Long Time Reader/Lurker.... Divorce or fight, what more can I do?

1235»

Comments

• CartB4HorseCartB4Horse Southwest USASilver Member Posts: 4,155
    I don't recall ever seeing someone handle this as well as you have.  I didn't read any self doubt or overly beta tail chasing.

I had flash backs and went thru hell ten years after my (now Ex) wife's affair.  Work on yourself now so that you don't do the same.

Very well done.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

DaddyOh318JimmyNow
  • Doubting_ThomasDoubting_Thomas United StatesSilver Member Posts: 33
    I settled on the house a couple of weeks ago.  I thought it would be emotionally difficult, but it was largely a relief.  

It’s been 11 months since I found out.  331 days of a nightmare.  I still wake up in disbelief.  Is this my life?  How did I get here?  Why are we not a family?  Going from the happiest I’ve ever been to severe depression in a moment is …well heartbreaking.  

Divorce is hard, especially with a small child.  Having to be friendly to someone you'd rather just not deal with seems to prolong the grieving process.  The friendly times remind you of the good times, and the heart yearns for the good times.

But that reality is gone.  The reality of me truly caring about her, and her thoughts, and her actions, gone.  I want a love that picks me up when I'm down, not one that takes me and throws me into the deepest pit I've ever been in.  If that's the reality of love and marriage, I don't want any part of it.  

My brain isn't able let it go.  It's like my brain's operating system is always running a background program.  system_run(Failed_at_Marriage)  I failed at marriage.  I failed at the person I loved the most.  I still have no idea why she did this...  I tell myself that this is a stepping stone.  I'll get past this and be wiser/stronger.  I have a couple of females who are very eager to 'hang out', but it's already a chore.  I'd rather read and get a good nights sleep.  

Everything I do is a distraction from my life.  Food, Friends, Beer, Sports, Gym, Meditation, Books, Work, Women.  Is life just one big distraction, and then you die?  What am I doing with my life?  

No-one gets 'it.'  Shit, I still don't even get 'it.'  Being stabbed in the back by your best friend.  Where's the lesson in that?
    BettermanEliseltj7708
  • BettermanBetterman United KingdomSilver Member Posts: 659
    Time heals. I know you want to punch me in the face for saying it, but I have been where you are and it's true.

the pain remains for a long long times, but the periods where you aren't thinking about it get longer and longer until it's gone.

cry, lift weights, talk to friends, run.! Look after your kids.  Don't rush to dating, it will happen when it happens.  Don't do the rebound LTR, it's a disaster.

there is no logical "why", there is just messy old life.  Stop looking for the why or you will go crazy.  Same as there are no whys for. Car crash or cancer, you just deal.

feel for you bro.  Manly hugs.
    ENTJ, 8w7
    Don't wish she were different, wish you were better.
    Doubting_ThomasHeidi_Wife
  • WhereWasIWhereWasI USASilver Member Posts: 180
    Sorry for your pain. 
    Looking back she was bored (lack of dopamine ) with adjusting to our lifestyle with a newborn.  I thought she was getting dopamine rushes from the newborn through breastfeeding, and cut her some slack.  I did consider uping the 'alpha' but that didn't feel right.

I did start to "up the beta", and agreed to get a housekeeper, helping more with morning/nighttime routines etc.

Could my game be tighter?  Absolutely.  But I don't see a flaw in my game or self-worth.  If I had a true flaw in either of these categories, we would be in counseling working on our 'relationship.'  I had enough self-worth to leave, and enough game that I have 2 women in my life without much effort. Having game/self-worth are tools to increase outcome independence, and my actions in the past year have proved my OI.  

She doesn't like conflict.  We had the simplest stress free divorce imaginable.  Our marriage was like that too, and I enjoyed it, but thinking about it, there were probably things bubbling under that she wasn't able to say for whatever reason.  I have a tendency to be blunt/harsh, and that could've scared her from revealing her true feelings.  

I've been in drama filled relationships in the past, and they are no fun.  I enjoyed the drama-free one, and it was one of the reasons I married her.  But it was a rouse by deception.  

You are right about the rush but there is a dopamine/breastfeeding connection.  After some quick googling dopamine is inhibited while breastfeeding.  She wasn't getting any dopamine rush, and hence the boredom.  

I still disagree with you on the whole age thing.  You can't see how a 23 year old man would be attracted to a 26 year old woman?  And vice versa.  We met in the gym, both in great shape. From there a relationship blossomed and I found someone I really connected with...

I just don't see it as this big value/ self worth issue.  Attraction is not a choice...
  • crosshatchcrosshatch USSilver Member Posts: 44
    I'm about 6 months behind you in divorce and it will not be simple for me. But instead of telling me he was cheating when we had a 6 month old, he kept his secret life for almost 20 years. Let yourself grieve. The monk stuff has its time and its place.  Give yourself an afternoon to grieve, to cry.

"My brain isn't able let it go.  It's like my brain's operating system is always running a background program.  system_run(Failed_at_Marriage)  I failed at marriage.  I failed at the person I loved the most.  I still have no idea why she did this...  "

You and she failed at your marriage.  What did you bring to it?  What did she bring to it?  When she gutted it, destroyed its very foundation, you wanted to repair. Think about that for a moment.

If she is bored with a newborn she has some serious selfishness issues going on.  My STBXH only engaged with me (or the kids) on his terms, not for their needs.  Took me a long time to figure that out.   

If you look back over your relationship, is that a pattern with you too?

You also mentioned conflict and "I have a tendency to be blunt/harsh, and that could've scared her from revealing her true feelings. "

Her fear is hers to manage. Could you work on how your handle yourself?  Absolutely.  She could have started with feeling uncomfortable sharing her feelings ... you could go to MC, there are couples communications workshops. The thing is there are paths she could follow if she valued herself in being treated well and if she valued treating you well.  It doesn't sound like she was good at either of those.

Sorry it didn't work out.  
    Doubting_Thomas
  • CartB4HorseCartB4Horse Southwest USASilver Member Posts: 4,155
    Run a MAP, improve yourself.

I wondered what had happened after my first wife had an affair and our marriage imploded.  It took me running a MAP and ten years to be able to not only look at my first marriage and figure out what went wrong as well as what to do to ensure it won't happen again.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

• fordsvtfordsvt Canada Eh!Silver Member Posts: 2,300
    4-5 plates.  You Da Man brother.  
    Just take things slow and don't rush into a new heavy relationship.  Go have some fun
    just remember to wear a rain hat.  Haha

Into Phase 3..

Those Who Dare......Win.   "What gives you fear today...Gives you Strength tomorrow.."

CartB4Horse