Not dating until divorce is final - attracted to a friend

elgringoelgringo VirginiaMember Posts: 71
edited April 2015 in Singles
I am separated and will be be divorced this summer (God willing). I tried dating while separated and it was a disaster.  My wife found out about it and confronted my GF at work.  It was very embarrassing.  GF and I no longer together. Not looking for more drama. There is a different woman who I have been friends with for years.  We used to be neighbors but she moved about 30 minutes away.  I always enjoyed her company and found her to be attractive, smart and with values I respect.  She is a high value woman. She is divorced and has children.  My daughter used to be friends with her daughter, but now they hate each other.  Not sure how that would pan out.  I was thinking of telling this woman that i would like to date her once my divorce is final, but im not sure if this is a good idea.  Would it be better to wait until the divorce is final? Any suggestions on having the daughters get along would be appreciated as well.
Tagged:

Comments

• leoslayerleoslayer NCSilver Member Posts: 1,920
    It serves no purpose to tell her now. How long till it's done?
    CowboyHildaCornersTenneeHowlAtTheMoon
  • elgringoelgringo VirginiaMember Posts: 71
    Next week it will be one year since the separation.  But I am waiting for wife to get a full time job. Hopefully that will happen soon and then we can proceed with the divorce. 
  • Frank_LondonFrank_London in transitSilver Member Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2015
    elgringo said:
    Next week it will be one year since the separation.  But I am waiting for wife to get a full time job. Hopefully that will happen soon and then we can proceed with the divorce. 
    I'd ask why you're waiting for your wife to get a full-time job, except that ultimately it really doesn't matter why. Surely you shouldn't be waiting. If you are planning to divorce her, just go ahead and do it. Also, I suggest you start referring to her as your ex-wife, or at the very least, "STBX" (soon to be ex).
    elgringo said:
    I tried dating while separated and it was a disaster.  My wife found out about it and confronted my GF at work.  It was very embarrassing.  GF and I no longer together.
    Who you are dating is none of your ex-wife's business.
    The fact that your ex-wife confronted your girlfriend at work shouldn't be "embarrassing", it should be grounds for a court order. That's basically stalking and harassment.

Unless.....

Unless you're not actually committed to divorce?
    Is it over? And maybe I should ask, do you and your wife still live together?
    I'm not sure if a triage is the way to go here since your marriage seems (seems) to be over, but more background would be good.
    HildaCornerscountrygirly
    edited April 2015
    I am waiting to divorce for a few reasons.  One, I can't afford it right now.  I live in an apartment and I am paying the mortgage at the house my STBX lives in.  I am a teacher and I have a summer job lined up and plan to use that money to bankroll the divorce.  Also I don't want to go to settlement now because STBX is only working part time and I would have to pay more with her making much less than I do.  She wants to keep the house and thats fine with me.  In order for her to be able to refinance to mortgage in her name, she will need more income to qualify.  

Here is some background on my failed marriage. STBX and I separated last April. STBX did not respect me. She was a bully and manipulator. I share the blame because I put up with it for years. The issue that finally drove us apart was her wanting a 3rd child. We already have 2 children, one through birth and the other through adoption. For more than a year, STBX said she wanted to adopt a 3rd child. I always said no. She would bring it up in front of the children, asking them if they wanted to be a big sister. I asked her to quit doing that, but she did it anyway. I did not like conflict, and this caused me a great deal of stress. It finally came to the point where she said that we would not stay together if I did not go along with her plan. I did not want to break up the family, and I gave in to her demands. That was a critical error. I should have stood my ground and insisted that we go to marriage counseling. But everyone makes mistakes.

We went through the process of the adoption which involved alot of paper work. I found out that STBX had been secretly putting most of her paycheck in a separate account for years. I had always wondered why she didnt contribute more to the household expenses. Anyway, her aunt also gave us alot of money for the adoption. I thought that maybe my feelings would change and I would want the adoption, but it never happened. STBX found a child she wanted to adopt and we were planning to go to China in a matter of a few months. I think I had a nervous breakdown. I couldn't handle the stress. I broke down and told STBX that I didn't want to go through with the adoption. She insisted that it was too late. I was very unhappy with STBX, and I was feeling less attracted to her because she was overweight. When I suggested that we both try to get in better shape, she yelled at me for calling her fat. So then I made another key blunder, I chatted up a coworker who had flirted with me before and told her I was attracted to her. The feeling was mutual. I told her that STBX and I would be separating soon. At first it was just an emotional affair. STBX found out about it and threatened to expose the affair to my boss. I asked her to go to marriage counseling but she refused. I went to an attorney. 

