The new threads thread for Captains

1232425262729»

Comments

• growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    Tennee said:
    @growingafamily ;   It depends first on the shade of gray.  I like a 'cordovan' (aka Oxblood) with darker grays a lot, in fact, that's my go-to with gray.  It needs to be rich and dark, a deep burgundy - the left wingtip in your URL there.  I also do black with dark gray plenty as well.   I do not wear lighter 'tans' with darker gray - personally, I don't think it works. 

Now, if a light-gray, yes, a lighter tan works well.  See this:

More of a charcoal suit gets this:

And for the love of God, no mixing light tan belt with oxblood shoes, or vise-versa.  Makes me nuts.  Oh, and take 10 minutes and polish those babies. 

Ah yes the cherry tone. Problem is he's got super wide, but not that long, feet, so styles are limited. The ones I linked actually come in his size and I was surprised about that.

I'm glad you mentioned black, anyway, because nothing's gonna ship before this saturday and black is about all he's got in dress shoes. But for future reference...
    Tennee
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    @Chief_TC, for a really great item of clothing, you could take them to a tailor and ask them to duplicate it.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    [Deleted User]Elise
  • CrashaxeCrashaxe Partytown, which is wherever I am.Gold Men Posts: 1,243
    edited February 2
    @Tennee ;Do the pants look like the ones in the middle?

Do you have the jacket to go with them?
    download (1).jpg
    196 x 257 - 9K

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” General James Mattis, USMC

AngelineHildaCornersTenneeElise
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Oh. My. God.

Not the leisure suit! Get it away from me! Get it away!!

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    BlueWolfTenneeElisemaverick
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited February 12
    Let's talk about suits for a second.  I'll page @AdamBecker for this too, as its relevant to his Suit pursuit. 

Time to go suit shopping - think I'll get two.  I have the current 'standard issue' stuff - charcoal, navy, etc.  Time to break out of the traditional mode. I've been going bolder in casual  clothes with bright colors, patterns, texture and I dig that - and as Peacocking goes, it works well (compliments, IOIs, etc.). 

So, I like the idea of a lighter gray, coupled with tan like this (Ralph Lauren):

I think that can be paired with a variety of colors for shirts/ties with the tan and really pop.

Also dig the idea of patterns (Hugo Boss):

And I think those work with tan, oxblood, black.  Versatile. 

I am also going to incorporate furnishings here - a pocket square, lapel button, tie tack, etc.  

So, didja buy a suit recently?  Whadja get, and why?  Or for the FOs, didja see a smoking hot dude in a suit recently?  What was he wearing?

For parameters, in my professional role, I have to be very, very serious occasionally (crazy, ain't it, coming from me? makes me laugh everyday) and  have a very strong game-face.  So, no completely wild stuff for work, and these will be for work. 

Also, I am generally a 'traditional' guy - think Brooks Brothers. So, the whole trendy/schoolboy/crazy runway/highwater show yer ankles/skinny stuff ain't me.  And even if I got down to12%BF, I am never, ever getting into anything labeled 'skinny' - I'm not built that way.  I have always tended to cuffs and full or half-breaks too.  Maybe I'm an old geezer, but I think its simply more traditional.

Fire away. 

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    WinterBlueWolf
  • MagnumMagnum A Good PlaceSilver Member Posts: 431
    @Tennee - suitsupply always gets good reviews.  You may want to checkout Dappered.com for review etc.  SS is Like BB, but a hair but more edge.  Free shipping and free returns and a variety of styles and fabrics.  Be warned - the sleeve cuffs have working button holes, which can make alterations hard. 
    "Stop aspiring to be anyone other than your own best self: for that does fall within your control."
    Tennee
  • MagnumMagnum A Good PlaceSilver Member Posts: 431
    For what it's worth, W noticed I was suited up yesterday.  Suits are strictly optional at my job and i typically wear them without a tie.  Anyway, she mentioned that it looked really nice.  She asked where I got it.  When I told her goodwill for $6.41, she was duely impresses.  

It'amazing how little the core style of men's clothing has changed over the years.  Things may chamber on the fringes, but for the most part,
    if you take a mddile-of-the-road men's suit from the 60s or 70s, you'd be hard pressed to differentiate it from a standard men's suit made today.  Of course, I'm not talking about "fashion" changes, like the move to skinny lapels several years ago. 

