@Ozzy needs your wisdom on business stuff

ozzyozzy TX USAGold Men Posts: 996
edited February 2015 in 2. Money and Material Stuff
Lesson one:

I have been working on some design/drawings for a customer's project.  Now customer says he has secured enough funding to build a prototype of the design.

What does @ozzy charge for such services?

Though I would prefer a flat package price, there are far too many unknowns in this project to do that and I would probably lose my ass to do it that way, so I think that's not an option

This is the option I am thinking of presenting:
a.  Customer provides/purchases all of the materials and purchased components,
b.  Ozzy will provide the labor and design/consulting brain to put it all together into something that works.  I will charge $X/hour with a commitment from me of at least Y hours per week, where Y is somewhere between 10-20 hours.  Since Ozzy already works full time, need to set some upper limits on hours to keep things reasonable.

This way covers me in a few ways (I think):  
  1.  I am not out for the materials or labor if customer wants to change the design, add stuff, or such
  2.  If customer runs out of money and cannot proceed further, then he just collects his parts and we go our separate ways.
  3.  Basically, if the customer's demands become unreasonable, then he pays for his unreasonableness via my increased hours on the project
  4.  No sales tax issues, as all my billing is for services
  5.  Ozzy's business bank account is rather thin and could not buy much anything in advance of payment.

This leads to the next question - How much per hour?  
In my day job, I make $Z per hour as an employee.  To take home the same hourly rate from this project would be suitable. 

So.. I need $Z + taxes + overhead + ??  in order to take home the same.  

What am I missing/not considering/etc?

ETA - what is a reasonable % for taxes, overhead etc.

Comments

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    I assume he's going to 1099 you.   Are you incorporated or individual contractor?   You'll have to estimate what the additional income does to your bracket if individual.   If a biz, that could change depending on how you structure things. 

I would absolutely draw up a contract here and lay out very specifically what is, and what is not, and what contingencies, and liability, etc.  Don't go in without expectations clearly defined. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    AngelineHildaCorners
  • ozzyozzy TX USAGold Men Posts: 996
    I am LLC, and so is he.  The income just goes on my regular taxes via schedule C since I am a single member LLC.  That will stay the same for this year.

I will make up a contract, as I have worked for people where the scope of the project went far off the rails, and other adventures..  

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    Who owns the design you are creating? 
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    CrashaxeTenneeJohn3
    How does customer know he's secured enough funding if you haven't talked turkey?  Are you being shopped?

Along the same lines, do you know if you have competition?  If so, what their price and value proposition is?
    I believe he will have enough.  I highly doubt I am being shopped or have a competitor at this point, but anything is possible.  There are a lot of processes going into this project - machining, welding, fiberglass, electrical wiring.  I'm thinking too many processes for most typical machine shops to take an interest in the project

Simple time and materials contract. Not even materials, really. Whatever your hourly pay is, triple it. My consulting firm paid me about $35-40/hr and billed me at $120-135/hr to cover all of my compensation, taxes, overhead, profits, etc. 
    Triple seems like a lot - though I am no expert in pricing.  I do need figure more exactly my tax rate.   Though..isn't part of that triple, the profit for the employer?  Since I am the employer, part of that could be left out?  I'll follow up with some #s soon.

Chief_TC said:
    Is this something he plans to mass produce and sell after he has a working prototype or is it personal use? One and done type deal.
    He has some grand plans, which are potentially possible.  He wants to take the prototype and build a kickstarter type program.  He may want a second prototype with some different features, hard to say for sure.  There could be some potential for me to be involved in future product manufacturing, but nothing is certain there.  

He may also want to offer me some equity in his company, which sounds nice, but at the moment I need cash asap.  Farther down the road...maybe?  I don't know..working and running one business seems like too much already, might not be any mental room left for someone else's business too.

[Deleted User]
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    The 1/3 taxes, 1/3 overhead, 1/3 profit sounds just about right...you may pay less in taxes, but they are higher when you're self-employed.

How long do you anticipate this project will take to complete?  What are the deliverables?  I'd set a financial goal and then name your price based on that. 

If it's work for hire stuff you're only making the money one time so you have to charge enough to cover your overhead until new work comes in.  

