The home improvement and interior design thread

MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
This thread was inspired by @JellyBean and @Geekengeneer's kitchen remodeling.

We're in the midst of a flat renovation.
The task: Remodel the 70ies time capsule we recently bought to an elegant, subtle, light-filled modern apartment.
We're doing everything on our own, so it takes some time. And we're on a budget, not per necessity, but on principle.
Until now we've laid parquet flooring in three rooms, two more to come.
Painting the walls (off-white), hanging wallpaper and bathroom renovation are next.

Because we're sick of laying floor we'll focus on the living room for now. It's a not too large room, with windows all over the length of it. Floor already done: Beech parquet. Furniture we have so far: Built-in mahogany cabinets, still-to-be-restored cherry Biedermeier daybed. White round Rokoko side table, green Jugendstil glass lamp.  Basically what we found in the attic. And yep, I like mixing and matching ;)
We just ordered wallpaper samples for the living room. I like the first best, but it's probably going to be too dark.

So if you're also in the midst of a home renovation project, feel free to post pics. We can bounce off ideas and share experiences.

And this thread is going to keep me accountable. I'll post regular updates on decoration progress.

Comments

• KatherineKellyKatherineKelly SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,432
    When you are done can you help me with my place? . Its is cold and drafty and has no indoor plumbing.

I admire people who can work with their hands and have good eye/hand coordination.

I have tried doing these things and end up covered in paint or bleeding and very frustrated. Great thread idea and love the wallpaper !

First one is also my favorite
    oiuytfdfvhjkljhgvbnmj.jpg
    750 x 576 - 39K

Believe those who are seeking the truth.  Doubt those who find it.  ~Andre Gide

"If you love someone, set him free; if you have to stalk him, he probably wasn't yours in the first place."

AngelineMaria
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    I am not a wallpaper fan for my own house. I prefer painted walls. But good quality wallpaper applied skillfully can look really good. 

If you want home decorating ideas I suggest spending some time at the blog Apartment Therapy. There are zillions of inspirational ideas for all budgets. :)
    Enneagram type 9w1
    MariaAngeline
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I also like the first wallpaper ... there's a touch of green in it that works with the other colors you mentioned.

Cherry and mahogany are both red-toned woods. Beech is also warm toned. I'd stick with the white, red-brown and green accents palette. The second wallpaper has light blue, which adds another color nd that might be too much. I'd need to see the third sample in person to see the colors better.

And @KatherineKelly, if you have the budget, I'd love to help you upgrade your place. I love fixing up old houses, and do much of the work myself. All I ask in return is an ensuite bedroom all to myself. :smile: 

I'm looking forward to my next house, and fixing it up to my taste.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • TiredWifeTiredWife CanadaMember Posts: 31
    Ooh, awesome. We are about to start some renos too. Our first major project is turning two bathrooms into one bigger bathroom. I am pretty sure it was originally one room, but at some point a previous owner thought an awkwardly laid out powder room and a small ensuite with no tub, just a shower stall, would be better. Our basement bath has an old claw foot tub, so the only shower we have is in our ensuite (great for when we have house guests!) and the only tub is in the basement. 

So so the wall is coming down. A regular tub/shower is going in, along with a double sink and way more storage. We will keep it as a cheater ensuite. I haven't even started thinking about design beyond general layout, but I am really excited for this project. 
    MariaAngelineSignorePillolaRossa
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for all your input!
    Clarifying:
    When I say modern, I mean "modern", compared to the pure Baroque or Biedermeier living-rooms that are still seen in Austria.
    I'm going for a mix of contemporary and antique, as I need more warmth than a minimalist look can provide.

Walls off-white throughout the flat, wallpaper only in the living-room. I'm still waiting for the samples, but I think the second one is definitely making the race.

We won't have thick curtains, and definitely not ceiling to floor ones as the radiator is in front of the windows. My husband is an energy consultant: Curtains over radiator is not happening in this house ;) 
    Instead I'm planning very light cream roller blinds or sliding curtains (don't know how you call the in English), similar to these:

For insulation reasons the lower third of the window front will be closed and wainscoted with white panels, so curtains will only need to go down to the ledge.  We don't have a great view outside (but a balcony), so we're not missing out on a vista.
    Thankfully we have lots of storage, we decided to not rip out the built-in cabinets that came with the flat.

Biedermeier daybed will be upholstered in cream fabric. It's a simpler version of this bed, with the back looking just as the arm rests, no padding in the back.
    I'll make cream, washable rolls for the back and sides and got two of these cushions.

More ideas coming soon...

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    shibari
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    Maria said:
    Instead I'm planning very light cream roller blinds or sliding curtains (don't know how you call the in English), similar to these:

This is what I do for a living. If you need insight, let me know
    MariaBlueWolf
  • TiredWifeTiredWife CanadaMember Posts: 31
    @iam44 , can you talk more about your painted floors?  We currently have hardwood throughout our main level (including bedrooms) that are super beat up and we need to do something with them.  It isn't great hardwood to begin with either - narrow, short planks.  We are debating what to do with them, especially since every option will be hugely disruptive.  How do your white floors hold up to every day life?  I worry that with dogs and kids it would only last like five minutes.

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    edited March 2015
    My ex MIL had 12" white tile floors in her kitchen, breakfast room and laundry room, and hated them with a passion the entire 15 years she lived there. She had to mop them every day or they looked grimy, and that was after most of their kids had gone off to college.

You could always paint them some other color, and even paint designs or patterns on them.

"Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    ShepardKatt
    @Angeline,
    how durable is paint-over-tile finish?
    I have already bought it as first aid, because I don't want to renovate 70ies kitchen from above right now.

I suppose it's going to work great for backsplash tiles, but I'm thinking of using it on bathroom floor tiles as well.
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    I wouldn't think it would hold up at all unless you do messy or smelly scoring or chemical etching of the surface.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    HildaCorners
    edited March 2015
    We'd certainly have to do the scoring/etching routine.
    We decided on a two-component epoxy product; it's smelly and takes longer to administer, but the results are said to be good.
    There are also one-component synthetic resin laquers on the market, but they are not as durable.

We'll see. If it doesn't hold up we can always rip out the floor tiles I suppose.
    Angeline
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    If you look at the programs on  PBS.com (USA public television), the show Ask This Old House has one show with a segment on painting a tile backsplash.

They use a special epoxy paint, and show all the steps needed to make the paint adhere well.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    MariaRebuildingHusband
    edited March 2015
    @HildaCorners,
    Backsplash won't be a problem, but I'm not sure the paint will hold up on floor tiles.Our local DIY shops have tutorials for brands available here.
    We looked at some of them and decided on the epoxy paint specifically designed for painting kitchen and bathroom tiles. I'll keep you posted on the results!

HildaCornersAngeline