Being told to smile :)

2»

Comments

• fordsvtfordsvt Canada Eh!Silver Member Posts: 2,300
    I do notice that my happier disposition get's me more IOI's. That is very fucking cool. Nice ego boost and time to chat with beautiful females. Oh yes, just smile baby!!!! Just smile!

Into Phase 3..

Those Who Dare......Win.   "What gives you fear today...Gives you Strength tomorrow.."

AngelineTenneeJek
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    Rorschach said:
    Reborn said:
    Hmm. 

I have a theory (unproven) that people who say they "just" have an unsmiling face, but are not unhappy ... they really are not happy, but they are just accustomed to unhappiness and/or unaware of their emotional state.  
    Have to disagree. Some folks just are not very emotive even at the happiest, so just don't get all smiley. It's more in the eyes. Or, as I recall saying to the photographer who was taking my picture for my firm's website, "I am fecking smiling, dude, just take yer fecking picture!".
    That was a pretty emotive response IMO.  Interesting that both you and the OP have the same reaction to being told to smile.  
    I want to tell them to fuck off
    I'm with @Reborn.  The facial expression of someone feeling "not unhappy" is discernable from that same person when they're actually happy.  And a "fuck you" reflex has got to put you closer to unhappy than to happy.  

So @elgringo - you've said you're not unhappy, to which I'll ask, are you happy?
    Fair point, I suppose. But then I simply never have been smiley, even as a kid. But I could not truthfully say I have always been unhappy. So, I still have to disagree. 
    Tenneetry_red_pill
  • BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651
    Rorschach said:
    Reborn said:
    Hmm. 

I have a theory (unproven) that people who say they "just" have an unsmiling face, but are not unhappy ... they really are not happy, but they are just accustomed to unhappiness and/or unaware of their emotional state.  
    Have to disagree. Some folks just are not very emotive even at the happiest, so just don't get all smiley. It's more in the eyes.

Not just unproven, but inherently unprovable, unless there's some way of objectively measuring and comparing people's subjective emotional states that I'm unaware of.

---

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Rorschach
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    Indeed.  I am working from a n=1 study on myself. 
    I am the first to admit that it is only a theory. 
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
  • BetaTesterBetaTester MichiganSilver Member Posts: 404
    Oh Lord!  I am as introverted as they come.  I have been told the same thing and agree it is irritating to hear it.  It is uncomfortable to the extroverts of the world we are not all bubbly and emotionally touchy.  Realize it is not their fault, they can't help it.

When commanded to smile, a few responses:

I am.
    You will know when I am smiling, you just look pretty.
    Is it required?
    Give me a reason and I will.  
    A winning lotto ticket would help.
    I did it once and was constantly propositioned by women all day.  Much too distracting.
    Ok, I will. Stand back.  Here it comes.  Brace yourself.   It may be too much for you so be careful.
    (give big exaggerated smile). Oh that was close!  You cold have lost control at any time.

TenneeRorschachHappyWife
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    "I'll smile if you'll just look pretty" ... I could work with that!
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    TenneeRorschach
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    @Reborn said:
    "I'll smile if you'll just look pretty" ... I could work with that!
    That was my favorite too.  I gotta remember those...
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
  • BettermanBetterman United KingdomSilver Member Posts: 659
    ENTJ, 8w7
    Don't wish she were different, wish you were better.
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    Frankly, I am a clear introvert (just took the MBTI for a class) and didn't smile much as a kid. When I followed my friends advice, it took a while to get my muscles used to it; but it didn't mean a big change in attitude, just a big change in appearance (got more dates, too.) But the why don't you smile is not 'become a bubbly extrovert". By the way, the smile you are going for is an Andy of Mayberry smile, not a Gomer Pyle smile (just dated myself there.)
    Jek
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    edited March 2015
    dalef said:
    Frankly, I am a clear introvert (just took the MBTI for a class) and didn't smile much as a kid. When I followed my friends advice, it took a while to get my muscles used to it; but it didn't mean a big change in attitude, just a big change in appearance (got more dates, too.) But the why don't you smile is not 'become a bubbly extrovert". By the way, the smile you are going for is an Andy of Mayberry smile, not a Gomer Pyle smile (just dated myself there.)
    I think you just found your avi...

http://media.philly.com/images/andy_griffith.jpg

if that ain't Alpha, idfk
    Rico
  • LouiseLouise EnglandSilver Member Posts: 1,622
    Nothing more irritating than people telling you to smile.  when people did it to me, I always wished I had the nerve to say something like 'my mother just died' to shut them up.  No normal person walks around grinning all the time.