". She responded with "hmph! "  I said it again and then waited for her to reply.  She said "I know.  Hmph!" Then I said "do you love me? " Not looking at me,  she replied "yeah.  You know I do. " I said then "you need to say it." So she said it flippantly with a little chuckle at the end.  At that point I left. 

Knowing my wife,  this is going to drag on indefinitely until she feels like acting right.  Now that I'm an MMSL mapping man,  how do I respond in this situation?  Typically I'd push her for a resolution...to stop being mean and unreasonable.  You know,  NAGGING.  Please advise me. Please.  I'm trying to fight my natural inclination to be angry and bitter. 
"LAZINESS KILLS, AND IT KILLS EXPONENTIALLY!" ~ Cayjominara

Comments

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    You were looking for support from your pastor, not drawing up papers with your attorney. You're trying to make it work, because of course the marriage is not perfect, but not just giving up and leaving, so get over it.

That should be your terse, short statement the next time it comes up, which should be later today if she continues to complain about it.

Some people move through the phases and have a progression of steps, some people have the timetable thrust upon them. 

If your natural inclination is to be angry and bitter, don't be surprised if that is what gets reflected back at you, but someone has to break the pattern. You can choose to be angry, or you can demonstrate that the commitment to the new, awesome you is for real, not just when things are going well.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    BigDaDieselOlddogTennee[Deleted User]
  • BigDaDieselBigDaDiesel MichiganSilver Member Posts: 124
    @Angeline ;
    Thanks for the advice.  I don't think that it'll come up again if history is any indicator.  She will likely just give the child silent treatment and speak to me when it is absolutely necessary.  Like about the kids' needs or something.  Otherwise it's the old cold shoulder and lots of nasty mean looks.  If she happens to say anything it is filled with venom.  

Of course who wants to deal with that?  She is so emotionally driven.  Anything that makes sense or that is reasonable goes out the window in times like these. It's the mountain out of a molehill effect. Anyone else with a clear head would see this as something to discuss and settle.  She will grow it into a monster and run with it.  And I am left suffer the onslaught.  

So to practice OI and staying in frame is a real challenge.  I agree with you that I need to be awesome and stick with that mode. I'm just saying that it is tough because I have to fight back the desire to go at her and challenge her evilness. Like @AlphaZulu‌ said "Dealing with someone who's trying to be pissy is a tough situation." She is the master of PISSY.  I'm just not ready for the ignoring and bitchassedness that will be going on for however long she decides to keep it up. Ugh! 

I'll just keep reading MAP and putting the concepts into practice.  I'm new to this whole thing so I'm having trouble. 

@Tiger‌ Thanks for the candid comments. You are absolutely right. The whole day I've been thinking about how I was DLV. She does have all the power in the relationship and I am orbiting.  That's why I'm reaching out in this manner.  I want the power and control and I'm tired of DLV and orbiting.  On a positive note, I did check her strongly for deleting the pictures.  I told her it was immature and unacceptable. I also told her I wasn't apologising for seeking counsel.   Earlier today we went to a pre-planned marriage workshop. She didn't talk but she was in attendance.  Tonight we had a ballroom dance lesson class.  I was on time and texted her that I expected her to show.  She came late to the class but looked she was going to vomit everytime I touched her during the lesson.  At first I just wanted to walk out because of how she was acting.  But I ignored it and kept dancing.  Afterwards I walked her to the car and she slammed the door in my face when I was talking to her about picking up the kids.  I made a roll down the window gesture and told her that was not cool and that I wouldn't stand for that kind of disrespect.  She said I "should get used to it since you want to leave so bad." I'm confused as to why she'd attend these functions but still keep up the evilness.

Anyway,  please think on it and get back to me.  Like I said, I need to wrest the control of the relationship from her cuz this is killing me being in this position. 
    Stop asking for hugs,
    Stop asking if she loves you.
    Stop trying to have heartfelt talks about it.

Ok. I will.  I'll just let her be and I won't bring it up

These behaviors are basically ground zero for MMSL - they are the first thing that you should get rid of, even under normal circumstances. Right now, in this situation, they are fuel on the fire.

I see that.  You are absolutely correct.  It's not doing anything to help.

