The new threads thread for Captains

Comments

• HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Zod, I'm aware of the white balance issue, though the original blogger was not.

However, the effect holds true IRL with human eyes and dressing room lighting — either orange or hot pink (a better choice than blue) will make your skin look gray and washed out, or way too red and flushed.

The same test can be done with greens (blue green vs yellow green) ... but a sizable percentage of men are slightly color blind in the green family. Orange and hot pink are not easily confused, while bluish green and yellowish green might be.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    amblrgirl
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    good stuff

Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
  • UnBetaMeUnBetaMe Through The GatesMember Posts: 1,211

Earlier in the thread, I suggested Buffalo Travis-X relaxed fit jeans for those of us with the big booty and thighs. 

I can now say that they are durable and stand up to regular washing and drying. The 1% Spandex in the denim feels very nice and has maintained its form fairly well.

I got another pair for Christmas.

AngelineHildaCorners
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I revised my color analysis blog post a bit to include a better photo (no white balance issues!) and to better explain how to find your best colors.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Ninkasi
  • Like_WaterLike_Water United StatesMember Posts: 167
    Non-iron fabrics are an abomination.
    AngelineUnBetaMe
  • CharlieCharlie Earthquake country Silver Member Posts: 442
    dbl_hoo said:
    For those looking for a good deal on shirts and dress pants:  i recommend Spier & Mackay. The prices are Canadian $, which means you can cut about 25% to get the price in US$. The slim fit shirts works well for me - they fit right in the chest without having extra fabric billowing out at the waist. 

They sometimes have 20% off sales.  This, combined with buying 3 shirts to get the "bundle" discount, but me my shirts for under US$30. 

The shirts are high quality - like Brooks Brothers. 

Note: the fabric is regular (not-non-iron). That will appeal to some (like me) who actually like to iron and aren't fans of non-iron fabrics. 

How is the sizing? I notice on the website you can only specify the collar size, not sleeve length. 
    UnBetaMe
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 471
    Tons of great sales on factory seconds at Allen Edmonds today (<200$).  I'm thinking about one for work. Opinions?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/factory-second-shoes/shoe-factory-seconds/

Tennee
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    My opinion is, I don't ever want to hear any shit about how women pay ridiculous prices for shoes!  :o
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    [Deleted User]BeatriceKatt
  • Like_WaterLike_Water United StatesMember Posts: 167
    @maverick I have really good experience with the "Park Avenue" cap-toe for the office. It's hard to go wrong with just about anything on that page.  And don't be concerned about seconds--I've bought seconds from them before and not been able to find the "flaw."  

@Angeline when a guy pays that much for a pair of shoes, he has a pair that he can have re-soled and wear for 3 decades.  With the shoes I have now I am set for the next 280 years.
    TPoke[Deleted User]
    edited January 15
    @Angeline said:
    My opinion is, I don't ever want to hear any shit about how women pay ridiculous prices for shoes!  :o
    I own one pair for work lol. So I wear them 200 times a year for a couple years.  Huge difference.  Wife has 20 pair of 25-50 dollar shoes, and I would put her below par compared to most women.
    UnBetaMe
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501

@Angeline when a guy pays that much for a pair of shoes, he has a pair that he can have re-soled and wear for 3 decades.  With the shoes I have now I am set for the next 280 years.
    I don't have personal experience with this, never having spent more than $70-80 for shoes, but they say that about high end women's shoes too.

I bought my ex some beautiful hand made (in the UK) shoes 30 years ago and he loved them. He has had them re-soled them 3-4 times. We spent $75, which seemed like a lot, but they were comfortable from the first time he put them on. That was unheard of for him, so I bought them.

We went looking for more, and even then AE's were exorbitant.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    @maverick ;  Dig the cap-toes...
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    maverick[Deleted User]
    @Elise said:
    maverick if you can swing it, it's a really good idea to have two pair in a rotation so you're not wearing the same shoe every day.  If you swap them like that and put good cedar trees in them to let them dry out and rest for a day in between wearings, they can literally last your entire life.

You know what I heard here ... if you have 50 pairs in rotation and only wear them a few times per year, I will ensure that they last my entire life. (Except for concert shoes .. those are just gross after one summer season!!) Thanks for the justification. 
    touche :smiley: 

Elise
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    So what shoes do you wear with a gray suit? Brown? Would these be awful (and if not, which shade of brown)?

http://www.zappos.com/nunn-bush-nelson-wingtip-oxford-brown
    CallmeCat