Scheduling Interviews when you are employed

I've decided its time to work on the money portion of my map and look for greener pastures. My job is crummy - low pay for what i do and poor management BUT its stable and does cover my bills. Basically I cant afford to lose it til i find something better/different. I have employable skills and a solid resume in my field so i have no reason to question if i will find a new position but I'd prefer not to have any time I'm not earning an income.

Question is - how do I keep my interviews under the radar if I'm already working? Phone/Skype interviews are fairly uncommon in my field (accounting). I do get PTO time but wouldn't it be rather obvious what i was up to?

I've never chosen to quit a job for another job so this is all new to me. I keep putting it off due to anxiety but there is no room for anxiety in the MAP. 

Comments

• SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    after hours? 
    cell call in the privacy of your car at lunchtime?
    cut out an hour early or come in an hour late ?

good luck
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================
  • TiredWifeTiredWife CanadaMember Posts: 31
    Just say you have an appointment.  People will usually just assume it is a medical appointment.
    frillyfunNeverSleptOnTheCouchHildaCorners
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    Doctor, dentist, have to take. A child to the doctor, etc. Frequently they will interview after hours as well.
    NeverSleptOnTheCouch
  • countrygirlycountrygirly SCMember Posts: 48
    Rorschach said:
    Doctor, dentist, have to take. A child to the doctor, etc. Frequently they will interview after hours as well.
    Do they? I wasn't sure if that was acceptable/common to request.

I'm in a position that started as entry level and was promoted to a mid/upper level position within the dept (without a sufficient pay increase. Fail on my part) so my interview frame of reference comes from entry level status.

I hate the idea of lying to my current boss. I like him, just not his boss the department head. 
  • BetaTesterBetaTester MichiganSilver Member Posts: 404
    Employers are sensitive to these needs.  Most will work around such issues.  Do not quit your current job,  You always look much better as a hire if you are currently working.  
    seriously
  • seriouslyseriously The mittenSilver Member Posts: 1,134
    Employers are sensitive to these needs.  Most will work around such issues.  Do not quit your current job,  You always look much better as a hire if you are currently working.  
    I agree with this.  If someone told me that they quit their previous job before interviewing for a new one and it didn't require a move to a new area of the country, I would assume this scenario ...

80% chance they are lying to me, and were probably forced to resign.  Which of course I wouldn't want to hire them.

15% chance their previous job was so miserable that they were going to have a breakdown.  Which means they may be emotionally fragile right now, and I'm not running a therapy clinic here.

5% chance they are an idiot.  I don't want someone on my staff who makes poor life decisions.  It effects them at work too.

PhilosophicEntrepren
  • AlphaZuluAlphaZulu Midwest USASilver Member Posts: 74

CG,

Don't feel guilty over lying about what you're doing during your PTO time or vacation days. If your employer asks, they're just trying to be friendly or show that they care. They're not (or shouldn't be) asking you to justify the use of the time off, so you're not really violating any ethics if you make up some little white lie.

If you're really opposed to any type of lying, you can deflect it by saying you have an appointment and there's a really long story that you're happy to tell them some other time (after you get another job!) but don't want to get into right now.

Good for you for having the courage to find a better job! Too many people continue being miserable at work and it really brings down their whole life.

Jason: "Damn it Morpheus; not everyone believes what you believe."
    Morpheus: "My beliefs do not require them to."
    AngelineHildaCorners
  • UnBetaMeUnBetaMe Through The GatesMember Posts: 1,211
    I've recently been in this situation.  I decided to just take the time off as vacation time.  That way I didn't have to feel guilty and/or lie to my employer.
    I have young children and work from home once in a while, so it isn't uncommon for me to be out of the office.
    Just my $0.02.  

Also, It's almost always easier to get a large pay increase by switching employers, than to try to earn a raise internally.
    Angeline
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    The interviewer will understand that, if you are currently working, you have to schedule the interview.

Depending on drive time, you could go to work an hour late or leave an hour early. Or you can take a long lunch. "I have an appointment" is all you need to say, or "I have some personal business."  If you are a hard worker and are diligent in working your hours, your employer should be understanding.

One more tip — don't dress differently than usual on days when you have an interview. For example, if you never wear suits to work, don't show up one day in a suit, asking for time off. It's obvious what you will be doing. Instead, leave the jacket in the car and wear a cardigan to work.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    KattBen
  • countrygirlycountrygirly SCMember Posts: 48
    Thanks for the advice. Resume goes out Monday. 
    AngelineSerenityUnBetaMe
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    In grad school, every time I showed up in a suit for a job interview the professors would ask if I was getting married.
    UnBetaMe