New Member - Ran MAP for 3 Years, Still Stuck

13»

Comments

• RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    You've got a LONG MAP road ahead of you. Putting in the effort, even if your marriage fails, doesn't mean it was for not. Quite the opposite is true, actually. Do the work and let the chips fall where they may. Her attraction may come back over time and you'll find the situation tenable, if not downright enthralling. She may not and you could get to a place where you can coast until the kids are grown. I don't know but I do know that if you work through the process you will come out of it a better man. 

My W and I have a 2 year old and another one coming soon. We almost didn't make it. The MAP saved my ass. I was the problem in the relationship so it was a much easier fix than you have in front of you. But it can be done and the MAP works. 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    Smashmaster
  • crescit13crescit13 USAMember Posts: 13

I was reading through CM's Triage, and a comment by @Husband2point1 jumped out at me, so I'm going to put his questions in my triage to see if helps shed new light.  I'm not sure of the source of H2.1's questions, or what exactly he was driving at because CM dodged the questions, but they struck a note with me so I'm putting them below for comment.

Do you sacrifice your wishes to keep her happy?

A: Yes, little sacrifices every day like getting up early with the kids so she can sleep in to giving up a long shot at a dream career to stay at a dreary job to earn income so she could go to law school.

How often do you mentally censor yourself in order to avoid offending her?

A: Constantly

Are you scared to tell dirty jokes?

A: No, but she chastises me for telling them about half the time.  Dirty jokes by others bother her.  She has complained that husbands of her friends tell too many dirty jokes and it bothers her.

Are there certain hot topics you avoid because you're afraid to upset her?

A: Yes, there are several topics that I avoid to forestall upsetting her. 

Do you avoid initiating sex because you don't want to generate guilt for her?

A: No, I avoid initiating sex because I am tired of being rejected.  She has indicated that she feels guilty over constantly rejecting me, but her guilt has never dissuaded me from initiating.

Are there things you do to avoid her moods?

A: Yes.  When she has bad moods, my instinct is to take the kids somewhere else (another room in the house, go out somewhere) so that a) the kids aren’t exposed to her moods and b) let her mood improve without the kids bothering her.

Do you rearrange priorities, events, schedules, tasks or otherwise maneuver yourself in ways to avoid conflict with her?

A: Yes, I rearrange work schedules, home errands and drop activities that I want to do to accommodate her work / volunteering schedule.  When in conflict, I rearrange my schedule 75-90% of the time.  This week I rescheduled a meeting with a senior VP at work to accommodate her schedule.  I passed on a midweek sports event that I wanted to attend so as not to have the conflict regarding me wasting a vacation day / money on a selfish activity.

Do you try and insulate her from things you think might cause her discomfort?

A: Yes

What's her plan to resolve this?  What's her timeline or schedule to attack this problem?

A: She has made it abundantly clear in our therapy sessions that she feels that I am the only one with problems in the relationship and that I am the one who needs a plan to resolve my issues (e.g. my “obsession with sex” because I want PIV and find getting a HJ twice a month to be unsatisfying). 

Is she aware that you will not accept a celibate marriage?  Have you made this clear to her?  If so, what was her reaction?  If not (as I suspect) then why not?

A: I verbally expressed quite clearly that I will not accept a celibate marriage.  It led us to marriage counseling and her declaration that I had an unhealthy obsession with sex.  But by my actions, I have clearly communicated that I will accept a celibate marriage.  Or at least remain in the simulacrum of a marriage so the kids have a stable environment in which to grow up.  They’ll only live once, and they deserve better than a smoking crater where their childhood should be.

318JimmyNowSmashmasterConsignedToTheFlames

H2.1, thanks for the recommendation on No More Mr. Nice Guy.  Reading through the book, I certainly had a similar background to the “nice guys” he describes.  I’ve been taking the work seriously and working with a therapist through some of the issues.  I sense that a lot of people going through the book would “yeah yeah yeah” and half-ass the exercises, but I’m taking my time to seriously work through things.  And there were some serious childhood / adolescent issues that I had compartmentalized away that I need to work through so that I’m working with an adult skill set with my wife.  I think I may have done these books backward – it would have been more productive to do NMMNG and then MMSP rather than the other way around.  But one brought me to the other, and hopefully it all works out in the end.

