The home improvement and interior design thread

Comments

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited August 6
    @Angeline, my son is going to buy something like that. It just needs to be fast enough for his games, and I understand cable is fastest. Or has been until lately. He's going to check something out with his friends. I'll forward him what you recommended above, thank you!
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    Ah ... wireless generally isn't fast enough for games. Maybe he could get by with wireless most of the time, and only plug in when it isn't a tripping hazard! :D
    Remember to play!

Maria
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    We always lay the rug over most of the cable so that noone trips.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
  • MrGrimmMrGrimm Silver Member Posts: 971
    @Roses ; if you haven't dealt with the screen door yet ... don't bother with a repair kit.

It's just as easy to replace the entire screen, looks a lot better, and hardly more expensive.

Yes.  I got quite proficient at replacing our slider screen door at our old house.  We had a Beagle that went through it like three times going after squirrels.  It is easy.  Just take your time as you have to use a bit of force getting the spline in the track, so it's not hard to slip off the spline going too fast and then cut into the mesh.
  • RosesRoses USASilver Member Posts: 720
    Lol, that's what I meant by repair! Put a new screen on. Except I couldn't find spline or a spline tool and ended up using a flat head screwdriver and the old spline, which hasn't worked so well. Doesn't stay more than a day or two. Stupid stores want to sell me a whole new storm door. Since the door isn't standard-nothing about this house is standardized- that translates to entire new door, doorway, locks . . . I'm going to see if Amazon sells spline. I'm such a blond, I don't know why I didn't think of that before!
  • GeekengineerGeekengineer Sandy EggoGold Men Posts: 1,720
    Roses said:
    Lol, that's what I meant by repair! Put a new screen on. Except I couldn't find spline or a spline tool and ended up using a flat head screwdriver and the old spline, which hasn't worked so well. Doesn't stay more than a day or two. Stupid stores want to sell me a whole new storm door. Since the door isn't standard-nothing about this house is standardized- that translates to entire new door, doorway, locks . . . I'm going to see if Amazon sells spline. I'm such a blond, I don't know why I didn't think of that before!
    I've redone a couple of screens, and the rolling spline tool is a must-have.

JellyBean is my wife.
    HildaCornersJohn3
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Roses said:
    Where are you shopping?

I found mine in Home Despot, right next to the rolls of screening.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Angeline
    edited August 25
    @Geekengineer The Old Country = Brooklyn made me snort!
    Remember to play!

Tennee
    Angeline said:
    @Geekengineer The Old Country = Brooklyn made me snort!
    It made me do the same!

JellyBean is my wife.
    Angeline
    Hilda, my Home Despot (like that!) sent me to a local glass store, which had screen by the foot but no spline.  'Nobody replaces screens anymore. They just get new screen doors.' Which around here is more like nobody can afford new screen doors, so folks live with busted screens.
    Roses said:
    Hilda, my Home Despot (like that!) sent me to a local glass store, which had screen by the foot but no spline.  'Nobody replaces screens anymore. They just get new screen doors.' Which around here is more like nobody can afford new screen doors, so folks live with busted screens.
    Our house was built with non-standard everything.  I tried to find matching screens at Home Despot, but no dice.  Which reminds me that I still have a ton of screens still to fix.

Dammit.

JellyBean is my wife.
    Roses
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Our BORG (Big Orange, another name I like for Home Depot) must be weird ... but New England still has old fashioned independent hardware stores — and five and dimes. And I haven't been in a Wal-Mart since I moved here ... don't know where the closest one is!

Anyway, my local BORG has several different types of roll screening, plus low and moderate quality screen rollers. I didn't realize other stores in the chain would have none.

[And I need to go there this weekend to buy stone tile for my gecko's new, larger tank floor. Dry laid tile, with large sand-filled gaps ... it will look pretty and I think she'll like it.]

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Roses
    Geekengineer, I didn't know you lived at my house!

I want to just replace the hardware in the old wood windows, and a cracked pane of glass in one. Others think new vinyl windows are the way to go. There is no option to repair the vinyl windows with busted openers, they have to be replaced entirely, and I hear from the window sales guys that we can't expect the hardware on the replacements to be good for more than twenty years, then the windows will have to be replaced again!  How much bigger an energy saving deal are new windows versus old double panes? Mom hasn't had curtains because they "interfere with the view" but I will put curtains on as soon as construction is done on the new place and my folks move. Maybe blinds, but probably curtains-I like the softening effect. 
    @Roses, when I was in college, we had every single window in my fraternity house replaced.  The original were single-pane wavy glass in wonky metal frames with huge gaps (winter really sucked!).

The new windows were brand-new double-pane nitrogen-filled vinyl affairs, but they required new structure to fit properly.  So, for three (3) weeks, the window crew LIVED AT OUR HOUSE.  They all snored horribly.

The crew would go room-by-room, removing the windows and the existing wooden framing, then put in new 2x4s to frame out the new windows.  It was a tedious process, but it resulted in a huge improvement in the draftiness of the house.  Oh, and thankfully as soon as the windows were installed we had new siding put on the outside of the house.  It looked sooo much better.

I've never heard of the "you're going to have to replace the windows again in 20 years" thing.  That is annoying.

The newer the window the better when it comes to energy savings.  The latest and greatest back in 1995 is not as good as the latest and greatest in 2006.  There are always small improvements in manufacturing that add up to long-term savings.

JellyBean is my wife.
    AngelineHildaCorners
  • MrsJonMrsJon ColoradoSilver Member Posts: 466

@Roses

Go to homedepot.com and in the search box, enter:
    Fiberglass Screen Kit with Spline and Roller
    Purchase the kit online. Model # 3024907. It is $8.48. 
     Select "Ship to Store" (this is free)
    They will email you when it comes in
    Print out your receipt and take it to the Customer Service desk

I apologize for not giving the direct link, every time I tried it kept displaying all kinds of details about my own location!

The reviews say the kit comes with good instructions

I went looking for my dreams outside of myself and discovered, it's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it.  
           Anne Shirley - Anne of Avonlea

HildaCorners
    New windows will make a huge difference. It's not so much the glass, but the way they make the frames — there's a ton of leakage around old window frames.

The right curtains will help block the leaks ... but you'll probably need to sew your own. Check out a product called Warm Windows ... it's a combination curtain liner/batting insulation and a foil radiant barrier in one. It works really well ... if you seal the edges to the wall or window frame. The Warm Company used to sell magnet kits, you'd put one part in the hem of the curtain as you sewed it, and put the other part on the wall.

You can also take the cheap way ... pick up a piece of foil covered insulation board at BORG, and cut it to a jam fit in the window opening. Add tape handles, because you'll be taking it out every morning and putting it in every night. It's ugly, but it works.

[One of the many books I never wrote is full of energy saving tips. It doesn't take much to get me started on the subject!]