Please Portray Your Pleasant Pedantry Presently

BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651
edited December 2014 in Off Topic
And always accept alliteration adroitly!

Split off from the Quality Man thread:
I remember the 15 min. discussion I had with a superior, who had a PhD in English, over the proper use of "effect" and "affect".  She was wrong, btw.

Oh, man, this one bugs me every time.  That and complement / compliment.  I once messaged a woman on OKC solely to compliment her on correctly using the word "complement."

Hopefully you were able to effect a change in her word usage and affect her knowledge to positive effect without making it look like an affectation.

---

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
[Deleted User]KattAngelineHappyWifeJoannaHopeAndHardWorkShepardPurpleJellyBeanshibari

Comments

• BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2014
    ^^^

Close.  Usually elements that "complement" contrast each other in some way that puts them both in a good light.  For example, a vagina may not look much like a penis, but it's a great complement to one.

---

Purple
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    A heathy cow is one that jogs. 

A healthful cow is one that's good for making nutritional cheeseburgers. 
    Angeline[Deleted User]Crashaxe
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    Mass versus countable nouns seem to be exceptionally difficult for so many people for reasons I just cannot understand. 

Less milk. Fewer eggs. 

I don't know why that's so hard, but it is. 
    [Deleted User]HildaCornersJellyBean
    It has been shown that although vocabulary and the particular rules of grammar are learned, the basic ability to form thoughts into language is hard-coded into our brains.

Children speak English as though it were a language with consistently-enforced rules instead of a hodgepodge of Germanic and Romance influences.

---

AngelineGuitarGirlJellyBean
    edited December 2014

^^  Ellipses.  Fun fact: an ellipsis is always three dots.  When you see what appears to be an ellipsis with four dots, it's actually an ellipsis (three dots) followed by a period (a fourth dot) to end the sentence.  So… you use three dots within a sentence, but you use four dots to end the sentence….

It is actually its own character, which you can produce on most Windows machines by holding down the Alt key, typing 0 1 3 3, and releasing the Alt key.  Most folks won't bother, though (unless their autocorrect does it for them) and will just represent it by typing out three periods, which is perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned.  If you find yourself using it on Twitter, though, the keyboard shortcut might be handy since every character counts.

^  Agreed.

---

[Deleted User]GuitarGirlJellyBean
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Autocorrect should be fed a good breakfast and shot at dawn.

A friend of mine has demented auto correct software. She once told me of a young person she knew who was studying "gastro-physics". I decided not to ask for an explanation!

I'm peeved when chat-speak seeps into standard English. I don't mind the use of it for effect, but when I'm reading a client's letter and they use "u" instead of "you", I cringe.

Also cringe-worthy is the elimination of prepositions, as "I went the store" or "I ordered Amazon.com."

And then there's always the plural with apostrophe.

Note: I freely admit my posts are full of typos — despite ### years of keyboard use, I can't touch-type and don't always spot the typos before I post.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Avalinette
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    @BoneDaddyJive‌ would love this thread.
    Enneagram type 9w1
    [Deleted User]Angeline
  • SisyphusSisyphus Silver Member Posts: 1,094
    Loose/Lose - enough said.

A particular pet peeve of mine is the use of words that don't exist:

Heighth (that's height with a "th" at the end).  This word is used most commonly by engineers.

Crashaxe
  • ZoroasterZoroaster Silver Member Posts: 735
    I don't, but I see where it comes from. Height, width, depth; it's understandable that someone accustomed to systematic uniformity would expect the "th" to be there.

Except, of course, that we're talking about English. Since when has English been systematic or uniform about ANYTHING?

• Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    A boy says to his father: "What did you bring this book I didn't want to be read to out of up for?"
    JellyBeanSisyphusGuitarGirlPurple
  • Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    edited December 2014
    And here's a little something to brighten your collective day.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003780.html
    JellyBean