Things were really bad as I continued to live at the house. She hacked my facebook account and posted as me that we were going to adopt this girl from China. It was very embarrassing at work as people kept congratulating me. She would say horrible things about me in front of my daughter. She would dump water on me in the middle of the night and play loud music outside my bedroom in the middle of the night. We had not slept in the same bedroom for years. It was hell. I asked her repeatedly to go to marriage counseling. She did make one appointment, but she cancelled it at the last minute. I finally moved out. When I came to get my stuff, she was not supposed to be there. She and her parents were there. They had parked in the back yard so i wouldn't know they were there and her father had already changed the locks on the door. She didn't pay any bills for 4 months and told everyone either that I had left her for another woman or that I was bisexual. She told me in front of our daughters that she had joined a group called the straight spouse network and that it was really helpful. STBX has OCD and has been convinced for years that I am bisexual.  I am not.  She even called my mother to tell her that I was bisexual. So yeah, I would say its over.
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Frank is right ... waiting to divorce serves no purpose. In fact, in some states, if there are kids, there's a mandatory waiting period of a full year between filing and final. And as far as your wife's job, if that will change the amount of support you have to pay, you can file for a modification at any time.

Now for your friend ...

Don't tell her you want to date her "some day." As Leo said, that serves no purpose. Instead, you can hang out together without making it a formal date, building relationship comfort and a little attraction, then making a move after the divorce is final.

As for the girls ... how old are they? If they're in high school, they may be off to college before you get serious with this woman (if you do).

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Hilda I dont have the money to pay for an attorney right now.  Divorce is expensive.  I am a teacher and have a summer job lined up and will use the money to pay for a lawyer.  The girls in question are 12 and 13.  Both are divas. I agree that telling the woman i like her serves no purpose. I guess im just growing impatient.  This has been a long aggravating process.
    Wait, she's still living in the house and you're paying the mortgage? And you're paying rent on an apartment as well? This situation is untenable.
    Also I don't want to go to settlement now because STBX is only working part time and I would have to pay more with her making much less than I do.
    So.... what happens if she just stays on part time work? What if she decides to just keep stalling on you?
    You're playing nice against someone who had a secret bank account for years.
    I think she is better at poker than you.

She wants to keep the house and thats fine with me.  In order for her to be able to refinance to mortgage in her name, she will need more income to qualify. 
    That is not your problem.
    Yet you are making her problem your financial cross to bear.
    Split the assets and if she wants the house badly enough she can figure out a way to keep it.

And what about the kids, where do they live? They spend 50/50 of their time with you, right?
    HildaCornersJekAlexZ
    The kids basically spend 50/50 time with me.  STBX and I do not have a separation agreement.  Right now I see the girls every other weekend and i pick them up from school twice a week and they get picked up by their mom at bedtime.  I agreed to this arrangement initially because I thought it would help my daughters with the transition when I moved out.  I would like for it to be completely 50/50 once we are divorced. The biggest barrier right now keeping me from filing is lack of money.  If I had the money for an attorney I could see going ahead and filing this month.  But that is not the case. STBX asked me to keep my name on the mortgage for at least 3 years in order to give her time to get a job.  I told her no Im not doing that.  I don't really care about her keeping the house, but it would be nice for my daughters if they could stay there.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to move out.  Yes i agree that I can't continue to pay my rent and the mortgage.  I am not planning on waiting indefinitely for her to get a job.  Once I have the money from the summer job, I will file.  That will be in July.
    Frank is right ... waiting to divorce serves no purpose. In fact, in some states, if there are kids, there's a mandatory waiting period of a full year between filing and final. And as far as your wife's job, if that will change the amount of support you have to pay, you can file for a modification at any time.

Hilda, my concern is that if I settle while she is only working part time, she will have no incentive to get a full time job.  Why should she work more than she has to when i am paying her to sit on her ass?  I have been asking her to get another job since I moved out.  The only leverage I feel I have is that she wants to keep the house and she will have to get a full time job in order to qualify to refinance it in her name.
    edited April 2015
    elgringo said:

Hilda, my concern is that if I settle while she is only working part time, she will have no incentive to get a full time job.  Why should she work more than she has to when i am paying her to sit on her ass?
    She has no incentive to get a full-time job right now. After all, she's living in a nice house and her soon-to-be-ex husband is paying for it. Also if she stays part time she'll get a better divorce deal (you believe).

