@Ben: Dating for Dating's Sake

Comments

• BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651
    Note:  A Christmas CAROL, not Story.  Though that would be awesome too.

---

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Angeline
  • Mark72Mark72 OhioSilver Member Posts: 2,007
    Ben said:
    Note:  A Christmas CAROL, not Story.  Though that would be awesome too.

The latter was better. Don't shoot your eye out.

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht Anders tun. Gott hilfe mir. Amen. - Martin Luther
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't. - Pascal

My journey

CrashaxeAngeline
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    Ben said:
    I seem to get a couple "[username] would like to meet you!" messages every day, and a good 90% of them are "looking for a serious relationship" and have something in the text part of their profile about how they're "not interested in playing games," which is fine, except that I specifically list myself as only interested in casual dating / not looking for a relationship right now.  Bitch all I do is play games!  NEXT!
    My profile specifically indicates that I don't want more kids and yet I get interest from women who specifically say they want them. You've stated what you want, if she's your type there's nothing wrong with exploring that; people will do and say things that don't match all the time. The girls you're passing up might be looking to find someone long-term but think that Ben guy could be good for scratching an immediate itch in the short term.
    edited December 2014
    I don't use listing "wants a relationship" as a sole disqualifier; if some 24-year-old hottie came at me and that was her only red flag, well, who the hell actually knows what they want at 24 anyway?  Besides, if you're young and attractive you probably put that just to try to filter out some percentage of the dumbasses who message you with "u r hot lets hookup i would fuck u so rite lol."

These women on PoF all seem to combine it with other factors, though, like being in the just-north-of-30 Biological Clock Danger Zone + wants kids (which means she really should be buckling down and looking for husband material, not getting short-term itches scratched) or including some line about "don't have time for drama" or "just looking for an honest guy" (which I read as "I'm a drama magnet and don't own up to my own part in attracting the wrong kind of guy for me").

If my prospects were to dry up I might give one or two of the more promising ones a shot anyway on the off chance I'm judging too harshly, but my dating schedule is exactly where I want it to be so I don't exactly have much incentive right now.

---

• Mark72Mark72 OhioSilver Member Posts: 2,007
    Try farmersonly or meetme.
    Or not...

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht Anders tun. Gott hilfe mir. Amen. - Martin Luther
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't. - Pascal

My journey

Second date with Ms. Info tonight.  I'm taking her for a light, early dinner, and then to see me and the Shakespeare troupe do the first night of the Christmas Carol reading, which takes place outdoors in a neighborhood that always puts on extravagant Christmas light displays.

I didn't realize that I'd been vague in my invitation until I texted her over lunch to remind her to dress warmly and wear comfortable shoes for the show; she's all, "Oh, you were inviting me to dinner AND to the show?  Jeez, I thought we were just doing dinner and I was all disappointed that I only get to see you for an hour!  I like this plan way better!"

Poor girl, she must have been so confused about why I was demoting her from a three-hour fancy cocktail date to a lame cheap one-hour dinner date!

---

edited December 2014
    Joked in other thread that my newly-polished boots were going to look great tossed in the corner next to my pants.

They did.

Picked her up, dinner went well; local sandwich-and-salad place, quick and cheap but good, healthy food.  Dressed warmly and casually for an evening outdoors, she looked more like my initial assessment of "cute-but-not-OMG-hot" like she looked in her flattering black party dress from the first date.  I did tell her to dress warmly; at least I know she cleans up well.

We get to the show venue early and walk around and look at the Christmas lights and chat for a while.  Then we get back and I put on the show with the rest of the Shakespeare group.  It goes over well; I glance at her during pauses for signs that she's getting bored (it's a long reading; I had it in my head that it was a one-hour thing but it was closer to two) but she seems entertained.

We chat with the other readers for a bit after the show, then get back in the car where I kiss her.  Probably should have just done that at the start of the date, because she says, "I've been waiting all week for that."

I drive her home, we make out some more.  She says something like, "I feel like I'm too short to make out in the car."  I tell her there's an easy solution to that: invite me inside.  She does.

She asks me to put something on the TV while she takes care of her dog.  She also conspicuously closes the door to her bedroom and says that it's embarrassingly messy.  She's mentioned that she keeps wanting to try out Arrow, so I put that on Netflix.  She sits down and we watch maybe thirty seconds before I say, "Well, that was silly, I put on something you actually want to watch when we know we're not going to be watching it."