If I had to guess, I'd say this suit was made in the mid-70s.  100% wool and union made in the US of A.  But the lapel widths and styling are so classic that you can't distinguish it from somtheing from brooks brothers today. 
    "Stop aspiring to be anyone other than your own best self: for that does fall within your control."
    Pen_and_SwordBlueWolf
  • Like_WaterLike_Water United StatesMember Posts: 167
    My most recent suit purchase was from SuitSupply--a charcoal-grey birdseye fabric, two-button.  Very traditional.  Quality is excellent and pricing is moderate (good for the quality but not necessarily inexpensive in absolute terms).  They have subtle details (like the working buttonholes, often with one buttonhole stitched differently) that people who know about suit construction will notice but aren't too flashy.  They offer some fabrics with a little extra texture to the weave that is nice but, again, subtle.  Ignore the ridiculous photos with the rolled-up pants and you can get a very well-made suit.

In my neighborhood, you can sometimes find BB in the Goodwill for $6-20 for a suit that retails at $850.  Hit or miss and I haven't been able to find my size, but worth a try once in a while.
    Tennee
    Awwww yeah.  Linen and leather Sperry Top-Siders.  How you like them apples?
    1457904092564.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M

Magnumgc1234
  • CharlieCharlie Earthquake country Silver Member Posts: 442
    I just came across a good deal on a tailored dress shirt. At Modern Tailor they'll sell you your first shirt for $20 for black, or $25 for blue or white. It's entirely customized - you pick the cut and style of the collar, cuffs, everything, and they tailor it to your measurements that you input (or you can mail them your best fitting shirt, and they take the measurements from that). Seems like a really good shirt, which I saw on Alpha M.'s youtube video on how to get your collar to stand up (he has some really good videos on how to be alpa, btw). Their shirts are typically $70-$80, which is way more than I've ever spent on a shirt, but this introductory offer looks too good to pass up. 
    JellyBeanfrillyfun
    Bump.  Last night's dinner attire.  JosAB linen shirt perfectly rumpled, really soft cotton shorts in a salmon (Nautica), leather Clarks flops.  4 days of scruf, some salt and sun, and the smirk. 

The shirt was just for you @Chief_TC.  @Angeline my eyes are up here.
    20160629_081523.png
    1033 x 1689 - 2M
    20160628_180502.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M

JellyBeanAngelineEliseamblrgirl
  • wanderingTheDesertwanderingTheDesert Desert SWSilver Member Posts: 219
    In an attempt to make the threads thread about me, I need to up my clothing game at work and I'd like some recommendations on where to shop. 

I'm 6'2" 190 lbs, narrow to medium frame, trim with a little belly. I'm 39 yo, I look 33-35. My work is quite conservative (largely government dealings), and I'll be the youngest in my role by about 5-10 years, with appearance adding to the apparent age gap.

So, I need to look professional and clean cut. Slacks, nice shirt, and the occasional tie and/or jacket.

Any tips on where to shop? How to shop? For my profile. 
  • wanderingTheDesertwanderingTheDesert Desert SWSilver Member Posts: 219
    I didn't get any responses to. My thread bump, but I wanted to share some of my findings for getting a high value, high flexibility wardrobe. I also found some fit and selection advice. 

Minimal wardrobes. 

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/build-interchangeable-wardrobe/

http://www.themodestman.com/minimal-essential-wardrobe/

heres a good site for fit and selections, as well as minimal wardrobe. 

http://effortlessgent.com/constructing-a-killer-starter-wardrobe-part-i-five-morsels-of-advice-for-getting-it-right-the-first-time/

And finally, a pay site that takes your use, measurements, coloring, style, and wardrobe into account and gives recommendations with purchase links.
    https://www.cladwellmen.com

hope this helps. 
    CrashaxeTenneeJellyBean
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    edited October 12
    My go to watch is still the Martian Passport. But Im feeling the Garmin. 8K steps is my daily goal. 
    IMG_5194.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
    "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
    JellyBeanTennee
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    @Tennee that^^^ is a beautiful coat for an absolute steal! It's a perfect, timeless piece. Well done!
    Enneagram type 9w1
    TenneeWinter