I'm getting the impression you haven't had any legal advice at all. Can you afford at least one visit to a lawyer?
    AngelineJek
    I had a lawyer.  He started a separation agreement but never finished it.  He was an asshole.  Yes i do need to see a lawyer.  I am going to do my taxes in a few days and will use the money from the return to see a lawyer.
  • DireWolfDireWolf USASilver Member Posts: 112
    Don't do anything that could compromise things with your divorce or kids.  That is your first priority, if she gets wind of something or your kids have a bad response, it could create more drama.  Lay low on this until it is final.   
    SherandoHamster_Free
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    Even though money is tight it is critically important for you to scrape together enough funds to buy an hour of time with a competent family law attorney. I used to live in your state so I can recommend an attorney to you if it works for you geographically. 

You really need to do this immediately. 

Plan to spend around $400/hr or so for services of a good quality legal counselor. Trying to save $400 now will likely cost you many tens of thousands in the near future. 
    Enneagram type 9w1
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    elgringo said:
    Hilda, my concern is that if I settle while she is only working part time, she will have no incentive to get a full time job.  Why should she work more than she has to when i am paying her to sit on her ass?  I have been asking her to get another job since I moved out.  The only leverage I feel I have is that she wants to keep the house and she will have to get a full time job in order to qualify to refinance it in her name.
    First, if you haven't filed for divorce yet you're still 100% married. No soup dating for you.

Second, if this is your concern you definitely need a lawyer, or an hour with a paralegal to learn about the law. What I'm going to say is how things work in my northeastern stte, but laws are similar in all the USA.

Alimony is as dead as a dinosaur ... in order to get more than 1-2 years alimony while you learn a trade (and show proof), you have to be in late middle age or older and a housewife for 20+ years ... in other words, totally unemployable.

Child support is usually determined by formula, and based on the difference between the two spouse's incomes, assuming they are working at the mid-income level in their professions, or at minimum wage. Given that you're a teacher, your wife would be lucky to see enough support money to pay rent on a 2 bedroom apartment in a bad part of town. And if she ever earns more than you, and you have joint custody ... she will have to pay you.

[Disclaimer: I'm not a divorce lawyer, but am a divorce client.]

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    JellyBeanJohn3
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    It is a rough road for you right now. It sounds like you are still letting your wife bully and guilt you.  You mentioned that she has an Aunt, so she can end up staying with her if times get rough for her. Either way, Aunt or street, it isnt your problem.

I am a single father. I left my wife and took my daughter.

I would suggest that you get at least a 2 bedroom apartment, and furnish it for 2 daughters.  At their age, they can have input about who they live with.  Show the courts that you have a stable and constructive home.

Stop thinking and acting like you have no worth, you will find it here.
    DireWolfJohn3
  • DireWolfDireWolf USASilver Member Posts: 112
    elgringo said:

If she is capable of full time work and not doing it of her own accord, you can ask the court to impute full time wages in calculation of child support/alimony.  
    JellyBeanHildaCornersJohn3
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    If you're at 50/50 joint custody then the biggest difference for child support should be based on the difference between incomes. But health insurance contributions is typically also a part of the calculations and as a teacher, you're likely to have better health insurance for the kids than your part-time-working STBX. It's even possible, depending on the amounts involved that your hopefully better health insurance would result in her paying you. But each state does this differently and you know who might have an answer? A lawyer. Go see one. It might actually save you money.
    AngelineJellyBeanHildaCornersJohn3
  • AlexZAlexZ MoscowSilver Member Posts: 164
    edited April 2015
    elgringo said:
    Would it be better to wait until the divorce is final?

It seems like a good idea to me, regardless of your situation. Captain is the last person who abandons the ship, right? Divorce is tough, emotionally and financially. Wouldn't be better to get over it first, reboot, and take full control of you life back? And then, after all is done, invite someone to share you new (awesome) life with you?

I would want to protect my new GF from the baggage of my past as far as it is possible.  

Captain in training

My triage  My MAP

DireWolf