Failures Are On a "Need to Know" Basis

KickboxerKickboxer USASilver Member Posts: 1,120
I distinctly think that in order to show high value to society at large you definitely hid many, if not all, of your shortcomings.  Many people on here have lackluster marriages and it doesn't add anything of value to their life to tell everyone they meet about it.  You tell people on this forum because this is all about relationships and your seeking help.  But you don't tell the barber or drinking buddies.

So I taught this to my son recently in an odd way.  He is nine years old and pooped in his pants at school.  It was really embarrassing for him.  That night he had Jiu-Jitsu class while I was training.  When training ended I found him sitting on the bench while the rest of this class was doing the formal martial arts, bow at the end of class.  Turns out he warned the instructor that he thought he might mess up his pants again.  Or maybe he just stank.  They had him sit out of class as a precaution.  He was again embarrassed.

I told him not to worry about it and that there was no need to tell his mother.  I washed his Jiu-Jitsu stuff and he did have a brown streak in his underwear from that night.  

So what is the opinion of the forum?  Is this the type of thing that it's okay not to share with the woman (in this case mom)?  I'm wanting to teach him not to publicize every minor failure.  To me it comes down to teaching him not to be a whiner. 

Comments

• KickboxerKickboxer USASilver Member Posts: 1,120
    @generalzod‌ I agree with big failures these things need to be out in the open to those who are significant in your life.  But there must be some kind of line between "I stubbed my toe" and "the house is in foreclosure".

How do you know when to draw that line?
    Angeline
  • themacnutthemacnut Philadelphia, PASilver Member Posts: 404
    If he's been having bowel incontinence two or three times or more in a short space of time, then yes it's something Mom should be told about, but not otherwise. Best not to risk Mom overreacting and possibly embarrassing the child even more, especially in front of his school peers who will show no mercy.

Athol_Kay said:

In the context of having become a winner though, the stories of the screw ups of the past, make for a great story arc that America seems to eat up with a spoon.

It's like jazz. As long as you finish on the correct note with clear intention, you can play almost any note on the way and it works.

In other words, best not to talk about your failures until and unless you can also talk about how you turned them around into stunning successes. I think that's good rule to follow in general, although sometimes you can't avoid talking about a failure while the turning around part is in progress, or maybe not even started yet; the foreclosure example is a good example there.
    Husband of over a decade, stepfather of 3, creator of the superhero webcomic The Vanguard.
    Frank_London
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    edited January 2015
    I think it is very fair for a father and son to have these moments that stay between them. Mothers don't share their daughters first period, or the buying of bras with the father/husband.
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    They do?! My bad. So you think he should tell his wife?
  • mrsozzymrsozzy texasGold Women Posts: 1,950
    LazyAlpha said:

If the incident was caused by absent mindedly or stupidly trying to hold it past the point of "touching cotton" when he should have just taken a break to go to the bathroom, then probably not something that needs to be shared with his mother.

If the incident was due to some unknown reason that may indicate more serious health issues, then his mother should be informed.

Agree, but it's hard to definitely know the cause. Best to err on the side of caution and tell her, especially with potential medical issues.
    KattPhoenixDownMaria
  • KickboxerKickboxer USASilver Member Posts: 1,120
    The incontinence in this case is not a long running medical issue.  The incident where he seriously soiled his pants happened at school and we were notified.  At the gym he had a minor spot and left the mat embarrassed.  I'm still not sure either way on the policy of telling his mother.  In this case I told him we would keep it between us and I will honor that statement.

In the larger context of "when should I share my failures" I agree with the premise of "only when it directly impacts the party being informed".  Otherwise being awesome means everyone doesn't need to know.  Just like too much bragging about the good is a bad thing so is airing all your dirty laundry.
    Zoroaster
  • fordsvtfordsvt Canada Eh!Silver Member Posts: 2,300
    Being able to admitt an error then learning from it. Then moving forward is DHV. Not holding a grudge when things go bad. We all have failures. All of us. But you maintain frame and composure then carry on. If you can teach this to your kids it will serve them for life in a massive way.

Into Phase 3..

Those Who Dare......Win.   "What gives you fear today...Gives you Strength tomorrow.."

Metamorph
  • ffp20ffp20 upstate nySilver Member Posts: 224
    Jek said:
    I think it is very fair for a father and son to have these moments that stay between them. Mothers don't share their daughters first period, or the buying of bras with the father/husband.
    My daughters told me of their first periods themselves....a little awkward for a dad lol.
    Katt
  • KPPKPP USSilver Member Posts: 111
    A few things from my experiences: When my daughters had their first periods, I heard about it right away and thought we should go out and celebrate. It's a big deal. A threshold. Though they did tell Mom before me.

The poop thing... I had a new employee, second day on the job. He comes to me a few hours before his scheduled lunch and asks if he can take lunch early. The shop was busy and it's his second day so I demurred - until he explained that he had to go to the store and get some new underwear. "I thought it was gas," he shrugged.
    Of course I let him go and it was never mentioned again. I might rib a guy about certain shortcomings, but never about something that causes genuine embarrassment.

Why? When I was a teen, I did something embarassing: just one of those things that I really had no way of knowing on my own and was perfectly reasonable when you considered my thought process. But it made me look stupid. A few days later at a family gathering, I came upon my dad telling my uncles the story and I called him aside and asked him not to share it. He said OK, but I found out later from my brother that he told them after I left. I can't tell you how much harm this caused in my trust for my father. It came out later in an argument my dad and I had and he truly had not realized how big that was to me and apologized. Now, of course, the incident is untroubling, but when I was an insecure teen I looked at it differently.

Final story: I monitor the Internet in my home. There came a time when I found that my son had gone exploring into adult corners of the web. I sat down and talked to him about it, but Mom was not in the loop on it. In the end, he understood where the boundaries were and that if there were any further violations of our household rules, Mom would have to be in the know to help with policing. I never experienced another issue.

As far as how to manage it with your son, I see it in terms of an opportunity to teach him the value of frame. A game of thinking how others might respond given these were public situations and how he should react to them bringing it up - showing OI, agreeing and amplifying, not showing embarassment, laughing it off, knowing how to turn it around in the moment.

"Man! I guess I shouldn't have had that second burrito!" is often a much better response than "I am so embarrassed!" But at 9, unless he's a natural comic, the first reaction might not come to mind. However, learning this stuff should start young. I wish I had known it when I was younger and when my kids were his age - I definitely would have taught them. He might learn a lot just from watching you, but sometimes things need to be spelled out.

As for the "failures are on a need to know basis" aspect, I somewhat agree. I'm not about to go around trumpeting every little shortcoming to my wife. However, anything that has a potential for being an issue that affects the family in an important way, it needs to be up front and full disclosure. In the case with your son, a second occurance may be an indicator of a medical issue and mom should be in the loop on medical stuff. If it were to happen again, you would likely face disclosure of your secretly-washing-his-clothes-and-hiding-the-incident-from-mom. What impact would that have on your wife? Would that be a DLV or DHV?

Secrets, trust, embarassment, DHV, DLV... it can get twisty at times.

"The MAP is forever. Yes, it is exhausting and hard on the soul. But there is no rest for true men." - BeGoodHaveFun

Angeline
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    My oldest daughter had her first period after my wife left for work, so Dad had to rush out and buy pads (Mom got her the right size that evening.
    KPP