You're under pressure and you're reverting to form and natural tendencies; that's understandable but you must resist. You can't talk your way out of this. You can't convince her to forget it and go back to how she was yesterday.

Again,  you are SO on point.  I can't control or manipulate her to act right through trying to engage her in a conversation about it.  It only makes her act more juvenile. 

This is a crisis and you need to respond accordingly.

I'm not sure how to respond accordingly. The only thing I can think of is to ignore it and just walk around in the silence until she is ready to act right. I should just go about s normal routine and try my hardest not to get sucked into her shenanigans. Any other suggestions? 

• Frank_LondonFrank_London in transitSilver Member Posts: 1,853
    Tiger said:

Sometime tomorrow, I would find a time to have a brief discussion along these lines.
    1. You understand that she is hurt by what you expressed to the pastor, but those feelings were real and you believe that trying to work those out with your pastor was a reasonable thing to do.
    Yeah, that's important: own it.
    You've been unhappy. Yes, you have, and you should look her in the eye and tell her it's true. You tried to hide it from her but she knows now, so don't pretend it's not true.

Tiger said:
    2. As a part of that introspection you have come to realize that this marriage is valuable to you and you are committed to doing the work to make it better.
    I'm not sure BigDaDiesel should be too reassuring.
    A bit of dread might be appropriate here. After all, it's not being faked. It's real.

BDD's strategy so far in dealing with this has been reassurance to the max, and wife is pretty much calling bullshit on that. It's time for the pendulum to swing a bit the other way; this is a crisis for her too, and she needs to feel it.

Right now her strategy is to win the staring competition and just wait until he blinks (e.g., asks for a hug). That's worked every time so far. She's turning this from marital problem into "husband did something wrong and he must beg for forgiveness."

I don't know, but this might be BDD's time for issuing a statement of expectations.
    BigDaDiesel
  • OlddogOlddog CanadaSilver Member Posts: 743
    Tiger said:
    Frank,

I'm concerned that he's just starting out.  The Reassurance is to calm her down and give him time to increase his value by running his MAP.

I do not think this is a time for a statement of expectations, that's phase 4, I believe he needs to run the MAP, gain confidence, get to phase 3 and then think about a statement of expectations.  Doing it too early will not go well, IMHO.
    I agree with Tiger.

Reading those texts may have been the first 2x4 to her head that really registered, and she should be given some time to process it.

Beta is not the worst move he can make while he works on his map - I'd say dread would be. That's just going to escalate it IMO.
    "STOP.THAT." - Tennee
    "So it seems to me, that you can in fact, you can teach an old dog new tricks" - Jamie Hyneman
    "So that's like a foursome every time you guys get it on!  - Monkeys_Uncle h/t Katherine Kelly
    Maria
    edited November 2014
    Olddog said:
    I agree with Tiger.

Reading those texts may have been the first 2x4 to her head that really registered, and she should be given some time to process it.

Beta is not the worst move he can make while he works on his map - I'd say dread would be. That's just going to escalate it IMO.
    It's too late to worry about whether dread is a good idea or bad idea.
    Dread's arrived.
    She got dread when she saw the emails.
    BDD is trying to convince her to ignore it, but that strategy doesn't sound like it's working.

There are two separate things going on for BDD.
    1. mapping, a long term project;
    2. the fallout of the wife discovering the messages. That's something he needs to deal with immediately.

BigDaDiesel
    I believe a demand or something like that will just escalate things.  She'll just say I can leave then just to spite me. She's prideful and won't acquiesce,  especially when she is upset. She needs to be in a calmed state to hear reason. 
    Olddog
  • 446446 ArkansasSilver Member Posts: 648
    edited November 2014
    I think the most important thing is that she needs to learn to calm herself. (Self-soothe) It isn't @BigDaDiesel‌ 's job to calm her down.  

She he needs to know that he is committed to the relationship but if she chooses to blow it up that's on her.  She needs to know that he is committed to doing things to build up the  relationship, but if she acts like an ass he will be "consequence ". 

I I think a one hour call to Athol would work well here. Specific strategies for dealing with this desire to punish you. 

Edited for spelling 
    Frank_LondonBigDaDieselDarKeyes
  • AV8orAV8or CanadaSilver Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2014
    I believe a demand or something like that will just escalate things.  She'll just say I can leave then just to spite me. She's prideful and won't acquiesce,  especially when she is upset. She needs to be in a calmed state to hear reason. 
    BDD....