Something odd has come up recently.  Twice in the past few weeks, my wife has mentioned that a friend has confided that her husband wasn’t having sex with her.  That these two women desperately wanted sex, but weren’t getting it.  A) it’s odd that my wife would break the confidence that a friend puts in her about anything.  B) especially about sex what with all of our issues and how uncomfortable she is about the subject.  C) it’s not as if I don’t know the husbands involved.  One of them I socialize with somewhat frequently.  D) I do not know if my wife confided in them any details about our (lack of) sex life.  She didn’t mention that one way or the other.

So what’s the motivation here?  Some sort of equalist fantasy that “see this can happen to women too”?  A convoluted honeypot since both of these thirsty women are attractive?  Trying to assuage my feelings by letting me know that others are going through the same thing?  An oblique opening to try to discuss our issues in the context of someone else’s?

I’m curious about this board’s thoughts on this –I realize that it would be pure speculation since you don’t know the parties or the particulars involved – but maybe someone else has had a similar situation and can provide some clarity.  Right now, I’m just confused and a little hurt by my wife bringing up other women’s lack of sex issues.  BTW, if the answer is “grow up, not everything is about you”, that’s a fair answer that I’ve considered.  But I’ve rejected it for now because my wife bringing this particular subject up is very unusual and out of character.

• RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    She has made it abundantly clear in our therapy sessions that she feels that I am the only one with problems in the relationship and that I am the one who needs a plan to resolve my issues (e.g. my “obsession with sex” because I want PIV and find getting a HJ twice a month to be unsatisfying).

And does your therapist accept this?  What did he/she say?
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
  • stillasamountainstillasamountain CT, USASilver Member Posts: 521
    edited July 2015
    Angeline said:
    Stop being everyone's beast of burden. You won't get an award at the end of your life for having the largest load of sticks on your back.
    QFT. I can think of a few people in my life that could benefit enormously from this advice...

“She was 3/4 perfection and 1/4 broken glass.”

John3
    @Angeline - You're absolutely right about the A&A.  I recognized that I was failing a fitness test as it was happening, but all I could hear in my brain was Admiral Akbar yelling "IT'S A TRAP!".  I froze and left it at "huh, how about that".  Which is marginally better than defensiveness and reassurance, so....baby steps?  

I don't want to be everyone's beast of burden.  But the niceguy "I will internalize, I will work harder, I will carry a heavier load" schema has been the only road map that I have ever had.  Part of the NMMNG is developing a different road map to get through life.  Dr. Glover has used the analogy that you are trying to drive through Chicago with a map of Seattle.  Of course you're not getting where you want to go.  And you may even know why - because you have the map of the wrong city.  But you keep using the Seattle map because it's the only map you have and it feels safer than just wandering around lost.  

I know that I need a new road map.
    AngelineJohn3
    @Reborn - The therapist recognized and commented that my wife is very committed to not making any changes in our sex life, so further discussion about it would not be productive for anyone.  The therapist recommended that we work on other areas of our relationship where we might make positive change rather than hopelessly hammering at an immovable object.

On one hand, that's total bullshit.  On the other, this makes sense -  a neutral third party who is identified that this won't change, so why waste time and energy on the subject.  Just because it's unpleasant and not what I want to hear doesn't mean it's incorrect.
    crescit13 said:
    @Reborn - The therapist recognized and commented that my wife is very committed to not making any changes in our sex life, so further discussion about it would not be productive for anyone.
    Okay, but my question was not specifically about your sex life.

You said your wife "feels that I am the only one with problems in the relationship" (and you quoted sex just as an "e.g.", an example).

No marriage therapist should believe or accept a statement that the problem is all with one member of the couple, that the other is perfect. Have I misunderstood what you said?
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    HildaCornersJellyBean
    It would make sense to me if the therapist said this:

The therapist recognized and commented that my wife is very committed to not making any changes in our sex life, so further discussion about it would not be productive for anyone AT THIS POINT. The therapist recommended that we FIRST work on other areas of our relationship where we might make positive change

Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    AngelineLeticiastillasamountainBen
  • stillasamountainstillasamountain CT, USASilver Member Posts: 521
    crescit13 said:

On one hand, that's total bullshit.  On the other, this makes sense -  a neutral third party who is identified that this won't change, so why waste time and energy on the subject.  Just because it's unpleasant and not what I want to hear doesn't mean it's incorrect.
    It's good that you understand the bolded part. Did you explain to the therapist that, given the main reason for the counseling (Phase 4 over the shitty sex life) that there might not be a marriage much longer if you all sidestep the 600 pound gorilla in the room?

