So far, so good

georgegeorge Silver Member Posts: 1,514
edited April 2015 in Success Stories
Just stopping by to say hi.  Don't know if this is a "success story", but things are good.  The challenges of the past few years are mostly gone - I guess we made it through.  I'm grateful for that!  And thankful I found a supportive community here and folks who were really great at offering good advice when I really wasn't at my best.  My family is good - some challenges with the kids, and it's always really, really busy - but they're all ok. My job these days is basically to drive kids around, and not embarrass them by playing the 80s music station.  Ironic, because the 80s are,like, totally back. Hard work paid off, career-wise: I'm up for early promotion to the highest rank in my field and was requested to take on some extra difficult duties. Wish I could say that has meant a big raise, but in my field that's not likely these days. Maybe in a few years.  Physically, I've kept up with lifting and I can still do 100 pushups (I still find that hard to believe!). The stats?  6' 173 lbs.  Hardly a chick magnet but I get the rare IOI if I remember to be friendly and a little outgoing. It gets a little harder each year to stay fit - really felt it this year.  Knees!   My marriage is good: I lead a bit more, I'm calmer about it (like the "old" me), and I worry less. The challenging situation of my wife's old job solved itself when, yep, her old boss was fired for many serious felonies. Everyone was 'shocked' but me. I do a lot of repair work and building on the house, and my big auto restoration project is 1/2 done.  Wife insists I keep at the restoration, which makes me more interesting, I guess.  Learned some new shop skills too. I have to remember to make time for hanging out with the guys and to be fun in general - that's a problem in the winters, which hit me hard.  My ears still aren't great. But basically, the more I do the stuff I know I should, the better things get.  When I don't I don't have anyone else to blame. Biggest lesson  I've learned was: stuff comes in stages and phases, half of the challenge is to meet it head on and be smart about fixing it proactively,  and getting help if needed and part of it is just getting through, not freaking out and making it worse, and taking care of your health.  Part charging into battle, and part Zen master calm.  Easy to say, not so easy to do. Well, enough from me.  Hope you're all well.

PS this year we catch up to @Athol_Kay and @Jen_Kay at the 20 year mark!
AngelineShepardTigerRebuildingHusbandHildaCornersstillasamountainRorschachTenneeSerenitySweet_AvenueMaterStellieAlphaBelleBourneAgainal2682John3BlueWolftelyniHusband3point0

Comments