Being Recruited - Job Interviews and Offers - Do I tell Wife?

Comments

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    Awesome Bro.  Nice to have jobs seeking you isn't it?  Especially when you have the luxury of saying "No Thanks".
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    AngelineUnBetaMe
  • UnBetaMeUnBetaMe Through The GatesMember Posts: 1,211
    edited April 2015
    Tennee said:
    Awesome Bro.  Nice to have jobs seeking you isn't it?  Especially when you have the luxury of saying "No Thanks".
    True.  This is very important.  This scenario doesn't happen often. So, when it does, one needs to really make the most of it.
    The only time an employee really has any leverage is when a company wants to hire you, but you don't work there yet.  I can't stress how important that concept it.
    TenneeElise
    @UnBetaMe said:
    True.  This is very important.  This scenario doesn't happen often. So, when it does, one needs to really make the most of it.
    The only time an employee really has any leverage is when a company wants to hire you, but you don't work there yet.  I can't stress how important that concept it.
    Absolutely.  My current gig found me.  The offer was great, but didn't come with a robust package and I told them 'thanks for the interview trip, but I'm happy here, remember? good luck'.  The phone rang again 2 hours later...

People need to not be afraid to use that leverage for all its worth...

AngelineHildaCornersUnBetaMe
  • RemusRemus NY,NYSilver Member Posts: 382
    Back to the original focus of the topic, your wife.

Methinks you are too worried about what she thinks.

You should feel awesome you are being recruited and people respect you for your job skills.  If you want to share that with your wife, go ahead.  You don't need her approval though.  If she tried to bring you down or doesn't give you the respect you think you deserve, go on being awesome.  Its not your problem she's too narcisitic to appreciate your success.
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Congratulations on the offers!

It sounds like you've analyzed the jobs pretty thoroughly. Now you have to analyze the new city, and how you can make it a good move for your entire family.

Will your wife be able to get a new job that is fulfilling? Are there good schools for the kids in a good neighborhood you can afford? Are there equivalent activities/doctors/churches/ whatever is important to your family? Can you afford an equal or better house?

Since everyone is affected by a move, you have to take everyone's needs and desires into account. [I just watched Athol's Captain & FO video, and he discussed exactly this.]

If you can direct the conversation, you may want to ask your wife for input now. Not veto power, just information that will allow you to make the best decision for the entire family. But if she'll go control freak on you, make the best decision you can without her, present it as a done deal, and face her freak out only once.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Neither job requires moving to a new city. Just a little bit more travel.

My apologies if I did not make this clear.
    HildaCorners
    Make #2 fucking WORK for it.  You're the prize...

UnBetaMe
    Tennee said:
    Make #2 fucking WORK for it.  You're the prize...
    I hear you... but, from what I know about the organization and the compensation structure, there is no way they can compete.  I'd have to be making more money than the person hiring me.
    Doesn't hurt to ask, I guess.
    edited April 2015
    By the way... I brought the wife in on all the options in order to make an informed decision.  She doesn't like it when I negotiate back (so she says) , she sees it as me being disrespectful. I see it as part of the process.  I told her it was disrespectful to me to low ball me the way they did. 

She isn't a business person, but I think it's a DHV now that I have actual offers to consider.
    Angeline[Deleted User]HildaCornersKatt
    Inform her that negotiations are SOP.  Because that is in fact SOP.  

AngelineUnBetaMeHildaCornersThe_Dude
  • TigerTiger SeattleCategory Moderator* Posts: 2,324
    My daughter is at school in the mid west, she talks about that same unwillingness to negotiate is a cultural thing there. She has friends who are not willing to wait list a class. Did your wife grow up near the mid west US?
    edited April 2015
    Tiger said:
    My daughter is at school in the mid west, she talks about that same unwillingness to negotiate is a cultural thing there. She has friends who are not willing to wait list a class. Did your wife grow up near the mid west US?
    Both myself and my wife are from the mid-west.  I negotiate quite a bit as part of my work, so it's pretty natural for me now. Wasn't always that way though.

ETA: She takes it personally when people negotiate. Although, she has been practicing by selling things on Craigs List and is getting better at it.  Granted, it's different when you're talking about a $30 microwave :smile: 

Angeline
    Any interest/plan for an option 3 counter with your current employer?
    @generalzod - The beauty about these other opportunities is that my current employer can't really compete with these options. They could, but it would involve me moving and that isn't a possibility right now.
    I like where I work and this is the reason why the other opportunities are appealing. I wouldn't leave the organization I am at if these opportunities existed there without having to move.

• John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396

@UnBetaMe don't go without medical.  You can usually buy something from your employer's provider if you ask before you leave.  It's not cheap, but summertime is the season of ER visits.  It just takes one of those to wish you have coverage.

This is the time to go do something...grandcanyon, Yosemite, something :)

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    UnBetaMeMiddleMan