Desperate: My wife needs dopamine from me fast or I will lose her...

mapman8mapman8 Silver Member Posts: 38
edited March 2015 in 911 Relationship ER
Long story short, I've let all the excitement in our marriage of 10 years evaporate. My wife is very fun and social, and relies on that, but we've let us having two kids keep us from having a adult / social fun together for too long. I've been too complacent in letting it happen, and so my wife sought her dopamine fix from a co-worker.

There is a small chance / short window of saving the marriage, but it relies on me quickly bringing back some feelings of excitement that I have forgotten how to provide. I feel helpless in thinking out how to excite my wife at this point. I'm desperate. I need to be her dopamine fix again or it's done.

Comments

• MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    I am very sorry to hear that your marriage is rocky now and I truly hope you can turn things around.
    For best advice on how to proceed please answer the triage questions.

http://marriedmansexlife.com/triage-your-relationship-and-the-911-er-category/

When you say your wife looked for dopamin from a co-worker do you mean she had a physical affair?

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
  • Jen_KayJen_Kay Posts: 374
    edited March 2015
    Hi @mapman8 , welcome to the forum. I would also encourage you to fill out the triage questions that Maria linked above. They will help us to give you the best advice.
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    Fill out a triage

Buy the books, read them,  go to the site AtholKay.com (webinars)
    Start to Lift some heavy things and put them back down. 
    Take her with abandon.
    Take a damn breath and calm down.
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
  • mapman8mapman8 Silver Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2015
    TRIAGE: She doesn't love me any more. She doesn't want to settle on me anymore. Divorce has been discussed and is imminent. I've already read all the books and blogs here (starting about 7 months ago). I didn't do a good job executing.

1A. I'm 34, my wife is 37. We got married almost 10 years ago, after dating 5 years prior. So I've been dating her since college (and her right after college). We have 2 children, 7 and 5.

We are both good looking people, but she's better looking. We're both 5'7" or so (she's taller in heals). She's in good shape. But to be honest her body has taken a bit of a toll from having children. You can't tell when's dressed up though. Overall she's gorgeous.

I'm a good looking guy, and I'm in great shape. I'm not tall, but have a athletic / muscular build. She's a sports nut though, so I bet she wishes she married a tall guy.

----

2A. No medical issues with me. With her I think there may some minor medical issues at play (perhaps hormone imbalance and/or potential thyroid issues), but I'm not a doctor and she wont get tested. She already has lots of issues with allergies, sinuses, etc so feels like she's at the doctor enough. Me suggesting she get tested at this point would make it seem I'm pushing the cause for all this back on her and would make things worse.

---

3A. No Structural Attraction Issues. I'm in great physical shape. I'm successfully self-employed, made a few-hundred-thousand dollars last year that allowed us to pay off most of our debt and get a big savings account for the first time ever. I also work from home (more on this later), so split all child duties (as opposed to being gone at work all the time). We have a pretty nice home in a nice neighborhood we can easily afford.

---

4A. Critical Moments and Neglect. Yep, I screwed up here big-time. We've been having trouble for quite a while (though I didn't understand how bad). On our 9th anniversary seven or so months ago my card to her said something like "We're still trying to figure out how to make each other happy. Things will be different next year one way or another." I was trying to be alpha. This really hurt her and she hasn't forgiven me for this.

---

5A. Twice there has been outside sexual sources. Once 4+ years ago (one time thing). Then again recently (less than two months ago, lighter but ongoing). That's why it's critical now.

---

6A. The sex went bad a long time ago. Don't even remember when it was still good. When we were still having sex it was a chore for her. The frequency has been a continual frustration to me. We've been at a couple times per month for so long now that I don't remember when it was different.

---

7A. At the start 15 years ago sex was frequent and great. The first 3 years of our relationship was long distance so we were like bunnies when we'd see each other every few weeks. It definitely dropped off after marriage, but not sure when. 

---

8A. Twice she's turned to another man, once 4+ years ago, then two months ago. While different men, both have been co-workers. One was the equivalent of flirting with a one-night stand. The recent one hasn't yet gone outside the office or involved intercourse, but has been everything else and in the office. Dopamine. Dopamine. Dopamine.

The elephant in the room is that this has happened because I'm boring. She's a very social creature and I've let my social connections / life whither to nothing and discouraged hers too much (allegedly). The result is a monotonous, boring home life and we get no excitement together.

---

9A. There is no clear leader in our marriage. We are both so independent that it's more running the house / family is very well divided, but not really cooperative. Either of us trying to assume leadership leads to battles.

---

10A. Good times were drinking at smokey bars, traveling to meet each other, hosting gatherings at our house, concerts, our playing games together over drinks. Since kid stuff started 8 years ago they've been few and far between. The mental state I'm in now makes it hard to remember when the last good times really were. And that's the problem. She is a very fun person, and I've allowed that to be squashed and she resents me for it.

• The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    But you need to hit this on both fronts, fix your issues and kill the affair properly.
    I'll let others comment on the dopamine problem.  

How did the last affair get outed and how did it end?  What was the fallout at the time?  What was her reaction?  Real remorse, blame, ???

Does she know you know what's going on now?  What exactly do you know?

As many facts and details as possible if you want good advice.

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    edited March 2015
    5a. Who had the affairs (if that's what you mean - euphemisms are not your friend here, they just slow down the sharing of important info), you or here? By one time do you mean a one night stand? Was it a stranger, friend or coworker? Confessed or discovered by spouse? Is there any ongoing contact at all, ever?