Hearing reason is not what she needs.....

Seeing you act like a man who wants to solve some marital problems is what she needs...

You will get absolutely nowhere trying to reason her into anything.... and don't demand anything... like Tiger says above, you are super early in phase 1...

Do what you need to do
    , and she will notice you being all manly...

I think it is likely a bit of a good sign that she gets upset enough to delete some pictures, as it indicates you may be shaking up the tight control she thinks she has....

How would this have gone..... 

Her... what are these texts with your pastor ?

You... hey babe I probably should have been more open about the pastor thing, but we need some help, as you know, and I am working on that...

Her... starts the deleting....

You... Seriously babe ? (Incredulous tone).... and that's all you say... no more talking.... 

STFU..... OI..... get dressed, carry on with your day.

No asking for hugs or kisses.

No trying for normal or to help her out or to bring her around or 'reason'.....

What IS normal and good, is to be a leader working on fixing things.... what's a few pictures deleted... she doesn't control you...

You are working on being awesome, and she is welcome to join in...... but you're going anyhow...
    BigDaDiesel
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    BigDaDiesel said: Tonight we had a ballroom dance lesson class.  I was on time and texted her that I expected her to show.  She came late to the class but looked she was going to vomit everytime I touched her during the lesson.  At first I just wanted to walk out because of how she was acting.  But I ignored it and kept dancing.  Afterwards I walked her to the car and she slammed the door in my face when I was talking to her about picking up the kids.  I made a roll down the window gesture and told her that was not cool and that I wouldn't stand for that kind of disrespect.  She said I "should get used to it since you want to leave so bad." I'm confused as to why she'd attend these functions but still keep up the evilness.

Because she's found a big damn stick she can beat you with and she's going to keep whacking away with it to see what reaction she'll get.  Just another fitness test.  Her "you should get used to it" statement says it all.
    The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
    TenneeAV8orBigDaDiesel
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited November 2014
    @BigDaDiesel said: Tonight we had a ballroom dance lesson class.  I was on time and texted her that I expected her to show.  She came late to the class but looked she was going to vomit everytime I touched her during the lesson.  At first I just wanted to walk out because of how she was acting.  But I ignored it and kept dancing.  Afterwards I walked her to the car and she slammed the door in my face when I was talking to her about picking up the kids.  I made a roll down the window gesture and told her that was not cool and that I wouldn't stand for that kind of disrespect.  She said I "should get used to it since you want to leave so bad." I'm confused as to why she'd attend these functions but still keep up the evilness.

Because she's found a big damn stick she can beat you with and she's going to keep whacking away with it to see what reaction she'll get.  Just another fitness test.  Her "you should get used to it" statement says it all.
    Yup.  Prepare for more of this, and prepare to handle it.  Two things.  First, clearly, calmly, and matter-of-factly state that you will not tolerate 5-year old behavior - I once told W quite some time ago "We do not slam doors in this house, we do not scream and yell" in much the same tone as I did with Kiddo when she was actually 5.  Every time she wants to go there, shut it down.  Do not stand for that foolishness; you're adults and you'll handle problems in an adult fashion.  Second, as @tiger and @Frank_London‌ said:  you own it.  So own it.  But she doesn't get to whip you with it all the time and forever more.  A certain RedHead (hope you're doing well out there) once taught me this - mistakes I made, things I said, fuck-ups I made - own them.  They are not a tool to acquiesce you to a beating. 

The D word got thrown around way back, early on in my MAP.  I regretted it, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle.  You can likely fix it.    
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    BigDaDieselTungstenCarbide
    edited November 2014
    I am also concerned by her 'punishing' behaviors.

She is punishing you for what she discovered. She did so at the time - deleting all your photos - and has been doing so ever since. She slammed the car door in your face, for example. This is just bullying, plain and simple, and your default response until now has been to placate her.
    It's time to figure out a better way to respond.
    Tiger said:
    Nothing is going to get better until BigDaDiesel starts to run a MAP and can move himself into phase 2 or 3.
    Standing up for himself is mapping.
    Tennee[Deleted User]BigDaDiesel