You also need to think about what opportunities you might be missing out on while you're doing this project.
  • BlackwulfBlackwulf Leading the pack. Silver Member Posts: 1,782
    Typically most professional type labor is 3-4x salary hourly rate for people like accountants and attorneys.  I would setup up a contract where they reimburse 100% for any materials used since you are manufacturing/fabricating.  I would then charge for my outside work time at the very least 3x/hour of what your current job is.  You still have overhead, and you have to pay the guy who does the work (you), and then you get to profit (you again).  The only way I would do less per hour is if they were going to pay you 2X your current salary plus equity.  

As a business owner you have to pay yourself first.  The working model for most successful solo professionals is that they can actually make a decent living at 1000 billable hours a year, because they are spending 1200+hours marketing tracking down business.  

Since you are cash poor definitely get a retainer up front.  You are not in a position to bank roll anyone's pet projects.  
    frillyfunTenneeHildaCorners
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    edited February 2015
    It would seem that he'd be checking around for quotes from more than one person if he's a capable business owner.

You said he has some real pie-in-the-sky ideas, and it doesn't seem like he's nailed down the spec.  Is he a loon who's going to drive you crazy with endless revisions, and then offer you a cut of the company (who's only asset is the product you just designed, but will need $10,000 worth of patent attorney work), or a dream catcher he made himself instead of payment?

It sounds like you have an employee mentality- work, get paid, lather rinse repeat.   It's different when you're self-employed. Check out Rich Dad, Poor Dad.  It gives you a good look into the mindset of a business owner.  It will help you get your bearings.
    Tenneeozzy
    Angeline said:

Remember to play!

CrashaxeTennee
    edited February 2015
    Angeline said:
    Angeline said:
    Angeline said:

The product is his idea, his concept.  I am creating the details to bring it into the real world from his napkin type sketches, for which he is paying me.  

ETA I know I didn't answer the question, because I am not sure if he owns it, or if the law would view it as a joint venture.  It is a point of debate at the ozzy house

• mrsozzymrsozzy texasGold Women Posts: 1,950
    My view is that Ozzy is contributing to bringing the product to market, so he should be compensated for that above and beyond the hourly rate should the product become successful. He does not want to be a partner with this client. I know very little about corporate law. But I think a contract which states that they are not partners, and that provides for some sort of royalty payment if the product becomes successful, may be appropriate.
    [Deleted User]Tennee
    edited February 2015
    The reason I ask is that I have been involved with some form of design/drafting for most of my adult life both as an employee and as a self employed independent contractor, and the general understanding is that the company hiring you owns the concept and any ideas that working on the concept produces. You have to have a very clear audit trail of independent work done on the concept outside and separate from work done for a boss or a client, or already be a partner, to be able to successfully claim it as your own.

So, assumptions that it will mean shared ownership, or even a signed contract saying so, could be ignored in favor of existing intellectual property law, sort of like a pre-nup. Having this nailed down ahead of time is essential.
    Remember to play!

frillyfun[Deleted User]TenneeBlackwulf
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited February 2015
    @mrsozzy said:  "But I think a contract which states that they are not partners, and that provides for some sort of royalty payment if the product becomes successful"

and ^^^^^^ to @Angeline‌ above, reread this.

Abso-friggin-loutely.   Don't mess with a piece of the Co., then you have Owners headaches.  If he has his shit together, he can run it.  You're providing design input - get a piece of this.  I'd want an ownership piece of both the design AND a % of gross sales.  Both.  If you weren't involved in design, then the design piece wouldn't be appropriate,  but it sounds do to me like you're heavily a part of this - fleshing out 'details' from a napkin sketch is heavily involved in product design and development to me.  If this is something y'all seek a patent/TM on, owning a piece of this aspect is valuable - if y'all sell it to MegaCo. Inc. later, you'll be positioned for that royalty piece too.

Don't sell yourself short as to your involvement in product development and owning a piece of the design.  The real money lies there and in sales % s.
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    frillyfun
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    You charge as much as the market will bear.  3x sounds like a good starting point.
    AngelineBlackwulf
  • seriouslyseriously The mittenSilver Member Posts: 1,134
    Tennee while I agree that's where the real money may be if it's successful, I would never give a stake in the product.  We have a large design and manufacturing component to our business.  The idea sounds like it came from the client.  All my sub contracts include the clauses the require all intellectual property including that developed by the designer, engineer and prototyped belong to me.  I can't imagine the scenario when I would give that up.
    TenneeAngelineozzy
  • seriouslyseriously The mittenSilver Member Posts: 1,134
    Ozzy what is your time worth.  If he is supplying materials and you don't need to add any other special capabilities, it's all about your time.  Consider your own opportunity cost, and figure it from there.
    [Deleted User]