She laughs, "Yeah, I was wondering why you did that."  We start making out on the couch and the TV show is forgotten for the rest of the evening.

She is very responsive and I can gauge what's doing it for her by the sounds she makes.  It's mostly the same stuff that does it for me: hair-pulling, hand-pinning, breast play.  She says at one point, "kudos for having the balls to go straight for my breasts; most guys grab my ass first."  I slap her ass and say, "your ass is great too."  She smiles and says, "I know."

It's her breasts that are sensitive, though, so I get her topless (and she does the same to me) and we go at it some more.  She stops me from taking off her pants, though.  We make out for a while longer and every once in a while I come back to her pants, at one point slipping my hand down the front and rubbing her, which she responds to.  "You're a terrible man."

I tell her I know.  After some more of that, during a break for breath, I must get a look on my face because she asks, "What's that look?"  I figure honesty is a virtue and do the deep-eye-contact thing and say, "I want to tear your pants off, carry you into your messy bedroom, throw you down on the bed, taste your pussy, and then fuck you."  I laugh a little.  "You know, that look."

She looks a little regretful.  "I really want to let you, but I had a gyno appointment this morning and I'm feeling pretty tender."

We make out some more, then I tell her, "Well, I don't want to, but I've got to leave some time."  She pouts, she doesn't want me to leave.  I don't even get my shirt back on before she's convinced me to stay a while longer.

Long story short-- or, well, long story less long than I could make it if I let myself keep rambling-- I do eventually get her pants off and rub her pussy until she comes on my fingers.  She says, "I want to make you come too" and starts giving me an HJ.

Here's the thing: I've never been very good at just relaxing and letting somebody else see to my pleasure.  I like to be the one in the driver's seat to Pound Town.  And after the first hour of foreplay, my junk tends to give up and decide that I'm not serious about getting off tonight.  Hindsight being 20/20, I need to realize that I'm good with making out as a prelude to sex, or making out for its own sake for three hours straight, but not making out for three hours straight as a prelude to sex.  In any case, it's just not happening tonight.

She asks if there's anything else she can do; I tell her that it feels very good and search for a way to say, "No, not really" in a nice way.  She finishes the sentence, "but you kind of reached a plateau.  That's fine."

We make out for a while longer and then kind of relax half-naked in each other's arms; it's very late by now and we almost doze.  Finally I get up and put my clothes back on.  She expresses regret that she was too sore from her gyno appointment to have sex; I tell her that we'll have plenty of chances.  She seems to like this.  We kiss goodnight and I leave.

---

shibari
    edited December 2014
    Hindsight being 20/20, I sort of wish I hadn't pushed quite so hard to get her pants off; chalk it up to me being sexually deprived lately.  Well, that and the fact that my partner count is relatively low and I'm not quite as confident as I pretend so I like pushing women as far as they'll go just to prove to myself that I can.

I need to recognize that it's okay as a guy to want to go a little slower and get more comfortable instead of pushing for sex right away.  I think I'm pressuring myself as much as her and I need to quit that and learn to just relax.  Not easy to do when you haven't had a really good hard fuck in a while, but something I need to learn.

In any case, she's a sweet girl and I think I'll keep seeing her.  Also got a first date coming up Thursday night, and a girl I knew in high school who seems keen to reconnect on Facebook, not sure if that's just friendly or the fact that my profile reads "single" now.

---

edited December 2014
    Back from my second first date since I became single again.  It was all right.  Conversation was easy, and she's kind of an interesting person.  On paper she hits all my bullet points: smart, classy, well-dressed, great body, no dire hangups that I could detect.  No chemistry though, no real spark or sexual tension.

She seemed kind of surprised when I didn't try to go for a kiss or anything, really, at the end of the night.  I dunno, I'd give her a second date if she wanted one just on the off chance, she was good company, just... in this weirdly platonic way.

Only thing I can point to that I definitely didn't like is that she didn't even pretend to offer to pay her part of the bill or pick up the tip.  I tend to pick very cheap first dates specifically so that I can pay without hardship and it doesn't have to become a source of awkwardness, and this one was cheaper than most because she ordered a non-alcoholic drink (says she doesn't like the taste of alcohol).  If I like a girl enough that I plan to see her again, I'll wave her offer away and tell her she can get the next one unless she absolutely insists.  But it's still nice to get the offer, even if I can tell it's just politeness.  It's just a couple bucks, but still.