Same questions for the second affair. 
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    MiddleMan
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    According to 8A., his wife had both affairs.
    Angeline
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    edited March 2015
    Ack thanks @growingafamily, my reading comprehension is FAIL today! Sorry @mapman8.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    edited March 2015
    Agree with the ^^ posts. 
    Focus on you. 
    I still don't get how you feel you screwed up with the card (yes it was poorly worded). But Let's not forget her infidelity. Are you sure you're sharing everything with us?

"How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
    Angeline
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    Bumped to Silver. Switched to 911 Category.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

edited March 2015
    I feel I screwed up with the card because yesterday she said that's when it went from a tough marriage to her starting to numb herself to me. I followed it with months of poorly executed alpha and declining beta.

First affair I knew there was an inappropriate relationship of some sort, but she convinced me it fizzled out before it got anywhere. A few months later she confessed that she had slept with him once when drunk and felt terrible remorse. I got over it.

Second instance I found out by snooping the same weekend she said she wants a divorce. I told her I knew, got her to confess everything (which all matched up with what I already had facts on). No intercourse, but no remorse either. I contacted the other man, met him face to face. He is a total beta, 10 years younger than her, religious kid with a 7 year girlfriend, called me "sir", could hardly look me in the eye or speak. He actually called me after the meeting, teared up, and thanked me for meeting him and offering to do anything he can to help. I'm pretty sure it's over now based on that and her behavior (though she won't discuss it).

To be honest, because of the totally bizarre and pathetic nature of this second indiscretion, it's somehow more forgivable. I know she's just so hurt by me and distanced from me that she just needed some beta, somebody to make her feel appreciated. And messing around at work supplied the dopamine she so desperately needed.

She was gung-ho on divorce, was looking at apartments, and had a meeting scheduled with attorney. Then at the last minute she finally agreed to counseling (which she was adamantly opposed to), but she said she doesn't love me anymore after the first session. 

She prides herself on being social, fun and fiercely independent. Says she doesn't want to settle for me anymore and deserves to be happy. I want to keep our family together and rebuild the marriage for good. She doesn't think it's possible. But she's not gone yet. So I'm fighting until it's over.
    AngelineWhereWasI
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    Ok, so talk through what builds dopamine for her. What attracted her to you in the first place?  Did you guys do exciting stuff and that tapered off with the birth of the kids?  Were you different around her? Was there an activity you used to do for fun that you can restart?

Date her all over again. How would you woo her if you were just starting out right now?

You're basically saying "I'm boring", so clearly the solution is to be more exciting. What excites her?
    soa2005Blackwulf
  • soa2005soa2005 United statesSilver Member Posts: 631
    edited March 2015
    @mapman8 ;
    The fact that she ended up coming clean later on after initially trickle truthing you speaks volumes to me. She felt guilty and has shown you remorse. That's big.

Things in your relationship that were lacking did not change and now she recently started an "ea". You did a pretty solid job of shutting it down. They work together though so I think moving forward you are going to need access to communications, whereabouts, plans, etc. Also, what was said between your wife and the co worker? How innapropriate was this? Was there specific talk of escalating? Were there any "I love you's"? Depending on how bad it was it may be difficult for you to make progress in your marriage with those two still in close proximity. 

How has she responded to you busting this affair? I know she has not shown remorse, yet. What exactly was said between the two of you? Was there an ultimatum? If so, what were the demands? 

You have become complacent and things are boring. Does your wife stay at home with you or does she have her own social life? Like @Husband2point1 ;
    asked, what fun things did you guys use to do? Do you have any shared interests that could get the two of you out more? 
    It seems like you're doing ok financially so what is the reason for the lack of date nights and fun? What changed and when did it change? What's missing that use to work for you guys?

Your wife agreed to marriage counseling so let's assume that there is some part of her that wants this to work. After the first affair did you tell her you were going to make changes in the marriage and not follow through? Did you guys ever discuss exactly why the first affair happened? I agree with you that dopamine is missing here but I'm curious about what your wife has said about the problems.
    edited March 2015
    She doesn't want to date me. She has absolutely no feelings of attraction for me anymore. The only reason she hasn't left is the kids. She cares for me, doesn't want to hurt me, but doesn't want me as her husband. She said to me last night she deserves better. 

In terms of the value scale, she somehow feels she is suddenly way above me. This has to be due to lack of perceived social high-value (at least in part). This is hard to counter because I work from home and my outside social life really has withered away.

I need to start to build attraction again somehow, quickly. I need to get some steps there before I can start dating her again. (I'm sure being obviously consumed with one-itis for her doesn't help.)
  • soa2005soa2005 United statesSilver Member Posts: 631
    edited March 2015
    @mapman8 ;
    Btw welcome. It's a shitty situation but you're in a really good place. This forum has helped a ton of people better themselves. 
    DaddyOhnot_again
    @soa2005 My wife's social life has suffered almost down to nothing too, but she can fire it back up pretty easily, and has started to.

For us to move forward we would need to rebuild trust. However, the notion that I should have access to her plans, whereabouts, etc is completely opposite of what she wants right now. She wants independence, has stated so plainly, and feels like she owes nothing to me.

I believe the only reason she agreed to do counseling was for self-justification of ending it. She knows divorce will be hell, so she's willing to put it off a little to do something that will relieve her of guilt. 
    edited March 2015
    @generalzod I did talk to an attorney. The picture does not look good (no fault state, I have a business to protect, so she'd probably take everything else financially). I was ready to file until she said she'd try counseling. So that gets my hopes up, but then she makes it quite clear that she doesn't think there is any chance for this to work. I'm a roommate to her.

And I know logically that me driving myself crazy to try to get it to work doesn't actually help my chances.

I don't want to bluff either though, because I think she'd call my bluff and be done with it.

So I guess that is the secret I'm looking for. How can I be alpha, kick her some dopamine, when I'm at such a disadvantage?