The Dishwasher Loading Thread Derailment Prevention Thread

Comments

• SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    @Cowboy said:
    If you're going to obsess over something, it should at least be something worthy of the name
    Ahh, but @Cowboy , dontcha realize dishwasher loading peace could be the key to world peace . . . ?   o:)
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    Cowboy said:
    I can't believe there are so many people in the world who are this passionate about loading the damn dishwasher. If you're going to obsess over something, it should at least be something worthy of the name (like sports or Pinewood Derby racing :)  )
    Other than pointy stuff pointing down and trying to both cram it full and make sure it all gets sloshed with soapy water, I'm pretty lasseiz faire too. I think tne folks that obssess about it are the ones we need doing this, where that kind of meticulousness is really important:

tray1.jpeg
    400 x 266 - 70K
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    ScarletKattCowboyShepard
    SMan said:
    I hardly ever buy dishes or utensils- get a steady supply of them as gifts.

I wanna know what you do that you get a steady supply of dishes and utensils?! I would love that.
    Remember to play!

JellyBean
  • stillasamountainstillasamountain CT, USASilver Member Posts: 521
    The thing I never understood is that you have to basically wash items before you "dishwasher" them. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Instead of a pre-rinse, just add a little soap and elbow grease and you're done.

Saves energy, nothing to break or buy, no safety issues, no arguments and a chunk of storage space freed up. Win all around, no?

“She was 3/4 perfection and 1/4 broken glass.”

• ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542
    @stillasamountain only if you have a crappy dishwasher.  
    Speak your truth. 
    HildaCorners
  • stillasamountainstillasamountain CT, USASilver Member Posts: 521
    edited March 2015
    Well, I could just be terminally out of the loop. Since the last time I used one was the late 70's... that is probably a safe assumption. ;) Still seem like space hogs to me. Gotta go, the kids are on my lawn again, dammit!

“She was 3/4 perfection and 1/4 broken glass.”

ScarletthisisjenBlackwulfspartacus
    @Angeline said:
    SMan said:
    I hardly ever buy dishes or utensils- get a steady supply of them as gifts.

I wanna know what you do that you get a steady supply of dishes and utensils?! I would love that.
    Well, there's a catch. You have to not mind getting other stuff for birthdays, Christmas & the like.

I happen to be very hard to buy presents for, and I'm one of those people who doesn't really need much of anything. People routinely get my size wrong when they're trying to buy clothes.

So when people fish around for present buying ideas, I put out the word that  kitchen items would be great. I get my broken glasses replaced, get new useful gizmos. LOL- you should have heard the noises when I said I wanted a splatter cover for the frying pan a few years ago, or when I said I wanted one of those handheld electric eggbeaters :)

AngelineSallyMander
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    I just don't like dishwashers. They are a pain in the ass in so many ways. 
    For one thing, either you have to essentially clean everything before it goes in there, or else you end up having to clean horrible gungey horribleness out of the filters and the outlet pipe and the door seals. And occasionally it will flood your kitchen. And it makes noise. And takes up space. And the wash is so hot it makes plates brittle over time. And because it cleans by abrasion, it dulls the glassware. And of course wooden and nonstick stuff can't go in there. Gah. 
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    stillasamountain
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited April 2015
    The biggest advantage of a dishwasher is its ability to make the kitchen look tidier.
    I wouldn't mind the washing up of dishes, but I don't want to do it after ever meal or snack.
    Love just putting dirty stuff into the washer and get it out of sight!

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    [Deleted User]
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    For 1-2 people, both out of the house most of the day, a dishwasher is unnecessary. When I lived alone between husbands, working in offices full time, I never used one.

But when you are responsible for the dishes of a whole family, 3 meals a day for everyone but one person, plus 127 kids and their friends who have snacks and drinks throughout the day, a dishwasher is wonderful for handling the mountain of dishes every day.

And a good dishwasher can actually wash dirty dishes. The best dishwasher I ever owned even had a disposer built in, no filters to clean. For that one, I scraped into the trash, then put the dish in the washer, that was all.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • mrsozzymrsozzy texasGold Women Posts: 1,950
    I hear you can wash your keyboard in the dishwasher. Anyone here done that?

Currently ramping up to OCD spring cleaning mode here.
    TenneespartacusAngelineTiger_Lily
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    spartacus said:
    You naysayers a are missing a whole new world dishwashers can upen up...who cares about the dishes, they.wash.anything.  floor vents, kids toys, greasy tools, car parts you name it..if it fits you can wash it. 
    That's what one of my son's comrades thought.
    He cleaned his gun in the dishwasher :expressionless:

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    AngelinespartacusTiger_Lily
    But then your dishes taste funny for weeks.
    Remember to play!

[Deleted User]TenneeHildaCornersTiger_Lily
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963

Old keyboards could be washed in the dishwasher; the new ones have a lot of electronics built in.

However, the dishwasher is the invention of the century...the nineteenth century it turns out.

@Maria said:
    Love just putting dirty stuff into the washer and get it out of sight!

OK people . . . It's time to confess!

Who has put dirty dishes into the oven when company is coming to visit?
    AngelinespartacusMariaElise