The home improvement and interior design thread

167891012»

Comments

• RosesRoses USASilver Member Posts: 720
    I always sew my own curtains. Only way to get them right!
    The windows don't leak noticably when entirely closed. The part that goes around to open and close is broken on most of them. So I stand outside with my hands on the frame and push and a kid on the inside pulls the latches down. Then they are closed. Really closed. So it's do we replace the hardware or the entire window? The 1986 windows have to be replaced because the hardware can't be. (Approx $6000 for the two, well, four because they won't replace just two, and they won't match the trim and look at me like I'm crazy and say that's impossible. See picture. The bottom window is the formerly operable that needs replaced.)  The 1958 windows can be repaired. One of them has a crack in the interior of the two panes, and that one pane needs replaced.
    Something needs to be done because we are desert climate and rely on opening windows at night for cooling in the summer. If we had AC we could just leave them locked.
    IMG_20160831_125129879.jpg
    1456 x 2592 - 2M
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    @Roses the only way to tell if a window is leaky is to do a smoke test. Here's a quick version.

Do the test on a cold, windy day. If you allow smoking indoors, use a cigarette, or use a lit incense stick to make a thin stream of smoke.Hold the smoking object near the window edges ... if the smoke is blown about, the window is leaking. [You can also hold a wet hand near the window and you'll feel a breeze, but the smoke is more sensitive.]

New hardware can help, but usually the problems are things like warped frames/walls, too much paint on trim, loose glass, or old construction methods. None of these are solved by tight locks.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    edited September 3
    A separate post for a new sub-topic.

It looks like I'm going to be staying in my current apartment for a while longer, possibly 3 years more. When I thought we'd be moving out quickly, I could tolerate 100 years of age ... now I want to fix it up. It is a rental, on a year to year lease.

The apartment is a quirky old 2 1/2 bedroom, 1 bath, on 2 floors of an old building, with part of the basement and attic. [The third bedroom is very, very small, but will make a nice home office for me.] There are plenty of nice old details: complex window trim, bronze door hardware, plaster walls, built-ins ... all covered by layers and layers of poorly applied paint. [Don't get me started on the bath and kitchen; those are for another post.]

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of the paint on the woodwork? I don't need to get to bare wood, just get rid of all the gobs and globs so a new coat of paint will show off the pretty details.

I've used paint stripper before, years ago, on furniture I could take outside. The stripper was too toxic to use indoors. I also tried the "safe" strippers, they were useless. Are they more effective now? I don't want to use heat or abrasion, the paint almost certainly contains lead.

Any suggestions from our resident experts?

[The Ensign and I found that one wall of one of the stairwells has a layer of latex paint applied over a dirty wall. It's coming up with fingernails and a damp rag.]

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    If your paint contains lead you should probably use a respirator no matter what you do. In fact if there is lead paint you should probably hire the job out to a pro service.  Your landlord is probably responsible for removing this toxic substance. It might be worth checking with the local laws regarding renters' rights.
    Enneagram type 9w1
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/lead-disclosures-rental-property-faq-29138.html

Because of the health problems caused by lead poisoning, the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act was enacted in 1992. This law is commonly known as Title X (Ten). Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations implementing Title X apply to rental property built before 1978.

Under Title X, before signing or renewing a lease or rental agreement, a landlord must disclose any known lead-based paint or hazards on the property. Both the landlord and tenant must sign an EPA-approved disclosure form to prove that the landlord told the tenants about any known lead on the premises. Property owners must keep this disclosure form as part of their records for three years from the date that the tenancy begins.

The landlord must also give every tenant the EPA pamphlet, "Protect Your Family From Lead In Your Home," or a state-approved version of this pamphlet.

A landlord who fails to comply with EPA regulations faces penalties of up to $16,000 for each violation. And a landlord who is found liable for tenant injuries from lead may have to pay three times what the tenant suffered in damages.

More Information on Lead Hazard Resources

Information on the evaluation and control of lead dust and copies of "Protect Your Family From Lead in Your Home" may be obtained by calling the National Lead Information Center at 800-424-LEAD or from the EPA's website at www.epa.gov/lead. In addition, state housing departments have information on state laws and regulations governing the evaluation and control of lead hazards.

Enneagram type 9w1
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    I don't know much of anything about strippers, but I know that Murphy's Oil soap works very well for removing lead dust.  My brother did lead abatement for a while, and swore by the stuff.  

There's also a cleaner called Awesome available at most dollar stores- that stuff chews through just about anything, so if you have some stubborn dirt it's worth the $1 investment.  Wear gloves!
    HildaCorners
    I'm aware of the local lead laws ... and if I were to come down on my landlord about them, chances are I couldn't renew my lease. In a town of insanely high housing prices, this qualifies as slum rent. [It's far from that in absolute terms.] The landlord would find a new, more compliant tenant in about 5 minutes.

Besides, I *like* doing renovation work. I want to do this myself. I will take all reasonable safety precautions, which is why I want to use a "safe" chemical stripper. Scraping and heat release lead, traditional strippers are highly toxic. I've done both, and won't do them on things I can't take outdoors, like window trim.

I've been reading, and it sounds like some of the "safe" strippers are effective, if you give them enough time. They discolor the wood ... not a problem, as I plan to remove 1/2" of gloppy white paint and replace it with one layer of new white paint.

• GeekengineerGeekengineer Sandy EggoGold Men Posts: 1,720
    edited December 4
    We have four cheap-ass builder's special fluorescent fixtures in our garage.  Each holds two 4-foot T8 bulbs.  Two of the fixtures actually work.  The other side of the garage is dark.

I went to Home Despot and bought a contractor's pack of "direct replacement" 4' LED T8 bulbs.  I started swapping them, and none of them work.

So, if I assume the LED bulbs are not defective, that means the old fixtures have an issue that prevents the LEDs from firing up.

That said, I can either work on each fixture by tossing out the ballast and rewiring each end in order to power the LEDs, or replace each fixture with ones designed to hold the bulbs I bought.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I plan on going back to Home Despot to find a set of fixtures to replace the ones I have, but rewiring would be cheaper (but more time-consuming).

IMG_3387.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M

JellyBean is my wife.
  • ozzyozzy TX USAGold Men Posts: 996
    Are you sure you can wire the LED bulbs directly and bypass the ballast stuff?  (do the bulbs say this is possible?)  

The amount of work seems almost equal either way.  You'll either have to take the existing fixtures apart to convert, or pull the whole thing down and reconnect the new ones.

If you get new fixtures at least you know they will work without fuss and they should last a long time, and maybe they will have a little more style than the builder cheapos.

IrishGypsyTennee
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    I finally have the radiant heater up, vented and the gas lines hooked up. All that's left to do is run the wiring for the thermostat and have the gas tech do a manifold pressure test. 

My my electric bills are outrageous running an electric construction heater. image
    IMG_2844.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    HildaCornersGeekengineerPen_and_SwordShepard