You could suggest that the therapist start by addressing the fact that it is completely normal for a husband to want more frequent and passionate sexual encounters with his wife than a bi-weekly hand job. Just for a start. Baby steps, you know. Your wife doesn't have to change her feelings re: sex but I think she needs outside input that you are entitled to your own perspective and that it's an entirely healthy one.

Then I'd suggest, since you are paying for their professional help, that the therapist come up with some practical strategies that remain on topic.

In other words: "Yeah... that's really not gonna work for me. Here's why. Do you have any advice other than shifting focus? Or do I need to start looking for a new therapist?"

“She was 3/4 perfection and 1/4 broken glass.”

jon
    @Reborn, I think you might be right in that the therapist did actually say something along the lines of not working on this right now, or at this point, or we're not ready to discuss that.  But that I ignored it in the heat of an emotionally charged moment.  Without a Black Mirror grain implant, I can't rerun the conversation to know if it was a "for now" or "ever" embargo on discussing our sex problems.  That actually makes more sense than a therapist declaring we would never discuss the biggest elephant in the room.

And the therapist does not accept that I am the only one with problems in the relationship.  My wife said that before we started counseling - that was her reason for not wanting to go / blowing off our first appointment.  

@John3, I am also pessimistic about the prospects for change.  But I feel as if it is important to honestly try.
  • BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651
    crescit13 said:

@John3, I am also pessimistic about the prospects for change.  But I feel as if it is important to honestly try.
    I know you feel that way, but... real talk?  If an honest effort to improve the quality of your sex life isn't on the table, then it really isn't important to give the rest an honest try.  It would be one thing if your wife had ever displayed a willingness to make an effort and had simply become discouraged when her efforts didn't produce results.  She's consistently been very clear and upfront about her unwillingness to even make an effort.  Given that, I really don't think there's going to be a better time for a true Phase 6, A or B ultimatum.

EITHER she commits to making an honest effort to improve your sex life, which would include both visits to the gynecologist and her GP to rule out physical or hormonal causes for her vaginismus and lack of sex drive and visits both as a couple and individually to one or more dedicated sex therapists, OR the money that would be spent on the above gets spent on divorce lawyers instead.

Actually, visit a lawyer and get the papers drawn up regardless.  Even in the absolute best-case scenario in which she chooses Option A and has an immediate breakthrough with a sex therapist that turns things around for you, you need to confront the possibility that it won't work out with her.  Your fear of that outcome is sabotaging things just as much as any other factor.

And drop the lame marriage counselor you've been going to.  They are a paid professional and you are their customer.  If they are refusing to do the job that you are paying for, take your business elsewhere.

---

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    AngelineTennee
  • CartB4HorseCartB4Horse Southwest USASilver Member Posts: 4,155
    @crescit13 -- Have you considered giving sex (or lack thereof) a break for a while?

You are in Phase One and a major Nice Guy, no where near a point where you can drop ultimatums or even hard demands.  Your wife runs the show, and does whatever she wants.

Figure out how to up your SR as quickly as possible. The longer you stay where you are the worse it gets.

FWIW I was also a NG with strong passive aggressive behaviors when I started out.  Part of my wife's "issues" were really my own, reflected back on me.  My wife was completely un-attracted to me and told me so.

I was an ugly person on the inside.  My MAP was all about me fixing me.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

• LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
    You mentioned your job but not hers.  Does she currently work?  If she is a SAHM then maybe it's time for her to get a job since she isn't pulling her weight around the house or in the bed room.

I think you greatly underestimate your options.  Decent shape and make a 150k in NC.  You would have very little trouble finding someone. Really how well do you think she would do o  her own?  Not saying you should file paper work but knowing you hAve options should help your frame.

I was in a similar situation as you and was able to turn things around (painful sex, zero drive, unwilling to seek help).    Work on you and remember sex comes last so stop talking and start doing.  

fordsvtRicoJellyBean