Don't spend a dollar until you can do 100 push ups

13»

Comments

• GumbyManGumbyMan Member Posts: 97
    longneck said:
    @GumbyMan I think you misunderstood me. I was talking cumulative totals. I would start with three sets of 10, the 3x15, then 4x15. Working towards the totals.
    that makes more sense... I couldn't imagine doing that many in a day!
  • longnecklongneck Silver Member Posts: 389
    I just did 100 as part of 8 sets in six minutes.....The progress continues, the day after tomorrow I have to do 2 sets of 13, 2 sets of 15, 2 sets of 12, 1 set of ten and 1 set of 30 in six minutes ( 45 second break between sets).
    Is that part of a program or are you one your own plan?
  • fredlessfredless Silver Member Posts: 2,842
    edited September 2012
    I did 100 strict pushups today in 4:45.  I thought I would get done quicker.  My 13-year-old took 5:38.
  • AnonJohnAnonJohn Member Posts: 148
    fredless said:
    I did 100 strict pushups today in 4:45.  I thought I would get done quicker.  My 13-year-old took 5:38.
    what is your standard?

chest to ground?
    elbows in or out? 45 degrees? along the body?

AnonJohn said:
    fredless said:
    what is your standard?

chest to ground?
    elbows in or out? 45 degrees? along the body?

Chest to ground, elbows in, along the body, firm core (no bent back)
    Life_In_Hell
    dayum.  i just did 100 chest to ground, elbows in push ups...took me 11:15.  after the first 50 or so I was on single reps.  sucks.

AnonJohn said:
    dayum.  i just did 100 chest to ground, elbows in push ups...took me 11:15.  after the first 50 or so I was on single reps.  sucks.

I've been doing Crossfit for nine months (4-5x per week) and prior to that I did Supreme 90-day for about six months.  It also helps that I only weigh 165#.  Keep at it, eat well, and progress will come.
    fredless said:
    AnonJohn said:

I've been doing Crossfit for nine months (4-5x per week) and prior to that I did Supreme 90-day for about six months.  It also helps that I only weigh 165#.  Keep at it, eat well, and progress will come.
    ha, yeah i'm 260lbs.  

i've been cross fitting for years and was in shape prior to that, which is part of why i'm disappointed.  but this is a particular set of muscle endurance that i just have never trained.

even when doing high rep push up work in the past it has been partitioned..like with grace: AMRAP 15 squats, 10 push ups, 5 pull ups.

just for kicks i might do this 100 push up thing.

though i'm more interested in getting my deadlift over 450lb (currently 435)

i wonder if i would have been better served doing ten sets of ten instead of what amounted to 1 set of 30, another set of 15, a final set of 5 and then sets of 1 from there on out

AnonJohn said:
    fredless said:
    AnonJohn said:

ha, yeah i'm 260lbs.  

i've been cross fitting for years and was in shape prior to that, which is part of why i'm disappointed.  but this is a particular set of muscle endurance that i just have never trained.

even when doing high rep push up work in the past it has been partitioned..like with grace: AMRAP 15 squats, 10 push ups, 5 pull ups.

just for kicks i might do this 100 push up thing.

though i'm more interested in getting my deadlift over 450lb (currently 435)

I don't know my max deadlift at this point.  Last time I did a 1 rep max was in April--I got 345#.  I'm looking forward to the next time we do 1rep max in deadlift to see where I'm at.
  • MrBurgundyMrBurgundy UKMember Posts: 225
    One of my BIL's did time in Jail for a couple of years and was in amazing shape when he came out. He said they played Push Up Poker, if you lost a hand you had to do twenty.
    So you never play poker with the fat, out-of-shape guy, right?

MaterStellie
  • x1134xx1134x Member Posts: 1,229
    edited October 2012
    Mandrill said:The closer your hands are the more you're going to engage your triceps. Take a look at this link http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/benching-with-the-pecs.html  Even though it's aimed at bench pressing, the concept applies to any chest exercise.

The inner core of your chest contracts, but doesn't really move. Any soreness will be felt where your chest and shoulder meet, or across the entire muscle. The only way to grow your inner chest is to increase the overall thickness of your chest. You can only really target your upper chest and your middle/lower chest, not inner and outer. You can also affect your chest more by having your elbows further from your body during push ups or bench press, but some people complain that it puts too much stress on their shoulders.
    Thanks!  I've been experimenting with different things trying to blast my pecs.  The thing I've found that destroys my chest the most is dumbell bench press.  Having to individually stabilize with no center link between the bells really engages the chest.  Also been doing one arm cable crossovers & dumbbell flys.

As for the pushup stands I use my 20lb neoprene dumbells.  They have ridiculously thick grips, which makes it quite comfortable.
    Most women unwittingly ruin the sex as a reward by being so shitty in bed during the sex, that it becomes a form of punishment rather than a reward. - Athol Kay.
  • Lorewalker_ChoLorewalker_Cho HomeCategory Moderator* Posts: 14
    Bumping
    AngelineScarlet
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    There's always an outlier. And when it comes to push-ups I am that guy.
    100 push-ups? No Prob.

Squatting my weight (165lbs) one rep. That's a problem. Can't even deadlift my weight. Go figure. 
    I'm only 5'8. Burpee's and push-ups (have short arms) are easy. Everything else, I struggle with. 
    I envy some of you guys who can put 250+ on the rack. 
    "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
  • bjornagainbjornagain wilds of ontarioSilver Member Posts: 281
    Dumbell pushups.  Do them using metal dumbells like the square ones. Hold them in each hand and they are on the floor not your palms.

after each ten pull one back to chest to strengthen the quad. slowly.then the other side.

go to 100.

trengthens the wrists and quads.

at gym between each set owwhatever to rest the muscles i go and do 25 incline situpsm keeps heartrate up and by end of average set get 125 situps in. forces me to do them i hate them.  you dont hacge a situp day that way.

also easiest is never ever use hands to get out of a sitting poistion. off the couch out of car. be amazed how often you do it once you notice.
    Angeline
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited January 2015
    @DaddyOh‌ protein, the right recovery time, and good sleep - that's how you gain. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    DaddyOhWheelMan
  • AlphaBelleAlphaBelle In the South, y'all.Gold Women Zen Garden Posts: 1,863
    Dumbell pushups.  Do them using metal dumbells like the square ones. Hold them in each hand and they are on the floor not your palms.

after each ten pull one back to chest to strengthen the quad. slowly.then the other side.

go to 100.

trengthens the wrists and quads.

at gym between each set owwhatever to rest the muscles i go and do 25 incline situpsm keeps heartrate up and by end of average set get 125 situps in. forces me to do them i hate them.  you dont hacge a situp day that way.

also easiest is never ever use hands to get out of a sitting poistion. off the couch out of car. be amazed how often you do it once you notice.
    That's something I noticed in my MIL's therapy sessions after her stroke--they would fuss at her for pulling on things to get up from a chair, and also for *flumping* down when she sat. They taught her to ease herself down gracefully using engaged quads and glutes, and to stand up with minimal help from her upper body. I became conscious of how easy it is to fall into those tiny weak habits. The physical therapist said it was a small thing that could really make a difference to her overall functioning and strength. 
    "We must sail--sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it--but we must sail, and not drift or lie at anchor." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
    TenneeMaterStellieWinterBourneAgain