We got any Endocrinologists on here yet?

Comments

• leoslayerleoslayer NCSilver Member Posts: 1,920
    edited March 2015
    ok I went online and it says glycohemoglobin 4.9 ref range 4.0-6.0

Ok so I guess that's blood sugar.
  • thisisjenthisisjen Silver Member Posts: 1,164
    HemoglobinA1c.  Is something totally different than hemoglobin...........my bad....whew

• WheelManWheelMan North of SeattleGold Men Posts: 162
    Ah, that's glycated hemoglobin (A1c), a useful marker for your blood sugar levels over the last few months and can indicate if your glucose metabolism has been wonky. Healthy range is 4-6%, 6-6.5% is considered pre-diabetic, and over 6.5% indicates type 2 diabetes.
    Could this be an abnormal presentation of Graves'? My mother had Graves'.
  • WheelManWheelMan North of SeattleGold Men Posts: 162
    That's one of a handful of abnormal thyroid conditions which could explain many of your symptoms - thyroid hormone level test results could rule out or narrow that array of possibilities.
    Ape said:
    Just a question and I mean no offense but did you take steroids in college?  5'11" 220 is very dense.  Running back I presume?  

No I've never taken a thing. Just busted it from 8th grade on.
    Head of Endo at VA just called me and said get your GP to ask for a new consult and I guarantee you'll get in.

So I should get one step closer.
  • ichabodichabod Member Posts: 943
    edited March 2015
    I'm not an endo, but I play one on MMSL.

1.  TT?
    2.  FT?
    3.  Progesterone?
    4.  E2?

Are you or have you ever been on TRT/AAS?
    Never listen to what a women says she prefers in men; instead, watch what she does.
    Angeline
    edited March 2015
    ichabod said:
    I'm not an endo, but I play one on MMSL.

1.  TT?
    2.  FT?
    3.  Progesterone?
    4.  E2?

Are you or have you ever been on TRT/AAS?
    No not on anything. Never have done any type of roids, hgh or vitamin T.

Talked to the nurse and I have to do a new written request to have my labs reposted to my account.

Sorry total T 660. Free 10.16.
  • IfOnlyIfOnly Silver Member Posts: 617
    I'll chime in with the others who have mentioned possible thyroid issues.  The "always cold" is what tips it for me -- that is exactly what my wife is like.
    [Deleted User]
  • ichabodichabod Member Posts: 943
    OP: go to Stop the Thyroid Madness™ - Hypothyroidism and thyroid ... and read like a madman.  This could be number of things, your TT numbers are good.  Still need to see your e2.
    Never listen to what a women says she prefers in men; instead, watch what she does.
    So I finally have been granted an appointment with endo on May 18!!!

Boooya!
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    You have six positive indicators for low thyroid function, along with a positive indication for a genetic marker too (your mother's Graves is a thyroid autoimmune disease). If you give any sober endo those factors, then you will get a full TSH test, which you definitely should push for. 
    IfOnly
  • FromMarsFromMars Member Posts: 111
    Yep, most of your symptoms just scream "hypothyroidism." Definitely get some thyroid labs done if you haven't already.
    Well FUCK just saw two endos and they don't think I'm hormonal.

They are doing three more labs.

They are suggesting I might get a sleep study and or try anti depressants.

They absolutely believe I have something going on but have no clue what unless these last three tests come back.

This is bullshit and I'm sick of it.
    Elise
  • John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396
    Hey @leoslayer, it takes a ton of patience to deal with Endos.  Something about the profession seems to make them take everything slowly. Mine drove me nuts, which is why I nexted him...he's the head teaching dude in my area, and he didn't know squat about T replacement. Scary.  Did they take thyroid labs? Could turn out to point in the right direction. 
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    John3 said:
    Hey @leoslayer, it takes a ton of patience to deal with Endos.  Something about the profession seems to make them take everything slowly. Mine drove me nuts, which is why I nexted him...he's the head teaching dude in my area, and he didn't know squat about T replacement. Scary.  Did they take thyroid labs? Could turn out to point in the right direction. 
    Today they did shbg cortisol and some more thyroid labs.

Said everything else looks good. Estrogen, T was 680, 
    I just want my life back.

• John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396

SHBG will tell you if you have plenty of testosterone in your system...which cannot be used, giving you a problem. It's part of the free-T calculation.  Cortisol is the stress hormone...it can help diagnose chronic stress, which can give you the symptoms you are experiencing. And thyroid sounds like a good thing to evaluate too. 

Your T level sounds like it should be fine, and Estrogen isn't getting in the way. Hang in there...I totally get wanting your life back (been there).  You want a good diagnosis before they start throwing meds at you. It's hard to be patient.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    One of my labs came back abnormal.

They want me to take a more detailed test. I really hope this is the answer!

It matches not only the symptoms I wrote here but others I thought were unrelated!!!!
    Elise