---

MissMissy
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    On a first date, especially somewhere cheap, the majority of women who offer to pay wouldn't look favorably on you for accepting their offer. If you're not going to take the offer if presented then why be offended she didn't offer? Is it because she didn't participate in the dance or is it the lack of chemistry? Are you hamstering? ;)
    Katt
    edited December 2014
    ^^  Yeah, I had condoms.

As for the second girl, she certainly wasn't repulsive; by any objective standard she was very attractive.  But there was just zero sexual vibe there.  Most women, if they're even reasonably attractive, I'm imagining kissing them from pretty much Moment 1.  This woman I didn't.  I would've had to consciously force myself to go for the kiss.  Maybe I should've anyway, it's not like I had much to lose, but the phrase "like trying to kiss my sister" comes to mind.

^  Maybe it's just the power of association, but so far, the women I've been most attracted to are the ones who have pushed the hardest to pay part.  Typically if they offer once I'll tell them no, I've got it; if they keep pushing, I'll let them pick up the tip.  And typically they'll also thank me, which this one didn't do.  It IS a dance, but so is all politeness and courtesy.  We do these little rituals because it displays social intelligence and enough respect for the other person to hold up our end of the social contract.

---

• JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    I don't pay for a woman's anything, on a first or second date.  If they want a free meal, there are other chumps for that, and every city has a homeless shelter that gives out free meals.

When I buy a car, I go to many car lots and drive cars to see which one I want, then pay for it. I have never given the salesman $50 for "looking" at what he is offering.

If you take a woman to a nice Italian restaurant and pay for everything, then you are the one that she will call next time she is craving Raviolis. 

If you are looking for a one night stand, and you think you are going to get laid, by all means pay if you want, as long as you are 100% you are gonna get laid.

I'm going to catch flack for this post, lol, but oh well.
    HildaCorners
    @_io

Maybe not, but I at least like the fact that I'm paying to be acknowledged.  It doesn't even have to be an explicit offer to pitch in-- in fact, it probably shouldn't, if the offer isn't really sincere-- but a simple, "You go it?  Thank you," when she sees me pull my wallet out is nice.

And the millennial version, from what I've seen, isn't "pretending" to go Dutch; they expect to actually go Dutch, and are honestly surprised that I offer to pay.  Ms. Info offered to treat me when she asked for a venue change to someplace closer to where she lives, on the theory that since I was paying more in gas and travel time, it was only fair for her to pay more in cash.

Anyway, my general policy is that first dates are my treat, subsequent dates are Dutch unless I explicitly offer to treat in advance (which I'll do if I'm feeling particularly flush or generous, or if she seems particularly broke, like if I were to date a full-time student).  With Ms. Info, I set that expectation early in the first date: as we sat down and were looking at drink menus, I told her, "first round's on me courtesy of my poker buddies; I won last night."  The implication being that me treating is a special occasion; I'm willing to do it without making a big thing out of it, but don't expect it every time.

I think that was probably a good way to handle it, and I think I'll try to make a point of doing something that like in future so that the "man pays or Dutch" negotiation is up-front instead of an awkward surprise when the bill comes.

---

• _io_io Silver Member Posts: 1,821
    Ben said:
    @_io

Maybe not, but I at least like the fact that I'm paying to be acknowledged.  It doesn't even have to be an explicit offer to pitch in-- in fact, it probably shouldn't, if the offer isn't really sincere-- but a simple, "You go it?  Thank you," when she sees me pull my wallet out is nice.
    As long as the people you are going out with are all on the same page about what is the norm in your social millieu, then that's okay.

But I would never say that to a man who was paying the bill.  I would thank him for dinner at the end of the date.
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    edited December 2014
    I think your attraction to her probably has a large influence on whether her offering to pay is significant or not.

A couple of drinks, or an appetizer or meal on a first meet/date, and I'm pulling out my wallet fully intending to pay for my share. But your beer plus my soda? Not so much. Hell it could just be that she doesn't want to pay for half your drink when she had Coke. The no thank you is troublesome, much more than who paid. 
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    BenKattfindingalphaExcelsior
    Angeline said:
    I think your attraction to her probably has a large influence on whether her offering to pay is significant or not.

A couple of drinks, or an appetizer or meal on a first meet/date, and I'm pulling out my wallet fully intending to pay for my share. But your beer plus my soda? Not so much. Hell it could just be that she doesn't want to pay for half your drink when she had Coke. The no thank you is troublesome, much more than who paid. 

Well, I certainly wouldn't expect her to pay half of the total bill and subsidize my more expensive order.

---